Wind noise and bikes. On the verge of giving up riding.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Alexander B, Apr 1, 2017.

1. LuvPop

LuvPop adv poser

Oddometer:
    Methodology? I think you're misusing the term. I've never read any objective helmet noise comparison that has found an Arai to be the quietest.
  2. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    You just did.

Feel free to come to a different conclusion. My only goal was to obtain the quietest set up and prevent any further hearing loss. It would have been nice if it was a cheap helmet but that is not the way it worked out for me.

Most important is how the helmet fits your head, followed by how the air flows around the bike and windscreen.
  3. DocPFFP

DocPFFP Fat kid on a little bike...

Oddometer:
    bmac and Alexander B like this.
  4. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Madstad was the only thing that did work for a huge amount of us Tiger 1050 owners.
    There it is.....................
    Alexander B likes this.
  5. DocPFFP

DocPFFP Fat kid on a little bike...

Oddometer:
    The R1200R is a naked, so it's gonna be different
  6. Alexander B

Alexander B Long timer

Oddometer:
    I fully agree. From what I have read, It seems Madstad and MRA Varioscreen oftn polarize users into those that are very happy, or those that find it worse or much worse than stock. Not much middle ground, ie "clear but not huge improvements".
  7. n8mandy

n8mandy Just hangin' around

Oddometer:
    So by standard do you mean 3/4?

[​IMG]

Because around here, this is what a lot of people think is standard:

[​IMG]
  8. n8mandy

n8mandy Just hangin' around

Oddometer:
    I've been thinking about disassembling a set of Bose noise canceling headphones and inserting them into my helmet.

I have the Bose noise cancelling earbuds but can't hack something in my ear all day.
    abandoned track likes this.
  9. steve gs

steve gs Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    First pic, yes. Just a regular old std open face.

Your 2nd pic is what many (around here) refer to as a 1/2.
  10. Matt-J2

Matt-J2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That second one is 100% more helmet than what's standard around here.
  11. Alexander B

Alexander B Long timer

Oddometer:
    OP reporting back. Maybe I should have given up riding when I started this discussion? As it sems, I will now anyway have to totally give up riding, or dramatically change my riding conditions (like never ride above 60 mph). My ears are still ringing since Saturday from the ONLY longer trip I have done. The tinnitus has luckily faded a bit, but is far from my usual, faint "wheee". My pereived noise level never went very high duing he ride, but now the damage is done. Go figure. Doing some "noise quarantine" for now, and hope tinnitus will keep reducing.
  12. Alexander B

Alexander B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the effort and data references. Being trained as an audio engineer (years ago), I am familiar with a lot of the discussions around noise.
    My other helmet is MEASURED (I even think it is "certified" in the manual) to an 85dBA at 90 km/h. Even if the ARAI I used is ie. 6dB louder and the speed is instead 115 km/h, 115 dB seems too loud. There was a measurement in Motorrad magazine. I will see if I can find it! (Edit: link in next post.)
    The table is also for work health, so there is a conservative element of 8h/5days/48weeks taken into consideration. "Exceptions may occur.", as in many "clubbers" can go on raves for years before getting permanent hearing damage.
    And that is 110 dB, for hours, WITHOUT plugs.....
  13. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    An interesting discovery: My new-to-me Nighthawk 700SC with the seventies-style cubist mini-fairing is...AMAZINGLY quiet, even at speeds of over 80. I didn't expect that thing to do ANYTHING; and maybe it's not even the mini-fairing. But I've had naked bikes before - a Honda CB1100 was so full of dirty, noisy air that I gave up on it. Beautiful to look at; but meh to ride and noisy and abusing to ride fast.

So, to the OP, if he's still there: Keep looking. Bigger isn't always better. Sometimes it's the expensive little tack-ons that work.
    Alexander B likes this.
  14. Alexander B

Alexander B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excerpt from
    "Hart am Wind", Motorrad magazine, 2004-05-19, where they measure aerodynamics and noise in a wind tunnel.
    "Auf der BMW steigt der Schalldruckpegel zwischen 100 und 180 km/h von 81 auf 97 Dezibel (dB) an...." (BMW tourer with full fairing.)
    "...allein auf der XJR 1300 schon bei 100 km/h fast so laut wie auf der K 1200 LT bei 180."
    So, at 100 km/h is my XJR1300 perhaps at 95-96 dB? (The helmet in photo is a sporty lid.) In the printed issue, there is a graph, not shown online. At 180 km/h, the noise at the XJR breaks the 110dB barrier....

Linky!
    www.motorradonline.de/ratgeber/technik-aerodynamik-und-akustikvergleich-hart-am-wind/amp/
  15. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd forgotten what it was like to wash my helmet liner. I ride a lot of miles a year, so the liner gets ...well, even I don't want to give TMI here. So I pulled the liner out of my Shoei Neotec and washed it. Put it on this morning...and it feels like new. The liner is snug all around my head.

So my point is that if your helmet liner is getting a little loose from just wearing the helmet...try washing it. It just might help.

Chris
  16. Alexander B

Alexander B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which generation CB1100 was it? The current one?
  17. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    No, the first. The retro air-cooled one - 2013. I got it two years old, in stock.
  18. Alexander B

Alexander B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I consider yours to be in the "current" range, and I was just checking you did not mean one of these:
    upload_2020-7-24_0-13-4.jpeg
  19. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn’t think this thread would last. Who knew it would grow legs...
  20. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    Touche. Forgot to look for earlier ones. This was the much-hoopla retro recreation - Honda spent a lot of money making an air-cooled engine as buzzy as the first CB750. Deliberately. I read a long press release of how the engineers were SO proud. And what they wound up with, was an appliance. One hundred fifty pounds heavier than my Nighthawk 700 SC, and a flat torque curve. Why did it need six gears? It didn't care what gear it was in.

As I understand it, they've brought it back last year after a couple of years absent...with a modern chassis, and, I think, water cooling.

I could look it up but I really don't care. Modern Hondas are, basically, soul-less. Heavy and no character.

This was the model I had:
    [​IMG]
    AZbiker and Alexander B like this.