Will Help With Alaska Planning

Discussion in 'Americas' started by justJeff, Oct 30, 2007.

1. justJeff

justJeff Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey fellow ADV'ers. I lived in Alaska for about 30 years and have ridden pretty much the entire state. I'm made several trips to and from Alaska. If any of you would like some help planning a trip just drop me a PM. I'm happy to answer questions or help with timing and route planning. There are some good ways to avoid covering the same ground too much, and I know some great dualsport stuff that you won't read about in any of the guide books. I can offer help with any sidetrips or excursions too. Just let me know a bit of what your tastes are. I'll try to get back with everyone relatively quickly, but please give me a little time for any complex route planning.

Alaska can be a great trip, the trip of a lifetime for many. With a little planning and knowledge not available somewhere else it can be even more special. I'm doing this to help out because I've met some great folks from this site. I'm not charging anyting of course, though if you'd like to buy me a beer on your way north or south I won't turn it down.
  2. JimC

JimC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jeff, that is a wonderful offer you are making. You have become a real asset to the community.

Jim in Sacramento
  3. Serp.

Serp. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will be in contact for sure.
  4. oomis

oomis What's a noob?

Oddometer:
    email on it's way! Thanks so very much for the offer.
  5. justJeff

justJeff Banned

Oddometer:
    Right on, I look forward to helping you guys, and it would be great to meet you at some point.

Tempo, thanks for the PM and I just replied.

Alaska is a spectacular place to visit via motorcycle. I've talked to a lot of folks that have just missed seeing some fantastic sites and such, so I hope I can help some of you maximize the overall Alaska trip experience.
  6. Bollocks

Bollocks Farts with an Accentâ„¢

Oddometer:
    :augie
    Linky
  7. justJeff

justJeff Banned

Oddometer:
    Bollocks, the whole ordeal over at F650 was because I offered to guide some folks to Alaska, and someone (Jesseehere I beleive) misunderstood and thought I was offering it for free, which I was not, though I offered, and did help some people plan their own trips without asking for anything. That is partially why I made it clear in this thread that there is no charge whatsover.

Shit like this that keeps getting dredged up from these forums with people only knowing half of the story gets pretty old. Read the post that Bollocks copied, I hadn't seen it before. The accusations or whatever you choose to call them about child molestation or something are pretty offensive and should help frame the character of those that posted it.

The thought that I spent countless hours posting pics and the AK trip report with some kind of ill intent is pretty laughable. Not that it matters, but I am indeed a self made millionaire. I'm not all about money. I admire anyone that has found contentment and happiness. I have good friends that continue to live in the bush of Alaska that by most standards don't have enough to be considered poor. They are however, extremely happy, and I admire them.

In spite of this re-dredging of this crap, it doesn't get under my skin. My offer stands, if some of you would like some help, I'm happy to do it. You are welcome to stay with me and my family on your way north or south if you like. I don't want anything. I hope that is really clear so that there is no confusion.

ON EDIT: To also show the extreme accuracy in the copied post, it mentioned me springing something on people at the last minute before departure about it costing something. That simply isn't true. The posts were around December, and we were talking about a trip the following summer, or the summer after that. I quoted some costs based on some possibilities, and apparently that was taken to mean just for actual costs or something, and I wasn't making anything. At least that is the way some took it. I had PM's from folks that had understood it and asked me about it. What I did do wrongly was to solicit business on the public forum, which was against the forum rules. I should have contacted F650 about buying an ad or something.
  8. blender

blender Just another rider

Oddometer:
    Oh sure, *now* you offer! Just where were you this summer when I did my trip, eh???? ;)

Actually, I enjoyed my '07 trip enough that I'm planning another one for maybe '09. The general plan is to head from Tok down to Valdez, ferry over to Seward, down to Homer, up to Denali. There's a road I missed just south of Denali that cuts across. Then I'll likely work my way back...

Advice is always appreciated. Thanks for offering.
  9. justJeff

justJeff Banned

Oddometer:
    I had never seen the post that is linked from Bollocks post. Within the pages of that post are posts from adv folks that talk about coming to an event at my house so that they can obstensibly kick my ass or some such childish crap. That's BS, we have kids, they live here too. Though such cowards rarely have the balls to do what they write about, my son is old enough to get online and read this crap. People for whatevert reason chose to question why I choose to live where I do. Why do they care? I have neighbors that are professional athletes, I assume that they may be here for similar reasons as our own, or maybe they have an entirely different reason. Who cares?

DAM and some of the other group at F650 developed a pretty big case of the ass over my solicitation for doing some trips. I understood once the rules were brought to my attention. DAM sent some pretty crappy PM's himself, and posted some real crap in the forums as well. I had countless emails and PM's from folks about what went on at F650, the vast majority extremely supportive and telling me some stories about some of the characters and personalities involved. Someone sent me some personal info about DAM and his divorce, and why his ex wife is now his ex. I figured he was being dirty, so I threw some of it out there. Some of it must have been accurate, because it obviously cut close to the bone, as he became pretty enraged. Do I wish I hadn't said some of what I said? Absolutely, who hasn't done something similar? If I could take it back, I would. I stooped to a pretty low level and obviously am not overly proud of that fact.

What's funny is that since that time Stromdog and I have had some nice, polite exchanges and have "kissed and made up" so to speak. (that should make those that insinuated homosexual behavior happy).

The sad reality about these online forums is that it's easy at times to stoop to levels that you normally wouldn't, and hit the enter buttom and put it our there for the world to see because it seems somehow impersonal. It can be easy to suppose that you really don't like someone, when in reality if you met them on the street you may like them very well.

There was a bunch of misinformation concerning a bunch of this, and there is obviously a lot of stuff that is just plain wrong in the quoted post from DAM. I don't have the inclination, or wish to waste the time, to rehash all of that, because I frankly don't care. Like I said, I could have handled it all better than I did. I've spent quite a bit of time on this forum trying to help some folks with things like trip planning, fixing electrical problems on their bike, etc. I see that Bullocks has a bunch of posts in Jo Mamma, though I'm sure he may have some helpful ones as well. If anyone has never had a post that they were less than proud of, I applaud you. It can be tempting to really flame someone that sets you off, and I've been guilty of that in the past.

I tried to throw something out there to help some folks, and in turn crap like this turns up. I read a thread for the first time that contains posts by classy folks talking about kicking my ass at my own home, The irony of some of this is comical to anyone with the mental ability to see it.

A few folks have PM'd me about helping them plan a trip. I won't go back on my offer to you. I'll check PM's for a week or two and figure out another way to communicate with you about your trip planning as I'm happy to help you out. I've thought I was done with online forums before, but always gravitated back to them. There is more good that goes on than bad, but I'm tired enough of the bad that I'm going to hang it up for a good, long while. As far as I can tell this forum doesn't really enhance my motorcycle travel much, though I have enjoyed meeting a few folks that do post here. The crap about coming to my house to "get me" pretty much put it over the top for me. I know it's baseless, and that the poster is no doubt a huge coward, but the whole thing is just too stupid to deal with. I'll check my PM's for a while yet, and wish you all well.
  10. malagato

malagato Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back to the issue at hand...

What time of the year might be considered optimum for travelling to and in Alaska, taking into account hot, cold, wet, bugs and winnebagos?

Thanks
  11. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    Travel in May or September. The weather gets less predictable, but you have fewer of most of what your are worried about.
  12. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went last late May to Mid-June and no bugs, not many RV's and most places are open. No guarantees on the weather, it is Alaska, and very un-predictable. So what-go anyway. No regrets.
  13. subspeck

subspeck NUB

Oddometer:
    This is a very generous offer so I thought I'd show you the post I have in the "Laying down tracks" forum. Any help with this trip would be outstanding.
    Thanks for any help.
    Steve

"OK, so I'm riding to Alaska next summer. I've recently been playing around with MapSource and came up with the attached route including a few side trips. I'm kinda lookin' for some input from y'all that have already made the trip. Maybe a little advice on scenic sidetrips, road conditions, cool little out-of-the-way camping spots, restaurants, oddities, etc. Anything you can add will be greatly appreciated.
    I plan on taking a ton of notes and pictures. My riding partner is an excellent photog, and between the two of us hope to come up with an extensive trip log when we get back.
    I've seen a route on this site from Inuvik to Tuktoyaktuk in the NW Territories which looked interesting. If anybody has taken this route could you let me know if this is feesible.
    It'll be 2 beast's making the trip, (BMW GS1150 Adv. and Triumph Tiger),
    and we plan on tenting it almost every night. Will be gone for about 5 weeks.
    Anybody else that may be planning this trip next year, feel free to contact me to exchange notes and information."
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments --><FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Files</LEGEND><TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG]</TD><TD>Alaska_Route.gpx (17.5 KB, 12 views)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FIELDSET>
  14. idea man

Oddometer:
    I thought I was doing well getting 3 weeks off. I need to change jobs and take 5 in between. That is awesome. Sounds like a great trip.
  15. Wahoo

Wahoo Persevering

Oddometer:
    I just have two questions. On the Alcan, say from DC to Watson Lake, what kind of average speed should one expect. In the 48 on 2 lanes I generally figure about 50mph. Should I expect more time on the Alcan? I am trying to schedule a trip for next summer and will want to make motel reservations in advance. Also, what about HY 37, the westerly route? Will the Cassier HY reguire more travel time?
    Then about rain; I guess HY 37 gets more rain, what about rain in early July? How much of a hindrance to sight seeing is rain in early July?
  16. idea man

Oddometer:
    Depends on when you go. If you go at the height of RV season (Summer) you'd be doing well to get 50mph on the mountain sections. The non mountain sections, if you are going 50 you'll be holding up traffic. That is a long ways and the terrain varies so much it would be tought to figure an average. Suffice it to say that in the last 10 years, they have done so much work on the road that cruising at 70+ is common place....eccept in the Rockies. Seems like the road is a lot wider and smoother that before. On a bike you can pass with, even the narrow bits will be a lot faster.
  17. srileo

srileo dot Indian snakecharmer Supporter

Oddometer:
    JustJeff,
    thanks for the great offer. I do need some advise on a ferry trip back from anchorage to say, seattle area. What does this cost for one person and his motorcycle? I tried looking up the alaska ferry website and simply could not decipher the ferry schedules, times, locations and $. I just need ballpark $ figures to get a go-no go idea.

many thanks,
    Shridhar
  18. Advdave

Advdave jubilado

Oddometer:
    AK info
    <HR style="COLOR: #575757" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title -->In early May, you may find some of the gas stations closed. Any time of the year, some may be out of gas, so generally, get gas when you see it, or get updates from rider going the other way.

I totally enjoyed the Cassiar Hwy 37 in early May, no RV's or traffic and no construction. This on a R1100RT. Slippery when wet, applies to the Top of the World Hwy too. I lucked out with the weather, but next time I'll be on knobbies on a GS for the Top of the World trip.

The Alaska Marine Highway system www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs will haul you and your bike (bring tiedowns) through SE AK to Prince Rupert, BC or Seattle. There's the occasional cross gulf ferry (some call it the felon run, because it's the only way to accompany a bike or vehicle and avoid Canadian Customs, who deny entry to anyone with a criminal record, including that DUI you got 25 years ago).

You can ship a bike from Juneau to Seattle, or vice versa, via Alaska Marine Lines, strapped on a pallet, for about $225. Barb at Alaska Leathers in Anchorage told me she routinely ships her bike from Anchorage to the lower 48 via Alaska Airlines air freight at acceptable prices.

In Fairbanks, the Harley Outpost www.harleyoutpost.com now sells BMW bikes and parts. Ask for Scooter, who's taking over the BMW stuff from George at Trail's End.

On the linkto the ferry system, you can find rates and schedules, but the schedules change as often as the weather, so when riding toward a departing ferry, it's smart to call ahead to make sure the boat's not busted.

Dave
    Juneau AK
    R1150GS
    R1100RT (for sale)