Wilmington, OH to Chattanooga,TN and back.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by HuntWhenever, May 17, 2019.

1. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    I had some work to do down in Chattanooga, so I thought it made sense to take the Sport Glide down and test out some recent touring modifications.

I ran through a few rain showers on the way down Sunday at Cincinnati, Florence, and Knoxville. Nothing too bad, and I had my rain gear on and pin-lock in place.

The Sundowner saddle has been really nice on the daily commutes, and continued to be nice on this trip. The metal cage style mini floorboards ended up being kinda rough on the feet after a couple of hours. I'll be replacing those.

The weather throughout the week was great. I got to take some nice rides after work each day. I took W Rd up to Signal Mountain...that road was crazy (to me). The switchbacks were like parking lot U-turns. I also rode around Harrison Bay a couple times.

The project got wrapped up half a day early, so I ended up leaving Thursday afternoon instead of the originally planned Friday morning. Even though this would put my last hour of the trip after sunset, I checked weather along the way and it looked like I was clear. Wrong-O.

I stopped at Dry Ridge, KY for my last fuel stop and to grab some supper. I seriously considered getting a hotel there as it was already 7PM and would be 9PM before I got home, plus I was getting tiered from working half a day then hitting the road. I checked the weather one last time...30% chance of rain, mostly after midnight. I'll take those odds.

After supper I noticed it was sprinkling a bit. I put my rain jacket on, but not my pants. I figured "just a little sprinkle, I'll get North of it here in a bit". I did eventually get North of it...and hour and a half later. By the time I got to Florence I was in heavy rain and my pants and boots were soaked. I was in that rain until the Jeremiah Morrow bridge south of Wilmington.

It was still raining when I was going down the hill to the bridge, and not raining coming uphill after the bridge. More importantly, the roads were dry again. I gave a thumbs up and said "thanks, Lord". Then I turned the throttle to Blow Dryer setting and set the cruise. I managed to dry off a little in the last 20 minutes of the trip.
    B10Dave, staticPort and Samspade like this.
  2. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting ride. What roads?
  3. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    Nothing exciting. I just took I-75 down. I was going to take I-75 to St Rt 62 in Georgetown on the way back (when the original plan was to head back Friday morning), but I didn't want to stretch the ride home any more into the night.
  4. blip

blip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    pics or it didn't happen
  5. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    LOL...I was enjoying myself to much to grab any pics.

I did find a new restaurant to frequent next time I'm in the Chattanooga area. Couch's Barbeque near Ooltewah.