Will KTM launch a new 890 Adventure in 2020

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by kaertner, Aug 30, 2019.

1. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes it does, but it wasn't a leak - it was a product line roadmap presented at an investor conference and came directly from KTM's parent company AKA the man himself - Stefan Pierer. So the only question is WHEN, not IF. With Euro 5 set to kick in in 2021, we have a pretty good idea of when as well.
    Jeff Sichoe likes this.
  2. mgustafson

mgustafson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It looks like the 1090 is now a thing of the past, so an 890 suddenly makes sense.
  3. Bob599

Bob599 Bob599

Oddometer:
    The land of Beer and Cheese (Hartland WI)
    Does this show a 690 Adventure on the 790 platform????

[​IMG]
  4. kubcat

Oddometer:
    Nope - just the current 690 Enduro and 690 SM. The blurred images on the line above imply the 890 line, IMO.
  5. Zuppy51

Zuppy51 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would really like to see an 890. I've ridden the 790, and just find it too anemic. I have a 690 Enduro R, which is good for what it does best. I would like something with a bit longer legs for more slab riding. A 890 (S) model with smaller front and cast wheels would satisfy that need. Also, better bigger tank.
  6. offroadjunky

offroadjunky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I highly doubt that if you find the 790 down on power then the 890 won't be that big of an improvement,might want to look at a 1090 if you need the HP and torque.
    Dr Fixit, Zuppy51 and EvilSteve like this.
  7. Zuppy51

Zuppy51 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree, perplexes me they dropped it from the line up.
  8. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    Probably for this exact reason. Rather than having 3 different motors to EURO-ify every cycle, now there are two which are more clearly differentiated in the market. Personally I think the 890 will see a little bump in torques and maybe a tiny bit of HP but the bulk of the improvements will be in meeting EURO5.
    Dr Fixit likes this.
  9. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They wanted to make room to add a 990 the following year.

What's old is new again. ;)
    Antti, enduro16 and shooter_t1 like this.
  10. kubcat

Oddometer:
    The 890 Duke is 121 hp and 73 lb/ft, VS 790 Duke @ 95/64, so I think the ADV will be similar. Those numbers seem detectable by the "seat" meter in situations where it matters.
    enduro16 likes this.
  11. offroadjunky

Oddometer:
    Duke and ADV are different pretty sure you won't see that kind of a jump on the ADV IMO.
  12. kubcat

Oddometer:
    Uh, no. They use the exact same engine with a different map. So on the contrary, I fully expect to see a similar 20% bump in th 890ADV over the 790ADV.
  13. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's got a different map surely but also different cams designed for a bump in torque at a loss in HP for better off-road manners.

Also the 890 Duke hasn't yet been stranded to meet Euro 5 emmisions standards so it will likely see a loss in power when it does.
  14. kubcat

Oddometer:
    That makes sense and explains the lower HP in the specs

Do we know it's not already EURO5 at this point? I don't, but it makes no business sense for that to be the case. It's a brand new engine that many models will use, including those that won't be available until after EURO5 applies.

Even though I have no direct knowledge, I'm betting the ADV variant of the 890 will be about 116hp.
  15. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    Apparently the 2020 SuperDuke R has Euro 5 compliant hardware and will need a software update to actually comply. I could see KTM doing that with the 890 if the release it earlier. I could also see them doing that with the 790 but IDK what hardware would need to change in order to achieve that.

As far as power loss, the difference between the 790 Duke and the 790 Adventure platform is the more interesting one. I'm confident that the 890 Adventure will be higher in both Torques and HPs but, how much will certainly depend on the tune. I'd argue that the 790 motor is already relatively high revving even in ADV form so, I could see them ending up somewhere in the 105HP range and trying to push the torque curve more. IDK, I'm just guessing like the rest of us are.
    Toddv likes this.
  17. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I don't know, time will tell. But what I do know is that at last years KTM Rally the R&D guru from the mother ship, while on stage for the awards ceremony mentioned a bigger 790.. to me that meant a 850ish bike. I predict the same basic 790 with more displacement and low end torque. 2021
  18. jmarleau

jmarleau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure about this.

They raised compression from a high "12.7:1" to an extremely high "13.5:1", then added a knock sensor to compensate. They spec 95 octane fuel as required for this compression ratio. They also increased the the RPMs to 10500rpm and added larger valves to increase high end flow. For the 2020 model they managed to reduce the weight of the motorcycle by opting for lighter aluminum Brembo calipers. We will see what happens after the 2021 emissions gear.

None of these would be considered desired changes to and adventure bike.
  19. offroadjunky

Oddometer:
    Exactly,these specs would not be great for an adventure bike.I'm also not going to wait on bated breath for the next model that might be bigger and better because if I did that I would be in the poor house buying new bikes every year,I don't have the luxury of being a factory sponsored rider.
  20. misanthropic

misanthropic Zero

Oddometer:
    I like that idea. An 890 Super Adventure.