Will you downgrade from R1250GSA to 2012 R1200GSA

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by shrini23, Jul 27, 2020.

1. shrini23

shrini23 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've a R1250GSA and one of the main reason that I'm not taking it off road is,
    1. mental block that I've that I don't wanna drop my bike which is darn beautiful and costed a whole lotta money upwards of 24K
    2. I'm thinking of buying a R1200GSA oil cooled which is used so I can take that to all off roading and beat it coz it's already used and wouldn't mind as much.
    Is this a wise decision and also since I cannot keep two bikes in garage my 1250 has to go if I've to get the oil cooled 1200 into the garage

Am I thinking in a sane way or should I just shut up and keep the R1250 and drop it like it was meant to be
  2. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're afraid to drop a practically new, admittedly expensive toy, then buy something that concerns you less. If you'll keep the 1250 - I would - and need another bike to learn off-roading, or just one that won't upset you when it inevitably gets dinged, then a (much) lighter 450-700cc bike is a great deal easier to handle in loose stuff.

I could see picking up a used 1200 if the 1250 were to be sold, but when the newer bike will be retained that's a lot of money & garage space tied up in two practically equal machines.

Another, likely even less costly, option would be to take an off-road riding class on a rented 12X0 bike. Not sure how those courses are running during the plague, but they provide real value for the money.
  3. speedkelly

speedkelly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Buy some crash bars and me done with it.

Have fun, lot cheaper than buying a 2nd bike
    scottdc and PDXRider70 like this.
  4. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    If you have the extra money.. sure why not?
    If u dont, then no.. lmao..

See? Simple..

I keep 8 bikes in the garage.. 3 GSes..

some times I feel that's too many.. some times I feel one more for good measure...

One life man.. live it..

Ive been debating whether to add DMC side car to my 2019 R1250GSA HP for the dogs.. or to the 2014 GSA instead...

R1250GSA too nice to be wasted on dogs / side car or why just not enjoy the new one best you can.....

Ahhh.. the 1st world country issues we have...

God Bless Freaking America!!!
    MGV8, bajaburro, Frank smith and 6 others like this.
  5. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Honda XR650L. I’ll drop that any day in the dirt. My GS is one of my road bikes.
    bajaburro and Frank smith like this.
  6. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Didnt catch the no room in garage bit.. my bad. Just leave the 2nd old bike outside with bike covered.. all good :)
    Deanowade and szurszewski like this.
  7. KiwiKurt

KiwiKurt Amor Patriae

Oddometer:
    My verion:Ride the hell out of the bike you got. If it tips it tips. You bought it to ride it and enjoy it. Every nick and scrape and scratch tells a story. Rack up as many miles as you can

if you want something to look pretty for the ages, invest in a Pollock.
    DBS125 and ExodusRider like this.
  8. CollinsB

CollinsB Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on ExodusRiders' comments!

A smaller dirt bike, plus a GS is ideal. Doesn't take up much room and the money you lose trading for a 1200GS... would about equal the cost for a dirt bike.
    Problem solved!
    Tinker07, LANCIVPT and ExodusRider like this.
  9. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    I always say.. if you had 6 months to live.. which bike would you take on the trip?

Answer's the same ..the best one you own..lol
    KiwiKurt likes this.
  10. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    No
    Yes

:D

You should consider improving upon protection of R1250 so when (not if) you drop it, it "dusts" itself off, you pick it up and carry on... :deal

Also, you could join one of the training facilities and improve upon your skill-set so you know how to off-road safely both for your own sake as well as bike's although bike can always be replaced... :deal
  11. LANCIVPT

LANCIVPT Carbon Pilot

Oddometer:
    Invest in additional protection on the 1250 where it matters. For developing your skills on a bike meant to be dropped get a dirt bike ( in my case a Husky 501) and extra personal protection. I’m 50 and now not concerned about dropping my expensive GSA I’m worried I’m going to hurt myself too much on the 501.

Since I have been riding the 501 on ATV trails and ST my GS riding buddies say they can’t keep up with me anymore on our usual gravel and two track trails we do on the GS’s. I thought everyone was just going slower - lol.
  12. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    You didn't buy a rapidly depreciating asset as an investment.
    Enjoy it or why own it!?!

upload_2020-7-27_16-10-12.png
    m931a2, rdbonds, LANCIVPT and 2 others like this.
  13. Mapachin

Mapachin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those heavy bikes are not meant for trashing them around in challenging off reading, but gravel and fire roads, unless you are a competent off roader or you have deep pockets and do not give a dam shit to trash it. If not, better get a proper off-roading like the Yamaha Tenere 700 and have fun.
    Boxerbreath likes this.
  14. WADE-O

WADE-O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd rather burn em up then rust em out.
    ExodusRider likes this.
  15. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    ^ They all were new bikes at one point in time and they all have been dropped once or more frequently afterwards - so there's that "mental unblocking"... :D
  16. Dorian

Dorian huge carbon footprint

Oddometer:
    Go out in your driveway (or a reasonable facsimile) and knock it over. Then practice proper big-ass heavy GS bike pick-up technique. Done.
  17. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I always love looking at older model bikes. I love your idea actually. There are so many older model bikes that are in great condition with so few miles...almost like they never had their chance at running to their full capacity or limitations because someone bought it and never rode it. Not faulting that, but to each their own. I'd say do it! I love the older GSA1200s. Take a red 2010 R1200GSA for example, that was my dream bike for a long time. Hell I might still get one. But in reality, get a DR650 for that LOL.
  18. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    ^ I believe OP was looking at getting older bike that has been used ie. drop-tested which doesn't cost as much as brand new bike (>$24K) that OP already has...

If new bike is sold at somewhat significant lost due to depreciation and then older but almost new bike purchased for less money, the trilemma ie. mental block of dropping mint bike still remains, no?

Yeah, the old bike will cost less than the original bike but still, it can get expensive to fix so it's kinda moot point, as I see it... :hmmmmm
  19. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    I tell all my friends and fellow riders to do the same.. take the new bike outside and push her down once.. get it over with... scrape the rim a little...

Of course when I take delivery of every new bike and try to, I always somehow talk myself out of doing it by saying..

"why jump out of a perfectly good airplane.. why push over a perfectly upright bike...

Oh the hypocrisy!!.
    MGV8 and regnaDkciN like this.
  20. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ I guess it depends on everyone’s opinion or idea of what a used bike means to them. My example would be an older GSA with 50k+ miles, well taken care of but plenty of life left. I’d drop the shit out of that and run it into the ground.
    regnaDkciN likes this.