1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Will national parks be closed?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AK2ID, Mar 18, 2020.

1. AK2ID

AK2ID Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you think the major National Parks will be closed?

I was thinking this summer would be the year to see Yellowstone and Glacier since the number of out of state tourist looked to be down. Now I am thinking they will be closed.

By the way... I am hunkering-down and practicing social isolation, but thought riding the bike (by myself) and camping seems pretty safe for me and others.

Just wondering.
    Rips Millar and scarysharkface like this.
  2. Kmendez

Kmendez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good question ?
    Hope not
    But will have to
    Wait and see
  3. apexal

apexal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    People don't know what's going to happen this week, never mind this summer. But, yes, I agree and believe that riding alone and camping can be fairly safe. I'm thinking that the worst is yet to come so theres no telling what restrictions we will be facing. But for right now for me it's stay at home, avoid people and local day rides only.
    scarysharkface likes this.
  4. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Currently in Great Smoky Mountain National Park, the visitor centers are Closed, but the Campgrounds are open. The visitor centers just closed in the past day or so..
    Davidprej likes this.
  5. fletch123

fletch123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think there is a very good chance the Parks will be closed.
    We are at the very beginning of this and I think it is going to get worse before better.
    It is not the virus, but the economic chaos that it is causing.
    Just read an article today that the disruption to the food chain is a real possibility. https://www.npr.org/2020/03/18/8166...hain-as-farms-worry-about-workers-falling-ill
    I am no longer thinking about riding for the time being.
    scarysharkface likes this.
  6. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Faking it/Making it

Oddometer:
    I'm still working, helping faculty get their technology needs adjusted to the new online-only paradigm. We're keeping the hand sanitizer business afloat while we're at it. I suspect we'll be shut down soon, but it's impossible to know. At any rate, I've been meaning to cut some trails around home on the 90 acres of woods my family owns, and I may actually get that done if we get shut down. I really worry about the people who are living on the margin already, both money-wise and health-wise. Those of us worried about riding (yes, myself included) are incredibly fortunate.

John
  7. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I bet they will close visitor centers, but you will probably be able to drive through them.

Riding should be pretty safe. Maybe just carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer for after you tough the gas pump.
    kantuckid likes this.
  8. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
    Campgrounds will likely shut down. Some are shut down already. As far as driving thru the parks, who knows?
  9. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
  10. BDO

BDO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
    Hey Rudy,
    I was just in DV. It was all open this last weekend, but I heard they’ve closed the visitor center now.
    I have no idea if they’ve closed the campground or stopped taking reservations.
    Are you saying they’ve closed down camping?
  12. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Visitors centers, campgrounds closing would be no surprise. Many National Parks have roads that pass through that most likely won’t be closed. Same with National Forests.
  13. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    Gary,

They started shutting down the campgrounds on the 18th along with the visitor's center... Panamint Springs is open for now according to Joel (NSFW) that is running the dEATh vALLEy nOOBs rALLy from 26-29 Mar 2020... some of the inmates have already backed out due to their locality/community concerns...

Untitled (1).jpeg
  14. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, the Noobs! Forgot about it.
    They need to scratch that.
    We just got back on the 16th.
    Thanks
  15. AK2ID

AK2ID Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The largest American National Park is Alaska (the whole state) and it is shut down pretty hard.
  16. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. AK2ID

AK2ID Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Grand Teton and Yellowstone closed until further notice. Just reported on local Idaho Falls TV news.

And so it begins...
  18. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Cherokee NF
  19. texas123

texas123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When the government shut down a couple of years ago, I rode out to Sam Houston National Forest. Other than a parks building being closed and some locked gates on the off-road trails, all the public roads were open. I wouldn't think this would be any different. I'm also not sure who would object to a person riding a motorcycle in rural areas. It's not like you'll catch anything from the trees. I work in a hospital, and I could really care less about this SARs or Cov-ID 19. The good old fashioned Influenza kills up to 48,000 people every year in the US and 3/4 million worldwide. About 38,000 people die from car accidents every year in the US too. Why isn't the fake news talking about that?
    wbbnm likes this.
  20. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW, Dr. Fauci from the National Institute of Health says the traffic deaths are dissimilar. But I do hear you cause road deaths, bad drivers, non-existent driver/rider training, lackadaisicalness toward that whole subject other than radar, are my favorite soapbox to climb onto!
    So I sort of get your point. A local nurse nearly died two yrs back from staph, a childhood friend of mine died from a hospital infection getting his knee scoped, lots of ways too bite the bullet. The newest way (I guess) is covid-19. It's ability to accelerate through a population quickly is said to set it apart from other viruses which includes lack of any tested treatment or a functional vaccine.
    My 5 careers, none of which were medical, why am I telling YOU! whats factual?
    I can see a busy, short trail such as a nature trail with signage, etc., being closed but a trail that heads for the boonies is stupid in my mind.
    I suppose a person who has unknown covid- 19 exposure then goes backpacking and gets sick might require extraction by personnel of that area but that's maybe a stretch of circumstances. Same thing toward us taking a PTW ride then having an accident?
    58% of my county is within the Daniel Boone NF and it's near our properties fence line, in fact. It's also a local bitchy point that we need to buy a day pass to cross our own fence lines!
    Interesting point here:
    I just took a peek as we speak and their website has a headline that all CG's, boat ramps, trails, etc., are open for your use & enjoyment ! Offices are now virtual and visitation centers are closed.
    Makes you wonder why the different approaches to closing a NF to the public? It runs from Ohio down through all of eastern KY.
    I checked the Cherokee NF which begins at the KY/TN state line and they closed cabins, offices and other places where people gather, which makes sense.
    There are four known cases in all of eastern KY so far, one in my own county where most jobs are elsewhere, or at least they were.