Will the F658GS overheat if ridden hard

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Mike.C, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Mike.C

Mike.C Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer:
    At the risk of bringing down the wrath of the mods for populating the forum with F this and F that, I have read as much as I can find and discussion about one of the major design differences between the F658 and F800 seems thin on the ground. We are about to decide between the two and this is the final piece in the puzzle.

Given that the engines on the two bikes are essentially the same, the question has to then be asked: Is the F658 cooling system under engineered for a hard slog in heavy going on a hot day? Or is it more a case of increased potential cooling from a larger and therefore heavier radiator on the F8 is just more for the sake of more and not necessarily better?

Has anyone actually caused an F658 to overheat in sand for example? To date I have not read any reports of it happening and therefore have to wonder if the increased cooling of the F800 is actually an advantage in the real world.
  2. GoneAgain

GoneAgain Huh?

Oddometer:
    to answer a question you have not asked.... :lol3

personally i think its possibly a tad easier than it should be to overheat the F800GS..... not sure of what this means for the 650.. :ear

3. brianjonesphoto

brianjonesphoto Hacked off

Oddometer:
    I have no idea, but since the 658 is an understressed 800 motor it should run cooler and my not need as much cooling as the 800. Hence the difference in radiators.
  4. AllOrds

AllOrds -------------

Oddometer:
    Overheating will occur very quickly if the front heat exchange unit (Next to the oil filter) is covered in mud or such.I did this once and have learnt to ensure its fee of crud.
  5. Mike.C

Mike.C Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you speaking from bitter experience - what happened?
  6. GoneAgain

GoneAgain Huh?

Oddometer:
    i wouldnt really call it "bitter"... but i've had:

- water spurting about a foot in the air up thru the little hole in the top of the overflow tank/bottle..

- The temperature gauge hit the top and start flashing,

- find that the fan kicks in regularly in city traffic on warm days (like this morning coming to work at 8:30...)

i've never had the bike 'stop' from overheating, but i have stopped to let her cool down a few times..

and a guess most of these instances have occured in 'hard' conditions
    (ie long stretches of deep sand in very hot conditions...)

so yeah, no 'real' problem, just gets me thinking this bike was designed in a european country that spend 6 months a year in the snow, not 6 months in 40+ temperatures.. i dont have that "problem" with my troopie :evil

some pics of these place etc here :D : http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535859

7. Mike.C

Mike.C Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the clarification.

Looks like the smaller radiator might be an issue in some circumstances, but on the other hand might be a case of for the few occasions when the potential is there we just take it easy.

I'm still not sure if it's a deal breaker on the F568 though but it adds to the big picture, the other biggie is the cast rims. We shall see.
  8. syaufu

syaufu Been here awhile

Oddometer:

.Woody wheels to have 650 spokes soon..I rode one.. 650 ..all through S. AM...we had trouble at high altitudes..ie 14-16000 ft..hoses leaked and then they overheated..have had a recall since and fixed the problem apparently..bj