Wind noise and bikes. On the verge of giving up riding.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Alexander B, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    You are not going to get any help with posts like that one....
  2. Sonicbooms

Sonicbooms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some good ear plugs, problem solved. Its that simple.
    Peels and Don03st like this.
  3. dengwynn

dengwynn AT LARGE

Oddometer:
    Wow..I'm not the only one who is bothered by wind noise...misery loves company.
    There are some excellent perceptive suggestions and complaints here.

I found two things no one has mentioned yet :
    1. Padding the inside of my helmet's ear chamber with a paper towel quiets the noise I hear and never hurts as earplugs seem to.
    2. The sharp top edge of an angular headlight (honda shadow) creates irritating turbulence
    As has been mentioned here many times, the same applies to windscreens.
    I reduced the windscreen on my FZ1 to a miniature one I molded in fiberglass from my cat's water dish and it helped.
    3. My experience matches what has been amply stated here many times over ...no reason for me to repeat that

I also have tinnitus but I still ride
    Matt-J2 likes this.
  4. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, it's not as simple as that.
    Alexander B likes this.
  5. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    Yep. Just get some helmet speakers and crank them to 11! :D
  6. Sonicbooms

Oddometer:
    Ive owned some noise producing bikes. My 83 r100rs comes to mind, ear plugs fixed it.
  7. exhdrdr

exhdrdr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had this same bike and windshield with a madstad mount between the givi and the bike. No buffeting and practically no wind noise when wearing custom molded earlplugs.
    Alexander B likes this.
  8. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly!
    Alexander B likes this.
  9. arnoldus

arnoldus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Related stuff I came across:
    Hearing loss not only from noise but from body vibration between 1-80Hz:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3480898/

I remember reading another study linking vibration to hearing loss, which theorized a genetic marker which causes sensitiviy in some people. I can't find it right now. Will edit when I do.
    Alexander B likes this.
  10. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    Need both a well designed full windscreen (not a tiny flyscreen), and custom fitted earplugs, not "off the shelf" ones.
  11. Peels

Peels Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a sport screen....soon to be replaced by touring i think. TONS of buffeting noise. My ears will ring, and feel "fuzzy" and imbalanced if i ride too long unprotected.

So, I wear collar style wireless headphones. listen to music at low volume. this does two things.

1, cuts buffeting (booming) noise, which is actually pressure changes, from your ear a little. 2. music keeps my mind focused on riding, and mitigates fatigue. I turn music off in City areas.

Sometimes, shorter rides, or just to change it up, ill just wear foam earplugs.
  12. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Before I bought a Sena headset with speakers in the helmet, I used earbuds for music and noise reduction. I found you don't need the expensive earbuds, just ones that have the baffles on the earpiece. At one point, I replaced the single baffle on my earbuds with one with multiple baffles and found that helped cut down noise from outside the ear.

I went to the Sena headset and found that even with -33db earplugs in, I could still easily hear the music through the speakers. I think if you only use earplugs on shorter rides...you won't have to worry about the noise eventually. You'll lose your hearing.

I've always wondered about the logic of the HD and other cruiser riders. They turn up the volume on the dash speakers so they can hear their music. So that means the noise that would normally cause hearing loss is being drowned out by the music volume from the speakers.
  13. TheProphet

TheProphet Retired; Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    I agree, speakers on a Bike are inconsiderate of anyone around you (not everyone appreciates your taste in music) and there is no way the rider will ever hear that music properly what with outside noise, wind, etc.

Nothing is more obnoxious than a bike at a stoplight with blaring music pouring out of it. More of the "Look at me! Look at me!" insecurity syndrome/attention getting measures. In the end, it makes us all look bad, and hastens further legislation against motorcycling.
  14. MisterShandy

MisterShandy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those who have a setup with very little wind noise or turbulence, do you look through the windscreen or over it?

I don't like looking through the screen so on my new bike bought a short windscreen and the turbulence is unbearable. Thinking about going with a tall one that I look through.
  15. Bob W

Bob W Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Before I had an adjustable windshield I would cut them down to nose height where I was just looking over it.
  16. Nicksta43

Nicksta43 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My stock windscreen is notorious for how bad it is. The noise and buffeting is really bad. I've never really been super sensitive to those issues but it is an area that could use improvement so I've been experimenting. I've changed the height, angle and used different brackets that move it away.

I know everyone is different but what works best for me is a steeply raked shield, more like a fairing than an upright windshield. I get the smoothest air with the least noise and buffeting that way.

I also got a new helmet that actually fits and is pretty aerodynamic. (Shoei RF1200) Its amazing what a difference that made. I found that I can run my shorty screen without my head getting whipped around now. If I sit up just an inch it's dead quite at 75mph. I've determined the slight wind noise I'm getting now is from the mirrors. I think I'll try to pull them off and if that helps I'll get some bar end mirrors.

IMG_20180321_184346097.jpg
    Eddieb likes this.
  17. frostybollox

frostybollox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just get a sportbike... S1000rr stock screen 5 foot 10 shoei RF1200 no excessive wind noise or turbulence until very illegal speeds (allegedly) whisper quiet calm and relaxed 40-80 mph
  18. vince82

vince82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah I just got on a ne 2018 Tracer 900 and GOD IT'S LOUD. I cannot hear the engine at all, at highway speed the roar of the wind is so much that even when giving it full throttle on an overtake, the wind is still the only thing I hear.
    Deafening!
    I'm going to see if the official Yamaha touring screen makes a difference, otherwise I'll order something like yours (or simply take a dremel to the stock one).
  19. Sonicbooms

Oddometer:
    I don't understand why they don't produce a helmet that can block the noise better.
  20. kirb

kirb should be out riding

Oddometer:
    Ear plugs only address noise through the ear canal/ear drum. Buy a set of audiologist cast custom ear plugs by Westone. You will thank me later.
    Conductive hearing is transmitted through the bone structures which can be a result of the helmet. You have tried Schuberth. I have heard that Shoei Quest were also quiet.

The bike is key here, it seems. My Motus is loud as hell due to your head in the wind (clean air). Getting behind the shield isn't an option on that bike, but my Guzzi Stelvio is super quiet with a Wunderlich deflector. It's all about finding the right fit for a nice happy non-turbulent air pocket. This is a very elusive search.