Will the new V4 19" Multistrada erode GS sales?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by RL Lemke, Dec 3, 2020.

1. wellcraft

wellcraft Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 2020 GSA passes with authority but there's nothing like the adrenaline rush of twisting the throttle on my 200 HP super charged H2SXSE.
    MrVvrroomm and GeoAggie like this.
  2. FranknStein7

FranknStein7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might also be the person who wants their SUV to be as fast as a Corvette, ha!

The issue I see is that adding all this power to bikes brings its own set of compromises, including weight, complexity (including extra electronics to keep the wheels on the ground), and effects on fuel economy. I honestly think BMW has struck an extremely good balance of power and utility. Just compare the fuel economy between the 1250 GS and the Multi V4. Based on the comparisons I've see so far, the GS also still has more torque low down.

I'm all for BMW adding more power to the GS as long as it doesn't add a lot more complexity or compromise fuel economy (which won't be an easy thing to accomplish). I think a better alternative would be for BMW to keep the power the same and shave weight. However, people are just going to look at specification tables and still want more power. They will also think the V4 is lighter than the BMW, which may not actually be true based on reviews so far. Ducati also likes to inflate their horsepower numbers compared to BMW:
    M33 likes this.
  3. wellcraft

wellcraft Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool video I hope those guys compare the new V4 Multistrada to the 2021 S1XR, it would be interesting to see which bike comes out on top. Yup if I could afford a Vette and a SUV I'd want the SUV to be just as fast as the Vette :-)
    FranknStein7 likes this.
  4. parkcrf

parkcrf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 1250 GS makes more power and torque up to its redline than a multi 1260, then as revs continue to build past 8k the 1260 makes more peak. So in most realistic riding scenarios, according to the charts I’ve seen, the 1250 GS makes more usable power for the street.
    CheroRider, Oeths, Moronic and 3 others like this.
  5. sonnystile

sonnystile Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The new Multi seems like a fastball right down the middle between a GS and an XR.

I’d have to sell my pair (‘16 XR and ‘17 GS) to swing the new Multi.

And I might one day...

But today is not that day.
  6. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Biggest mistake you'd ever make.

Your '17 GS will be worth more two years from now than a '21 MultiV4.
    sonnystile and Oeths like this.
  7. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    And today's your lucky day as you can has Porsche Cayenne Turbo - an SUV that'd give Vette run for its monee... :D
    Gadgetech and FranknStein7 like this.
  8. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    You'd have to? Why??

Feel the need to trade down (from that pair) while spending twice more money?? :lol3

I'd rethink that if I were you... :-)
    sonnystile and MrVvrroomm like this.
  9. FranknStein7

Oddometer:
    But if you want the best off-roader and the fastest car, you get a Land Rover AND a 911 Turbo. The Cayenne Turbo will be an amazing machine, but it will never be a swift as a 911. That's sort of how I feel about the Multi V4S. It's trying to be four different machines at once, and that will definitely suit a lot of people nicely. If I had unlimited money and garage space though, I would get a 1250 GS and an S1000XR.

Honestly my interest in the 1250GS and the S1000XR is a big reason I got so interested in the V4S in the first place. It seems to straddle both machines very nicely. At this point in my riding career though, I'm a little more interested in comfort and touring (and fuel economy is part of that), so I'm going with the GS this round.
  10. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Very wise choice and you won't be disappointed!! :thumb
    FranknStein7 likes this.
  11. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    New Test 1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    -2wheelsgood- likes this.
  12. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    New Test 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. FranknStein7

Oddometer:
    ^^Very interesting comparison. They do describe the BMW as being more comfortable and more confidence inspiring at normal speed. They also say it feels lighter than the Ducati. Multiple outlets have called out the aggressive engine breaking on the Ducati as well. I never really heard people complain about the engine braking on the GS, and for 2021 they implemented something called engine drag torque control (MSR) that is supposed to mitigate engine braking even more. Sounds like the Ducati may still be the better route for aggressive riders who are used to riding sport bikes. Personally, though, I think the GS will be the better bike for me.

Capture.PNG
  14. FranknStein7

Oddometer:
    Also, this is probably the first outlet to weigh and dyno all three bikes themselves. The 1250 GS was 569 lbs wet and the Ducati was 558 lbs wet. They said the BMW felt lighter in practice. Ducati continues to overestimate their horsepower numbers as well: 15 less than advertised (whereas the GS was 7 less than advertised). The S1000XR actually had a hair more HP than advertised!
  15. Staylo

Staylo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, one ‘negative’ they listed is now a moot point. They liked the GS’s ‘BMW branded’ brakes over the Ducati’s Brembos. Oops.
    FranknStein7 likes this.
  16. Dogslobber

Dogslobber Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    From what I've read here and elsewhere the Hayes is better braking as long as they aren't leaking. I have no personal experience with those brakes, just reviews.
  17. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    ^^ Poor RoI ain't it?? :lol3
  18. parkcrf

parkcrf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My experience owning 2 Multistrada is to expect at least 30% right off the lot then difficult to sell as no one rides them much and there are many low mileage examples to compete against in the used market
  19. FranknStein7

Oddometer:
    My first bike was a used Ducati for this reason. Got an I incredible deal on a Monster that was old but only had something like 200 miles on it. I remember I really wanted a Triumph classic at the time but the used ones held their value so well. And I definitely couldn’t afford a BMW back then.
  20. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    In addition to low mi used Multi's on the market, some of the dealers do have 2 (sometimes even 3) years old brand new bikes on their showroom floor, with rather modest discounts, so one extra reason as to why Multi's have rather low resale values - demand lower than supply...