Wind noise and bikes. On the verge of giving up riding.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Alexander B, Apr 1, 2017.

1. royal

royal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently traded in a 2016 BMW RT for a 2018 Goldwing. I installed an F4 aftermarket windshield, based on recommendations from a Wing forum. I think it actually is a bit quieter with smoother airflow than my RT, which is saying something because, as others have mentioned, the RT was very quiet.
  2. longjt

longjt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The hexhead RTs were noticeably quieter than waterheads just from the engine noise/exhaust note standpoint. I do like to ride with the windscreen totally retracted at times, and on my new β€˜18 I am starting to get tinnitus again. Damn.
  3. t90125

t90125 n00b

Oddometer:
    My "solution" (sort of) was to sell my Kawasaki Versys and buy a Yamaha MT-09 SP (naked bike). I also bought a HJC RPHA 70 helmet to replace my noisy Shark helmet. Everything is much quieter now than with the Versys + Shark combo. No turbulent air at all. Sadly, since developing 24/7 tinnitus in 2006 my ears seem to have become extremely sensitive to noise, and even a 1hr ride gives me a few days of louder tinnitus despite correctly wearing good earplugs. I get this even from a longer ride on a bicycle! I'm afraid that in my case, it's a battle I can't win. At the moment I'm still not ready to give up riding, but it is something I seriously consider now and then when the tinnitus gets me down. It's a shame the Sena noise cancelling helmets apparently aren't much good at higher speeds.
    Alexander B likes this.
  4. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Everybody is different, but something doesn't sound quite right. I know you said you're wearing the plugs correctly, and I don't want to insult you, but maybe you're not. Or maybe you need t experiment with different plugs. Maybe you have. I just say all this, because, in my case, once I started wearing ear plugs properly and using only a small windscreen, I can say that my tinnitus doesn't seem to have gotten much worse in many years. I started getting tinnitus in my twenties and belatedly started wearing ear plugs around 30. I'm almost 59 now. Ears ring all the time, but I can still hear better than most my friends. Anyway, just food for thought.
  5. t90125

t90125 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips & no insult taken :) Glad to hear your tinnitus hasn't worsened over the years. I have experimented with quite a few plugs, and Howard Leight Max are the best I've tried so far when it comes to comfort and noise reduction. I am wearing the plugs correctly, they are not hanging out my ear canals (as can often be seen) but fully inserted into the canal as instructed. These days I protect my hearing religiously.
  6. loony888

loony888 Adventurer

Oddometer:

At 51 i have suffered Tinnitus for a while, the techniques shown in the video have helped, it might help others, no way of knowing without giving it a go.

For those who are flippant about the condition it's quite serious, it causes anxiety and depression and my father tried Suicide because of it, if you're hearing is good, protect it, i wouldn't wish it on anyone.
    Enjoy what you love, we all love bikes, but respect your body and wear ear plugs, wind noise in even the best helmet for a sustained period of time will cause damage, and as others have said, once your hearing is gone it's gone, going deaf is annoying for you and everyone around you, enduring tinnitus is a lonely misery.
    cplus likes this.
  7. 9mm

9mm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have tinnitus. I have watched several of this type videos. However, the above video reminds me of the sound a duck makes. Quack Quack.
  8. x_hog_ridr

x_hog_ridr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

You might want to try these: https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Plugs...locphy=9012050&hvtargid=pla-571891629118&th=1

These are the only ones that really block all of the noise for me. I wear them on the bike, while my wife is snoring and while at church and any loud place.
    Might be worth a shot. I too suffer from tinnitus and will do anything to keep it from getting worse.
  9. cplus

cplus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s been almost a year since I chimed in on this thread. Despite wearing ear protection religiously whenever I ride, shoot or do anything else that involves much noise, my tinnitus grew significantly louder back in December. It is now an omnipresent layer of white noise, like a constant static hash over all I hear.

I dropped out of the pistol league I was shooting in and am painfully aware that every ride β€” even with ear plugs β€” is further damaging my hearing.

Moral of the story? Like @loony888 said, enjoy the hobbies you love but protect your hearing. Once you have tinnitus, it never goes away and it never gets better.
    loony888, Mobiker and rider33 like this.
  10. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One thing to consider is 75 is pretty fast. There is a lot of turbulence that makes noise. Drag increases with the square of the speed increase. I am guessing the noise does, too. Biggest source of wind noise is helmet design. But you said many different helmets, ear plugs and scarves and no decent noise level. You are right: you need to drive a car! Seriously, maybe you need to try a maxi-scooter like a Burgman. The machine noise is way quieter than any motorcycle.