will I notice an improvement with a PC V on my '09 GS?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by OlyRider, Jan 15, 2019.

1. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had this bike since new. I love it. There is a good chance it is the single most farkled GS on the planet. Pick anything on the bike, and it has been improved. Anything.

I installed a booster plug years ago, and a G2 throttle tamer. The combination seems to help with the "surge" off idle. So does the Rekluse... ;-)

Right now I have 14K miles on the bike.

I installed a Power Commander V on my 2013 Honda CB1100. Night and day instantaneous improvement. Went from thinking about selling the bike to loving it.

Would I notice a big difference if I installed one on the 800?

Only really interested in hearing from those that have gone this route. Not theory...

Thanks!
  2. northern

northern Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been watching this thread with the hope that someone would step up with feedback on the PC on an F800GS.

Like you I have an 09 F800GS. My FZ09 had a PC V on it for fuel management for the aftermarket exhaust. Unfortunately the PC V caused problems last year, Dynojet said it could not upload or communicate. I ended up having to buy a replacement unit.

So if you find any other info on the PC V on an F800GS please share.
  3. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m surprised that we haven’t heard from an inmate that has added a Power Commander to their 800. I assumed it wouldn’t be so rare of an occurrence.

I’m also surprised that you had issues with a Power Commander on your other bike. This is the first time I have heard of a faulty unit. It doesn’t dissuade me, though. I would expect any issue with the unit to show itself immediately after the very quick install (simply plug n play) and would expect the distributor to replace it.
  4. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    lots of fans of the af-xied units here at half the cost of the PCV
  5. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lots of customer complaints about Nightrider regarding a total lack of customer support for issues with their product, though.

That’s a non-starterf for me...
  6. spencermarkd

spencermarkd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AF-Xied and PC V are not really the same product, either.. one spoofs the oxygen sensor signal and the other is a complete fuel system programmer. Apples and grapefruits.
  7. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The ECU in our machines does a great job adapting to changing pressures and outside temps, or mods done by us, you lose that with the PC V unless you get their Autotune.

So a device that allows adjusting AFR by skewing the lambda reported by the O2 sensor is the next best thing to a PCV+Autotune and a whole lot cheaper.
  8. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tried the PCV and it does not work well with our bikes. Had the Autotune as well but over time it kept fighting with the bike so I ended up removing everything off after struggling with it for an entire season. Just not a solution that works with the sophisticated fueling system on our bikes. Most have dumped their PCV for the AF-xied as I have and am very happy with this set up these last 4 years.
    Daryloftexas and OlyRider like this.
  9. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Indy!!!

Just the info I was looking for...
  10. Daryloftexas

Daryloftexas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have seen multiple pcvs fail. Usually at the shop I work at, if a bike cranks but will not start the first thing we do besides basic spark,fuel,battery checks is take off the power commander. If the problem persists, then we will start diag on the bike. 9/10 it's the power commander. Not saying they all fail but just like any other electrical component, when put in an environment with excessive heat and vibration, there is a possibility for failure.

just like indy unlimited i have since removed my pcv and am thinking of purchasing a new afxied