Will Metal Box disrupt TPMS signal?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Longrider9, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Longrider9

Longrider9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2014 GSW..my tpms has always activated quickly as I started riding.
    I now have a Cymark tool kit where my rear (plastic frame) pillion seat was.
    I’ve noticed that my tpms signal does not come on until I have ridden a few Kms.
    Coincidence???
    My rear will lose signal occasionally but usually comes back on later (suspect battery in rear is going weak).
    Could my metal Cymark toolbox be disrupting my tpms signal?

Attached Files:

2. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    If you're still with original TPMSs, their battery may be getting weaker and weaker thus the signal isn't transmitted faster...

It's all frequency operated so it's unlikely that your toolbox is the culprit - ymmv...
  3. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Original tire sensors? If so it's more likely to be the batteries.
  4. Longrider9

Oddometer:
    Not original batteries. Front sensor is fine. Rear becomes intermittent and I'm replacing it with tire change.
    Both my sensors would read on dash within a few hundred feet of the bike moving.
    Now it takes about a mile or more for them to read on dash????

I recently installed an Innovv K2 dual dash cam on the bike (control unit under seat in picture).
    Could this be causing a lag in my bike reading the tpms sensors??
  5. zeeklu

zeeklu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the SW Motech rear seat plate on my 2014 and was having the same problems with my rear sensor. They replaced my rear TPMS sensor last Saturday and now it works fine. It's probably the same on your bike.
  6. Bluetooth Tuner

Bluetooth Tuner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The sensor will travel through plastic and foam seat easier than metal box, however the sensors are in the wheels so traveling upwards, and towards the TPMS box, so like most say looks like your batteries are getting to end of life, or sensor is faulty. :nod
  7. Longrider9

Oddometer:
    Took a ride today without the Cymark box on pillion seat area. Both sensors displayed on dash almost immediately as I began to move.
    With box on, both sensors take a few miles to show pressures on dash???? Not an issue as long as both sensors keep showing pressure.
    Replacing rear sensor (only 1 year old) and see what happens.
    Thank you all for your responses.
  8. JurgenB

JurgenB daily rider

Oddometer:
    I have had similar issues on my 2014 after installing Clearwater Darlas and bunching excess wiring under the pillion seat. Also, batteries were getting weak. I replaced the rear sensor and rerouted the wires - that solved the problem.
    Bluetooth Tuner likes this.