Wind noise and bikes. On the verge of giving up riding.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Alexander B, Apr 1, 2017.

1. bjorn240

bjorn240 Good with a map!

Oddometer:
    My dad's 2016 R1200RT-LC is astonishingly quiet with the screen up. As soon as we hit the highway, I pretend I'm considering buying one and ask if I can try his out! Works every time about 60% of the time.
    Toto and cyclopathic like this.
  2. justrider

justrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    When is the last time you went to the doctor for a hearing test and check up. The ringing in your ears could be many things. I would get a check up before going forward with anything else...
    Navin likes this.
  3. Scott of the Sahara

Scott of the Sahara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the full face helmets create more noise! When the weather is nice, I ride with my Full Face screen up and the noise is very low. If I close the screen the noise increases quite a bit. I use ear plugs every time I ride. I also have a half helmet I use on really nice days. Almost no noise at all.
    I ride a Moto Guzzi Norge with a taller aftermarket windscreen.
  4. rathawk

rathawk unbaffled noise pump

Oddometer:
    ear plugs will fix the issue.
  5. Ride-a-lot

Ride-a-lot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Over the years I have tried different helmets, windscreens, ear plugs, custom molded ear plugs in a search to get rid of wind noise. I spent a ton of money on stuff that really never performed as well as I had hoped it would.

I finally stumbled onto the cure for eliminating annoying wind noise on all of my bikes. It's not a cheap cure at $249 but that's just a drop in the bucket of what I've spent over the years. 3 years ago I bought a set of Bose Quiet Comfort 20 head phones.

These things are fantastic! I can ride all day and never once give wind noise a single thought. If you want to ride in near silence, turn them on. You like music, plug them in to your music player. I set my music volume fairly low before I even start the bike. At 70 mph I still hear the music as well as I did sitting on my garage because the noise canceling just makes the wind noise a non issue. The rechargeable battery lasts 17 hours which should be enough for anyone unless your doing an ironbutt ride.

I'm still using the same pair after about 50k miles of use. My riding buddies thought I was nuts when I first bought them. Of the 8 guys I regularly ride with 7 of them now use the Bose Quiet Comfort 20 head phones. The 8th is a cheap bastard who won't buy anything new.

I rate these things the absolute best thing I have ever bought in my 40+years of riding!!
    motrhead, bobw, MZ5 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Ride-a-lot

Oddometer:
    For some reason I can't edit my last post. I just wanted to add that you can still hear traffic noises around you they are just at a much reduced noise level. It's like being in a quiet luxury car with the windows rolled up.

It seems like most people's first thought is that they completely block all noise which would be dangerous in traffic. You can still hear things around you they just aren't loud. There is also a button on them which reduces the noise canceling so you can hear things around you better. I never use it because it let's some of the wind noise in which I've had enough of over the years
  7. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the same issue with wind buffeting. I wear custom moulded plugs, have a what is supposed to be one of the quietest helmets out there ( Shoei ) ride multiple bikes, the loudest being a Ktm 1190S. I've tried a MRA wind deflector ,different positions, and nothing works in reducing the noise. Remember the best ear plugs only reduce sound by at best 30 db, and at 120 kph or better the levels can reach as high 115db or higher. Anything over 85db for an 8 hour day damages your hearing.
    I've read reviews done my motorcycle publications on the Bose earphones and the general consensus was they were no better than ear plugs. I think getting rid of ,or living with noise on a bike is an individual thing.

I do agree though naked bikes seem to be quieter.
    I'm still searching for that reduction in wind noise. I could quit riding ,that would solve the issue,but after 41 years on motorcycles that would be too depressing to comprehend.
    FJ Fun, MZ5 and Alexander B like this.
  8. Ride-a-lot

Oddometer:
    I wonder if that consensus is mainly made up of people who have only read about them but haven't tried them?

I can say from actual years of experience that ear plugs and custom molded ear plugs are not even close to being in the same league as the Bose.
  9. hyena

hyena Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If quiet is your top priority (topping reliability), I would also go with a BMW RxxxxRT. My two oilhead RT's with Cee Bailey windscreens, were extremely quiet. So were my two R1200GS's with Aeroflow tall screens. But not as quiet as the RT's.
    Alexander B likes this.
  10. kingofgix

kingofgix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This may seem odd, but I have ridden one bike that had NO wind noise (I have owned 21 bikes and ridden many more). It was a 2012 Suzuki VStrom 650 with a Givi Airflow windscreen. Without the Givi, it was just another noisy bike. With the Givi, dead quiet and never got a bug on my face shield. For reference, I am 6'0", and did not ride with the Givi in its highest position. Typically, it was adjusted about half way up, so there was room to play with it since you are a bit taller.
    exhdrdr, Phipsd and Alexander B like this.
  11. DLFLHT

DLFLHT I'm a little fuzzy

Oddometer:
    Ear plugs won't fix his issue. I wear ear plugs religiously, but I find as I have gotten older that I just need to get my head out of the wind. I love naked bikes, but I sold my last one a couple of months ago and I don't think I'll get another. I simply don't enjoy even a short ride with my head in the wind anymore. Most of the sport touring bikes with adjustable screens will allow you to find a sweet spot where you're in a pocket of calm air. The stock shield may not be perfect, but an aftermarket one will usually make just enough difference. My FJR works well. I also ride a Super Tenere with a taller shield and the Yamaha winglets - not perfect, but I don't expect Gold Wing wind protection on a sport touring bike or adv bike.
  12. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try these. Foam doesn't do shit for me. And get a bike with a bigger windscreen, the ones you are riding point the air right at your head. FJR with a barn door is better than nothing at all.

[​IMG]
    dustin2 and kwatters63 like this.
  13. haggis mctavish

haggis mctavish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    to be a bit pedantic, there are two issues here. There is wind noise within the helmet, which can be cured by different helmet, good ear plugs etc. Then there is actual physical buffeting of the head caused by the wind. Reading some of the replies suggests they haven't experienced buffeting of the head. It renders concentration on riding well nigh impossible and cant be fixed with earplugs. Modification of the airflow over the helmet by whatever means seems to be the solution for buffeting.

cheers
  14. d2wing

d2wing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Memphis shades fork mounted deflectors really help manage air flow and noise. Covering the edges on a helmet with thick cloth helps as well. Also a vent in the windshield cuts buffeting. Helmets in general do increase noise.
  15. Johnny Twoshoes

Johnny Twoshoes n00b

Oddometer:
    Elle2Konsai likes this.
  16. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    You may not like this answer but here goes. Wind noise is motorcycle, rider, windscreen, and helmet specific. No one can tell you what will work for you.

I have been known to have a different helmet for each motorcycle I own for exactly this reason.

I hate wind noise and will do whatever I can to eliminate it. When I buy a bike I often try several windscreens in combination with different helmets to find the quietest one. On my BMW S1000XR I have tried 5 different windscreens and 6 different helmets. My experimentation has improved, but not eliminated, the noise. I have settled on an Arai XD4 for this bike. The XD4 also works on my K1600GT. This is the only helmet that I have owned that worked the best on more than 1 bike.

The best bike from the last 30 I have ridden is an Aprilia Tuono with a Arai Corsair X helmet. The Tuono with a Schuberth S2 was terrible but the Arai works great.

The only way to know how to find a good set up is through trial an error. Trying different combinations of bikes, helmets and windscreens can be extremely tedious but there are no shortcuts.

I tried numerous earplugs as well before settling on Elvex Quattro

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000XJV...UTF8&colid=WFUBFBFNU4B8&coliid=I1BDTTI9YBWRVL
  17. Alexander B

Alexander B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone!
    I have tried the "putty" ear plugs, and they do not work for me.
    The Bose ear buds are definitely on the list, even though some (owners) say they are similar to the best conventional plugs.

I went for a ride with a friend today, avoiding highways. Very little "natural" wind, just vehicle induced... Focusing specifically on turbulence, I noticed two things; riding on an EMPTY road is very different than with plenty of oncoming traffic. More than I thought, actually... And when I ride behind my buddy (who also rides a naked bike), going 80 km/h (50 mph) I clearly notice the "swirls" in the air even when I am riding 25m/75ft behind him. That is well over a second, and the air he disturbed has not "settled".

These two factors at least help explaining some very tiring section of previous highway rides, with lots of traffic in both directions. It is maybe not MAINLY the 110-120 km/h that is the culprit, it is riding 120 km/h in an inferno of mixed headwind and crosswinds.
    Staying in the slow lane, furthest away from oncoming traffic, and reducing overtaking might be more beneficial than the modest drop in sheer speed will lead one to believe.
    Phipsd and MZ5 like this.
  18. Hawk28

Hawk28 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had similar problems . On a naked bike , a lot of air comes into the helmet from below. Try full face helmet with mesh chin curtain. Curtains come with Shoei helmets. I was amazed how big the improvement, Also, Laminar Lip.
  19. u wish u could ride

u wish u could ride SHELTON CONNECTICUT.

Oddometer:
    http://quietridehelmets.com/ I have one and it works for me in two ways bye pumpimg the ear muffs and the music it feeds.takes a bit of getting used to the feel but it helps me when needed.i ride without a helmet a lot and put this on when I need the quiet.not the best quality but works for me .
  20. Ultra54

Ultra54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dude..they're called ear plugs..you don't have to give up motorcycling....lol.