Wind noise and bikes. On the verge of giving up riding.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Alexander B, Apr 1, 2017.

1. husky390

husky390 Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. abnslr

abnslr rides a motorcycle

Oddometer:
    I’ve been using the three-flange military style earplugs. They help, but I would still like more. I’ve tried foam and wax, though, and so far these work the best. I did find, when I had a loaner bike with a big fairing and windshield, that helped.
  3. Bob W

Bob W Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bose Noise Cancelling Earbuds solved the problem for me. Worth every penny.
    n8mandy, Dan Alexander and DiabloADV like this.
  4. DiabloADV

DiabloADV Semi-Occasional

Oddometer:
    Quite right. But for me, if I get the foam ones in far enough to have max seal...I can't get them back out. I have tweezers in all my jackets and the tank bag so I'm sure to be able to pull the plugs out when I'm at my destination.

I guess I need to get the ones with strings on them...
  5. Beemer Dood

Beemer Dood Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Unless you have some special condition, getting the most sound reduction from foamies is not a matter of how deep they go into the ear canal. It's about making sure that they are inserted properly. Absent that special condition, you should not need tweezers to get them out. if you go with the strings, keep the tweezers handy, sometimes they pull out of the foam. They're not meant for retrieval, rather they're for keeping them handy when they're needed intermittently.

Here's a video I posted earlier that some may have missed on how to do this. FEW people wear them properly.

strongbad, Mr. Canoehead and husky390 like this.
  6. OSUgasman

OSUgasman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure wish I could get rid of the chronic tinnitus. Very bothersome. Honestly, can't even remember when it started, feels like it's been there forever.
  7. duke944

duke944 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know this thread is old, but there is an explanation for some people (like me) who get ringing ears even wearing ear plugs and having a fairly quiet bike - it's called body conducted sound and is discussed in this article http://physicsbuzz.physicscentral.com/2011/08/lowering-volume-for-motorcyclists.html.
    For those who suffer from tinitus, the only way to avoid ear ringing is either ride a bike with literally no wind noise at all or stop riding. Just an explanation for those who are so confused in this thread, saying things like "dude, just wear earplugs."
  8. Alexander B

Alexander B Long timer

Oddometer:
    OP here! Did not read the article, but I am very familiar with the body conducted noise. The problem is extra bothersome on my DS bike, an XT660R (thumper). At highway speeds it suffers some turbulence due to the shape and size of the radiator shrouds, vibration in the bars and some in the seat. At speed, I feel the "noise" through my body. I always have tinnitus after riding it above 60 mph for any distance beyond a few miles. That is with the best 3M plugs and a Schuberth full face helmet...

By the way, I have started using a balaklava religuously, as I have noticed that the way it presses my ears against my head rather than against the helmet makes for less noise. I suspect the additional layer of cloth reduces the problem somewhat, too.
    Matt-J2 and bobw like this.
  9. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Matt-J2 likes this.
  10. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have had tinnitus for about 3 years and riding for about 50. Thankfully it's intermittent - some days all day, others just in the morning. I keep meticulous track of when it's around and what seems to affect it. I can ride on days it's not happening and not have it appear during or after a ride. Nor, often, the next day(s). In fact, it seems to make no difference whether I ride or whether or not I have tinnitus. With tinnitus, however, riding will not extinguish it, unlike a few curious tricks I've managed to discover - and may be related to body conducted sound.
  11. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Just got one - without the camera - and I actually had a fucking California asshole try to run me off the highway - wish I would have had the camera because I would have pressed charges. Anyway - on the noise cancelling - I will just say this helmet is fantastic - the sound quality for the music is the best I've ever experienced ona motorcycle, the Bluetooth works Sena good, and the helmet overall is really decent. Mine is a XXL and it does fit pretty dang tight, so I think you may need to order a size bigger than usual.
    Dan Alexander likes this.
  12. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    I don't know if it's within the OP's option or choice; but my ancient GL with the Vetter-copied fairing was a revelation. Big and intrusive though it is, it really punches a hole in the wind. I could smoke a cigarette behind that. I could ride without eye protection. I DO ride without insulated gloves - it blocks the grips as well.

The fairing on that bike is a Honda make and singular to the Silver Wing; but it's an obvious copy of the Vetter Windjammer. You occasionally see a good Windjammer put up for sale on Fleabay or Craig's Lust. And you will have to cobble quite a bit to make it fit...I recall reading the account of one Honda CB1100 owner who got a Honda CB750 Windjammer and installed it. It worked, but he had a lot of time and fabrication involved.
  13. Don03st

Don03st Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You put wind and bikes together and weird things happen. Bikes need either a big fairing or none at all. The 1050 Tiger in my avatar was a great bike for the most part, except that it made the wind so loud at ALL TIMES that wind management became one of the parameters of its replacement- which turned out to be an easy choice with the RT anyway. My Bonnie has to be naked or you get buffeting/loud wind right into the helmet. The biggest surprise is the Urban GS with its tiny little cowl up there that works WAY better then it should. Go figure...?
    Alexander B likes this.
  14. duke944

duke944 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've gone through many bikes and many dollars trying to make those bikes quiet enough to ride without ringing ears, and I also went through many types of earplugs and noise cancelling earbuds that did nothing to help. The R1200RT with a calsci shield is the only bike that was quiet enough - I didn't even wear earplugs with it and never had an issue. I recently sold it because it's way too big and heavy for what I need/want. I took a chance and just bought a Honda 600 Silverwing scooter and added a large Givi screen I can just barely look over. I am getting some turbulence noises that although don't seem loud with my earplugs and helmet at higher speeds, I'm left me with ringing ears. Unfortunately I'm going to have to sell it and give up riding.
    I know it makes no sense for those without severe tinitus to understand, but when your ears ring after a ride you are extremely agitated and miserable until the noise subsides over a few days. If only I realized the damage and sensitive ears I would get while for years I stupidly rode noisy bikes without any ear protection.
    Montford and Alexander B like this.
  15. rat

rat Dirty Hippie

Oddometer:
    I wear earplugs that I had made for me. $80 Canadian, about 15 minutes from start to finish. I can hear voices, hear my engine, hear horns, etc. But no ringing from wind noise, no irritation whatsoever. 1000X more comfy than foam plugs. I highly recommend them to everyone that rides. I've got tinnitus, btw, due to a seriously loud "bang" about 2" from my left ear about 15 years ago.
  16. duke944

duke944 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tried not one but 2 sets of custom earplugs, made no difference for me. By custom I mean I went to a business that filled my ear with goo. Body conducted sound waves caused by wind turbulence is the only explanation - and earplugs have absolutely zero effect. Tinnitus is not the same for everyone, some have worse degrees than others.
    Alexander B likes this.
  17. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    the trick I learned with custom ear plugs is to keep your mouth open while the stuff sets up. That way when they are dry and installed your jaw will be closed and it gives a clamping action on the plug and makes it seal way better.

Like this which my custom guy never did ...

[​IMG]

Try it yourself before spending big money ... if it works then spend more for better ones. https://www.earplugstore.com/custom-diy-ear-plugs.html

I now have 2 R1200Rt's that I got last year and I'm amazed at how quiet is is behind the windshield. It's electric so just adjust till the proper quiet noise and turbulence level is reached. On my other bikes I always bought the lowest possible shield and even removed the windshields totally like on my GS's. I remember being in Florida on a K100RS and pulling over and unscrewing it and bungeeing it to the back seat I was so pissed at all the constant noise even with earplugs.
  18. Alexander B

Alexander B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly. I have the same experience.
  19. Alexander B

Alexander B Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Sealing off" wind noise is not the big problem. Body conducted turbulence cannot be isolated with plugs, in my experience, shared by many other riders.

By the way, sorry to hear about the accident and tinnitus.
  20. duke944

duke944 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Such a shame, the Silverwing handles so freakin sweet and is so ergonomically comfortable, oh well. The worst battle I had was with my Ducati St2 - I tried everything including a Madstad bracket and screen, fancy earplugs and Arai helmet. I would literally be seeing stars and having difficulty standing after an hour long highway ride - my ears would be SCREAMING. I can see why there have been suicides blamed on tinnitus, I could not live long if my ears were like that permanently.
    BobcatSig likes this.