Will Dust 2 Dawson 2020 take place?

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by KHud, Mar 30, 2020.

1. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    This is the question that is being actively pondered at the highest echelons of Team Pterodactyl. With the US/CDN border being closed and the spread of the coronavirus still on the rise there is a great deal stacked against holding D2D this year. However, hope springs eternal, so a final decision will be delayed until on or about May 1st. The decision will be made based upon what governmental restrictions are in place and the health and well being of the participants and residents of Dawson City. Even if D2D is cancelled in May, if the borders are open and the restrictions are off in late June, we encourage all to still make the trip and help support the community of Dawson. Riders gathered in Dawson for years before there was a banquet, poker run or biker games… the important thing is to ride and share good times with friends old and new and maybe even a Dick or 2!
  2. lentil

lentil King of the Dad Joke and Senior Status Legume Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    howdy Have made this a sticky.

Sadly I have just cancelled my trip in June /July :cry

Far too much uncertainty
  3. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting this up MrHud.
    We here at TeamP do hope that many of you will carry on with your plans to go see Dawson.
    Non-Rally or not.
    Fite
    SunshineTom and Sparticus like this.
  4. The Dick

The Dick The Brick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canadian TeamP HQ standing by. Uncertainty is the mother of adventure! What is it called when you self isolate when you are already isolated?
    SunshineTom and Sparticus like this.
  5. Sparticus

Sparticus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Our group will be standing by until the last minute.And if D2D is canceled we will still plan on a Dawson ride later in the summer or even fall if the border opens.To much fun and tradition to not go.
    SunshineTom, Beezer, Mark907 and 2 others like this.
  6. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap
  7. caribooster

caribooster Not enough time...

Oddometer:
    There are 2 of us that are still planning on coming and will wait until May before we cancel our plans. The last trip was in 2014 and have been planning this for a couple of years.
    Sparticus and thirsty 1 like this.
  8. The Dick

Oddometer:
    Ain't no f-----g Rally! Just remember, what we call fall is August and a more moisture month.
    duggram and Sparticus like this.
  9. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    If the borders are open by June 1, I plan to be in the vicinity around that time.

Keep hoping. Keep healthy y'all!
    Sparticus and Kerrizor like this.
  10. caribooster

caribooster Not enough time...

Oddometer:
    I know that but a little denial eases the pain of cancelling a trip that we have been planning for the last couple of years...:dirtdog
  11. The Dick

Oddometer:
    I totally agree, you can only imagine what it is like to be literally at the real end of the road. Isolation is daily life for a good part of the year and actually a real part of our attraction.
    ptero, SunshineTom, Sparticus and 2 others like this.
  12. BushyBob

BushyBob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I too need to pull out of the official events. My sincere aplogies to my neighbors. If, as suggested, things clear up and my 71 years of motorized punishment see it is safe to just go visit, visit I will. BB
  13. USBYGS

USBYGS Riding the World

Oddometer:
    part of your attraction too...
  14. The Dick

Oddometer:
    Oh!, that's good teach! I know, it just naturally limits one's exposure and the accompanying pain and grief without having to do or say anything! Going to get a little bad tho, as I have designated May 1st as my retirement day! I might be able to escape isolation and then what a pandemic that will be! Fuck contact tracing, that will be out the window!
    You guys sure nailed your retirement timing! Cheers
    USBYGS likes this.
  15. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Instead of posting a new thread this seems like a fair place to share this. From a friend who's written her own books on the history of AK and Yukon, on this day in 1899: "Some people say the devastating fire that destroyed much of Dawson on April 26, 1899, began when a dancehall girl hurled a lantern at a rival. The resulting fire destroyed 117 buildings. Dawson, which sits on the east bank of the Yukon River at the mouth of the Klondike River, was rebuilt by that summer but had emptied out by fall as the gold had run out and stampeders had moved on to Nome."
    ‪#‎AuntPhilsTrunk‬‬ ‪#‎AlaskaHistory‬‬ http://www.AuntPhilsTrunk.com/
  16. The Dick

Oddometer:
    And here we are, still up to our asses in snow! The bright sun is killing the corona virus but having a hard time bumping up the heat so far!
    AK650 likes this.
  17. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    I can’t tell you how many times someone has described a place to me by saying, “It’s not the end of the world, but you can see The Dick from there.”
    Sparticus, TreasureState and Bigbob1 like this.
  18. The Dick

Oddometer:
    Get really brave when you know it is impossible for me to come down there and give you a hug!
    caribooster likes this.
  19. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    They have airplanes up there on the edge of civilization..... put up or......
  20. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    The decision on the fate of this year's D2D is delayed until 10 May. It ain't looking good, but we want to give it every possible chance before the plug is pulled.