Wind noise and bikes. On the verge of giving up riding.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Alexander B, Apr 1, 2017.

1. paquo

paquo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are amazing. Although i get this soft popping noise out of the right side in crosswinds or around trucks. I was going to take them back as you get a 30 day trial. But then i tried them back to back with my regular buds without music playing and they are really quiet and only pop when it's gusty out.
  2. beemerjim

beemerjim Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm curious about the sound canceling earbuds. Do you have to listen to music for them to cancel external sound, or do just put them on and it's quiet?
    Thanks
    Jim
  3. paquo

paquo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well if you don't want music a pair of good quality plugs work better, but yes you can use them without being hooked up to a phone
  4. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    From a Safety perspective, I think it's better to filter out harmful sounds via earplugs, as opposed to blocking out a majority of the sounds with music. Safe motorcycle requires among many other things, having the ability to hear what is going on around you.
    Perazzi and ricochetrider like this.
  5. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    3M 1100 foam plugs are excellent, much better than cheapo foam.

Moldable silicone sold at drug stores for swimming work well too.

My tinnitus is permanent, but plugs help.

I don't find ear plugs have much effect on hearing what is going on around me in traffic, so I do not believe they reduce safety, as someone said on the previous page (he used the word stupid).
  6. mxz

mxz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Schuberth C3 Pro with 3M foam plugs and a decent tall screen! But giving up riding? You must be very sensitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RVFlyer likes this.
  7. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    Even the custom ones wear after a while. Got a new Arai, it was very noisy - got new custom plugs. Problem solved.
  8. beemerjim

Oddometer:
    I just got a set of the Radians "mold your own" earplugs someone suggested in an earlier post. I'll give them a try on a trip I'm taking for the next couple of days, and report back.
    The package says 26 db noise reduction

Jim
  9. Vectored2adv

Vectored2adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hate being on a group ride and an earplug gets unseated forcing me to stop everyone or I have to catch up later. I have literally changed bikes due to wind buffeting.

Wind noise is a real challenge for me also. I bought the decibuls molding plugs and will try those. They work great for some riders.
  10. t90125

t90125 n00b

Oddometer:
    I have been suffering exactly the same way as the OP lately, and was also contemplating giving up riding. I've had tinnitus for over 10 years and riding longer distances (70km+) seems to aggravate it considerably, despite correctly taking all precautions to protect my hearing and reduce wind noise. It seems that getting tinnitus has made my hearing much more sensitive. This thread has given me some hope, and next year I hope to trade in my Versys for a R1200RT or a naked bike.
  11. Alexander B

Alexander B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get rid of that Versys! I did a test ride on a 2016 Versys some weeks ago, and the buffeting was awful at highway speeds (Schuberth S1Pro + 3M plugs...). MT09 and Z900 are MUCH less noisy at higher speeds!
  12. Alexander B

Alexander B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I would give your post many extra "likes" if I could!
    XR750 likes this.
  13. t90125

t90125 n00b

Oddometer:
    Indeed! Since starting to research this topic, I've come to learn that Versys are some of the worst bikes when it comes to wind management :( I really like the look of the new MT-09. Will have to test ride.
    Alexander B likes this.
  14. TwinsFTW

TwinsFTW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Absolutely get a MRA spoiler or similar.

I just recently got one of the cheap Russian ones from eBay (saw a number of other Tenere guys say they were pretty good, and less than half the cost of a MRA). Holy cow, what a difference. I thought my Tenere was pretty good on wind management before. Now it's incredible.
  15. arnoldus

arnoldus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got an MRA Tour on top of my +9cm Givi windscreen on the Deauville.
    The only thing which helps against noise (for me) is to put it as if it were a higher windscreen / extension. Then there is slight buffeting instead of a lot of buffeting.

Putting it parallel to the main screen, or upper edge to upper edge, doesn't do anything.

However, the extra lever arm makes the main screen vibrate a lot more. I need to find a way to brace it, stiffen it, as taller aftermarket windscreens tend to break on the Deauville.
    Perhaps that will also reduce buffeting even more.

So, something to be tried, but YMMV.

[​IMG]
  16. beemerjim

Oddometer:
    So, I got the Radians do it yourself custom molded earplugs and gave them a try. They were easy to do, and felt perfect. Wearing them around the house, they seemed to really do a good job blocking sound, and stayed in place. On the bike, however, the left one came slightly dislodged every time I put my helmet on, or shortly after I got underway, and I couldn't get it to stay snug, so it didn't block the wind noise. The right one stayed in place and blocked sound quite well. (the pkg says 26 db noise reduction).
    I always had trouble getting regular foam earplugs to fit my right ear properly, so they are definitely different, and the problem may very well be with my ear or earhole shape.
    After several attempts , i gave up on the left one, and went to a foam earplug in the left, and the molded one in the right, and that worked very well.
    I'm not giving up on getting the left one to stay put, but for now, it's easy to tell which one goes where. ;-)

jim
  17. onlybetx

onlybetx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s not bike specific. You need ear protection. I run Sure SE215 in ears with silicone cups. Blocks out all harmful wind noise and you get great audio quality if you like listening to music while riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. arnoldus

arnoldus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't recommend the MRA Tour on a GIVI screen on a Deauville. While driving on the motorway today, it broke off! No cracks or other warnings, just *bam* into my face.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alexander B likes this.
  19. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 2010 R1200 RT that is amazingly quiet and way sportier than I need. You can adjust the windscreen with the touch of a button to move the still air pocket for any direction that the wind is coming from. On a fairly calm day, on a slow ride, I find I that I can get away with no ear plugs, though I usually wear them anyway. I can also adjust it enough that my wife is in a much quieter pocket. Oh yeah, I have a foot peg lowering kit that helps the creaky knees. My tinnitus came from too much time on the flight deck of the Kitty Hawk. Guess that gives my age away.
    Good luck!
    Don03st and SelfPropelledDevo like this.
  20. Alexander B

Alexander B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like I said, the stock screen on the RT is still at least 2" too short to fit me. If I hunch down, it gets really quiet, though.
    And I found basically everything else about the R1200RT very much NOT to my liking.