Willf650 & Riderchick head to Canada 2-up

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by riderchick, May 19, 2006.

1. riderchick

riderchick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Willf650 will probably strangle me for posting this, but if I'm the one that has to plan our routes then :fitz on him (tee hee, just kidding, sorta:smooch).

So we're heading out from Wilmington DE on June 3rd for our first weeklong 2-up adventure. Our goal -- 1. avoid tolls & superhighways where we can 2. Spend my birthday at Niagra Falls (june 4th) and 3. Make it to Canada and back in one piece with as little fanny fatigue for me as possible :lol3 . Yup, that's about it right now.

We're using a Garmin on the trip, but we're both pretty new at using it. I'll be playing with City Select over Memorial Day trying to figure out some routes, but I know some of you local yokles have already done the legwork and found the roads not to be missed. So, fess up, share those waypoints and give this newbie m/c traveler some hints & tips. OH - and if you feel like taking a day off of work to join us for a ride in your area, PM or email me - we love company especially if you're a good ride leader.:lol3

Here's our rough agenda (only Niagra is set in stone, anything else can be changed and probably will be many times).

June 3 - Wilmington DE to Wellsboro PA
    June 4 - Wellsboro PA to Niagra Falls (Canada side)
    June 5 - drive somewhere -- maybe have breakfast and a walk around Toronto
    June 6 - Ottawa?
    June 7 - Montreal?
    June 8 - ? maybe somewhere in NH, VT or ME
    June 9 - ? ditto June 8th
    June 10 - start heading back towards DE
    June 11 - get home mid afternoon/early evening

Looking forward to hearing from you expert folks.
  2. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take pict, I can't wait to see this :rofl
  3. ehatcher

ehatcher Hello? Is this thing on? Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on the pics. A full, detailed report will be expected as well. :D

Are you guys camping at all, or are you going to hotel it?

Eric
  4. Hakatan

Hakatan quality > quantity

Oddometer:
    I did a New England to Idaho ride (via Canada) about 5 years ago. It's been a while, but looking back at my map some favorite roads in the Northeast included:
    • Massachusetts: SR-2, from Fitchburg west all the way to the NY line -- the further west the better
    • New York: SR-30 through the Adirondacks
    • In Canada: Highway 41 from Napanee, Quebec up to the Trans-Canada Highway near Pembroke.
    Also,
    • New Hampsire: 302 through the White Mountains was always a nice ride
    • Vermont: Route 7, seem to remember it passed through lots of 'New England-esque' towns :1drink
    • Maine: probably too far out the way for this trip, but I liked US-2 through Bethel etc, and of course US-1 along the coast.
    The problem is if you head too far East (e.g. Maine) you end up having to face Boston traffic on the ride home :puke1

BTW, if you're camping...I was impressed by the Provincial Parks I stayed at in Canada. Nice folks, nice facilities, etc.

+2 on the pics!
  5. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a very cool trip, but now why would you want to leave Delaware, home of at least 2.5 short stretches of decent motorcycling roads? :lol3 (I can say that, I've lived here since 1962). I know a lot of backroads routes from DE thru PA into NY, but they'd likely take you too long if you're planning to make Niagra Falls by Day 2. Have a blast! Once you get into NY and Canada, you may see a lot of riders heading south towards Americade.
  6. riderchick

riderchick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh, we're definitely hotel-ing it. I think after a full day on the bike I'll not only need a nice bed, but a hot bath -- preferably in a hot tub....LOL.

Jennifer

7. riderchick

riderchick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I just did draft one of our route on CitySelect and have included Hwy 41 from Napanee crossing over to Ottawa and Rt 7 from Montpelier to rt 2 W to Albany.

Only 12 days til take off -- whoo hoo!

Jennifer

8. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jen,
    Check out The Most Scenic Drives In America it is a Readers Digest book, should be in most book stores.

They say to check out RT100 in VT, RT 14 in N VT, RT 19 to 392 in NH, Kancamagus Highway to 16 in NH. Actually there is a bunch of stuff for you in there. Go get the book :lol3
  9. riderchick

riderchick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks -- I'll run by the bookstore this weekend and check it out.

Jenn

10. dgrs2

dgrs2 Where'd I leave my knee??

Oddometer:
    Stop by JT on your way. I'd take a ride north with you for the day then come back. Maybe my wife will ride along.....:D I'm sure we can find some fun roads along the way. Are you riding the 650?
  11. riderchick

riderchick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's definitely do-able. It would be great to meet you -- Will's regaled me with stories and pictures of the rally, bummed I couldn't take part, but very happy to have been dry that weekend.

We're riding on the 650 - that's the only bike he has that I'll ride on right now (LOL).

I'll get back to you next week on a meeting time and to make sure you're still available to ride.

Jennifer