Will KTM launch a new 890 Adventure in 2020

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by kaertner, Aug 30, 2019.

1. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    He might mean closer to 5500. My R definitely takes a leap forward around there. Maybe higher .. christ I can't recall now :scratch
  2. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    no I don't
    the first adv 790 I rode didn't like to be ridden under 4000rpm in 3rd or 4th gear let alone a higher gear,
    corners I would normally take in 3rd had to be taken in 2nd

the adv 790 R
    didn't mind at all
    obviously it started to come alive round about 4000rpm
    and really started to shift at 6000rpm
  3. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My experience is that it will run along fine around 3-4k, but not lug - as in move slowly with lots of torque on tap. The engine runs just fine down there, as long as its pretty flat and moving forward with mass/momentum. If you hit a bog, or a hill of any incline, you better anticipate and downshift, or you will be slipping the clutch to make it through/up. Once through/up I will say, "damn, I took that a gear too high". I agree with others - the magic number is 4000, maybe 4200. At that RPM and higher, it has the internal rotational momentum to handle bogging/inclines (within reason), as long as the reduction in rpm caused by the effort doesn't bring it down below 4000 or you will be slipping that clutch again. Its all the result of lowering the overall (and therefore rotating) mass of this sweet little twin in the name of Unicorn hunting!
    cwk, Venturer and scfrank like this.
  4. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Wrong conversation I guess. I wasn't referencing the non-bogging rubicon, I was referring to that point in the revs where it feels like a power-valve on a 2T is opening. Especially in Rally ThR .. there's a point at which the bike hits turbo. But yeah, different conversation. As you were.
    scfrank and kubcat like this.
  5. RedRupert

RedRupert Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer:
    Riga, Latvia / Bergerac, France / Colchester, UK
    I for one, will be more than happy to see a 890 R Adventure. I'm disappointed by the lack of torque the 790 has compared to my carbed 990.
  6. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Different style of riding for sure. I enjoy a motor that has good torque down low as well. It took a bit of time to adapt to running higher revs. In the end the effect is similar once the brain gets reprogrammed to let the motor spin.

I'm perfectly happy with the motor now. Let it spin and there's plenty of juice on tap. If I decide I have to have more low rpm umph because I prefer the tractor feel maybe I'll pick up a T7 when they show up. The likes of 990s, 525s etc are not in KTMs playbook anymore.
    enduro16 likes this.
  7. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn’t think there was any difference between S and R concerning the engine or gearing.

I don’t mind shifting a bit more. I’m getting to love the engine.
    ZiggyInNc likes this.
  8. RedRupert

RedRupert Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer:
    Riga, Latvia / Bergerac, France / Colchester, UK
    Being a two stroke fan, I understand the method of riding, but enjoy the difference. My carbed 990 is practically unbeatable out of hairpins in the mountains, and brings laughter every time I ride these roads.
  9. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @RedRupert in total accord, the carbed LC8 engine simply has gobs of torque off the bottom which is insanely addictive... the 790 is much more like a 2 stroke with an appetite for revs - Totally different engines... That's why you need one of each! :nod

I've noticed that with more kms on my 790 motor, it's loosened up so that it's quite happy pootling through townships at 50kmh in 3rd gear below 4K revs without being snatchy or cantankerous... These motors have torque(s)... Just not gobs of it like an LC8.
    Get them singing and they are equally addictive on a big open dirt road... In Rally (throttle) mode, TC set at 3 or 4....

Guarantees big smiles with easy, long, raucous, controlled* powerslides... Crazy good fun!

* You can set the TC to have the back wheel 6 inches (and only 6 inches) out of line... or go totally crossed up. Too much fun!
    Just got to remember to have the front firmly planted.

YRMV :thumbup
  10. Chris S

Chris S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nowwhat likes this.
  11. PilbaraGoat

PilbaraGoat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope so
    100 hp, 180kg

and then i hope they release a 690 adventure
    75hp, 150kg
  12. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll take the 2021 490 ADVR Twin @60hp and 170kg for the best all-rounder ever
    kzeb likes this.
  13. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe the 890 is coming for sure look husky is producing the 901... This duke 890 r is 6lb lighter then the duke 790 which makes be believe the adv will be worse case the same weight of the 790 only with more trq and Hp I think 2020 is the last year of the 790 ktm are very dynamic when it comes to that the 1090 gone, 1190 gone, duke 790 gone
    If they keep it the same weight why keep the 790
    You will have a bike with probably 105-110 Hp
    And 70-73ft/lb. That is preaty much the same
  14. PilbaraGoat

Oddometer:
    Its all very bloody exciting

luckily for me ive decided not to buy a new bike for a few years yet - imagine if they build 5 different sized adventure bikes. 390, 450, 690, 890 and 1290. All with the basic, medium and rally spec options.

As a 690 fan i feel like the last kid picked in a game of footy - every other bloody size seems to get an adventure kit ..............
  15. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    180kg.....well if we are going to be unrealistic let's go with 120hp and 160kg and $8k ahahahahahaaa
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  16. PilbaraGoat

Oddometer:

Time will tell
  17. Noyah

Noyah poser

Oddometer:
    The life span of KTM 790 adventure is fairly easy to predict since it's only euro4, come 2021 they must be Euro 5.
  18. nordicbiker

nordicbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes they will I guess. From 1.Jan2021 all newly registered mc need to be within the emission limits of Euro5, which reduces several exhaust gases by up to 30%. Manufacturers compensate the power loss of Euro5 engines by increasing the stroke volume, thats why Honda upgraded the AT from 1000cc to 1100cc. The new 890 engine will need to be Euro5 compliant already now, because Euro5 is mandatory for homologations of new models from 1.Jan 2020. yes, 2020. And thats the engine that is used in the KTM790R clone called Norden901! So from 2021 on, when ALL new bikes need to be Euro5 compliant, KTM needs to phase out the 790 and use the 890.
  19. jmarleau

jmarleau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "KTM wants to maintain power and performance and be able to stay compliant with Euro 5 regulations for emissions. Tightening emissions means the company had to do something and adding to the displacement was its solution." - Web Bike World

There is a rumor floating that KTM will continue to sell 390s and 790s to non European markets, well after Euro 5 comes into effect. The 490s and 890s, along with the more restrictive exhausts with bigger and heavier catalytic converters would be sent to Europe first. Having said that, the EU did allow a two year period after Euro 3 was replaced with Euro 4. Many Suzuki dealers held the Euro 3 "2015 Hayabusa" on showroom floors well into early 2019.
  20. Jeff Sichoe

Jeff Sichoe ruddy bastard

Oddometer:
    Does this slide from a recent leak show the 890 adv?

Attached Files:

Eddy Alvarez likes this.