Wind noise and bikes. On the verge of giving up riding.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Alexander B, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    Very little wind noise

[​IMG]
  2. Beemeup

Beemeup 1978 R100/7

Oddometer:
    I'd rather take the car.
  3. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what he just said.

:lol3
  4. RMZMZM

RMZMZM Not adventurous Supporter

Oddometer:
    Please forgive me if I missed important info in your link as I didn't find the table you were referencing so I referenced the current S recommendations: https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/noise-induced-hearing-loss
    Sound is measured in units called decibels. Sounds at or below 70 A-weighted decibels (dBA), even after long exposure, are unlikely to cause hearing loss. However, long or repeated exposure to sounds at or above 85 dBA can cause hearing loss. The louder the sound, the shorter the amount of time it takes for NIHL to happen.

Anything above 85db indicates earplug usage. I feel your pain as I have not found a combination that I think protects my hearing very well. Earplugs along with a full faced helmet along with a tucked riding position help to keep the wind noise from being painful most of the time. I have tried a few different things with my bike to get relief and have finally concluded that the very thing I love about the bike, (how narrow it is and the aesthetics from the plastics) is the thing that prevents me from finding a total solution instead of moderate improvement. I have noticed thermodynamics also play a big part in the aerodynamics - assuming other conditions are the same there is a noticeable difference in wind noise depending upon the temperature.

If you have the time and money to invest there is most likely a solution for you. If not, then the question changes to this: Is the trade off of potential long-term hearing loss worth the enjoyment you obtain from riding?
    My personal answer is yes, but I'm hoping medical science or technology can minimize the long term effects.
    Alexander B likes this.
  5. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    Both a 2107 Triumph Trophy and a 2016 BMW RT with electric screens have a position, at least for me, that provide total absence of wind noise. Almost too quiet. Maybe the OP can test one of those and see for himself?
    Tenacious B likes this.
  6. Alexander B

Alexander B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Have not tried the Trophy, but have ridden the R1200RT, which I have mentioned in an earlier post. The screen was about 3" too low even in top position, but when hunching down, it was much better. That was probably the only thing I liked about the bike. There are not many Trophys around, but if my tinnitus subsides, I might test ride one/
  7. Alexander B

Alexander B Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is my observation, too! I have looked up air density as a function of humidity and temperature. The numbers indicate the turbulence should get worse at lower temperatures and more humidity, which is what I have experienced. However, I experience a bigger difference than the calculation numbers indicate, as the differences were moderate.
    That makes me think, that some of the "funny" "get a car" crowd perhaps are fair weather bikes, less familiar with riding in the cold (a few degrees over freezing) and rainy conditions. I had great weather conditions for my ride, but my ears still ring at this moment...
    AZbiker likes this.
  8. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    If Trophy's are scarce you could always get an oversized screen for the RT.
    I also suffer from Tinnius and I know how bad it can be. Hope you find a solution.
    Alexander B likes this.
  9. RMZMZM

Oddometer:
    I put the thermo out there as a personal observation as it is not something I've see as a discussion point, but I have definitely observed myself. I notice it when there is a significant difference in temperature between the pavement and air usually in the late afternoon, early evening as the sun goes down and temps start going down.

One thing I have speculated about, but never tested is the mirror position. I have changed my windscreen and handlebar positions and style a couple of times. One thing I did was remove my windscreen to see if a shorter one would help. It made very little difference. That had me wondering if there is turbulence created by the mirrors. I looked up the models you have listed in your signature line and noticed the mirrors are all in similar positions to my bike (2007 ninja 650).

Make sure to have any physical causes ruled out, including medications, diet, and physical posture or clothing while riding. Also use good ear protection in addition to your helmet. The ones I have found that work the best for me (consistently seals and do not irritate) are called "The world's finest natural earplug " They are a putty (beeswax and cotton) you place in your ear, not into the canal ,and you reform them each time ( good for multiple uses but consider disposable as they collect dirt).

Keep us apprised.
    Alexander B likes this.
  10. Stasher1

Stasher1 Long timer

Oddometer:

Yeah, you're clearly the only person in this thread who rides year 'round. :csm
    Traxx likes this.
  11. Alexander B

Alexander B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, but ridicule and ad hominem does not work on me... You are completely twisting what I wrote, which gets even more strange when you highlight one single sentence, but still replies like it said something completely different!?!?
    Your tasteful choise of emoji further drops the quality of your post. The other inmates try to discuss serious things here, and we do not need your childish attitude.
    Beemeup likes this.
  12. Alexander B

Alexander B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I think "scarce" is a perfect description. So, in Sweden (10 miljon+ inhabitants), there is currently FOUR used Trophys with ABS for sale in the nationwide "blocket.se", which contains ads from both individuals and dealers... Four... And the closest one is over 200 miles away, one way.
    As I said, I did not like the BMW R1200RT (other than wind management), and the Trophy is also a big barge, filled with combined brakes, trip computer, active suspension, alumium frame etc... If opportunity comes, I will definitely give it a close look!
  13. Beemeup

Beemeup 1978 R100/7

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you get that a lot here. But in fairness every forum I've been to has the same type of jackasses that live to create arguments.

I will echo the beeswax type ear plugs. I have tinnitus too and have to take care of what I have left. They are the quietest ear plugs I've found yet. As I mentioned before I filled the ear cavity of the helmet with cotton but I hadn't ridden then. But now I have and it does make a difference. I can barely hear wind and auto tires on the freeway.
    Alexander B likes this.
  14. Alexander B

Alexander B Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I will remember this tip as well. When my T has subsided or ar least stabilized, I will go through my options. Cotton pads might be good! I have used moulded and play-doh like plugs before. Might give beeswax a try!

And good luck with the tinnitus, also for @KingOfFleece !
  15. Beemeup

Beemeup 1978 R100/7

Oddometer:
    I should say the ones I am using are actually sold as silicone putty made by Macks. Marketed for swimmers. I assume it's like beeswax.
  16. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Late to this thread.

I was diagnosed with Menier's a couple of years ago and a by-product of this for me is constant tinnitus.

I have tried a lot of different ear plugs but have found these to be the best for me. https://mightyplugs.com/. Beeswax or similar. All day comfortable and really quiet (IMHO).

I bought them off the USA site and shipping was quick from USA to AUS. This was pre COVID so you mileage may vary.

Good luck in your search. I wouldn't wish tinnitus on anybody (or Menier's for that matter).
    Alexander B likes this.
  17. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
  18. RMZMZM

Oddometer:
    I can't attest to the helmet. But I did go from Chatterbox to Sena a few years ago. The noise cancelling technology is very good. Considering the other things that make a helmet good and what is involved with combining the two concepts, I'm not sure I would buy it if I couldn't try it first. There are a few threads in the Equipment/Vendors area of this forum with lengthy discussions of a variety of Sena products. I have SMH10R and love it, but my needs are fairly simple (music, talk to 1 maybe 2 other riders)
  19. RMZMZM

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Those are the ones.
    I couldn't remember the name and put in what you see printed on the case liner in the pictures. I had to search for them the last time I bought them. A side note - although the manufacturer says to use one plug in each ear , both my spouse and I are able to split each blob as a pair.
    Alexander B likes this.
  20. charliebrown

charliebrown Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found a product online called Hearos Ear Plugs. Odd spelling, but they seemed to work for me.
    Maybe already mentioned, but their website is https://www.hearos.com.
    They are the foam type that you roll with your fingers before inserting into your ears and have a noise reduction rating of 32db.
    For me, I found that if I ride without some sort of hearing protection, I end up fatigued after about an hour, but the Hearos let
    me ride all day. I usually carry 2 or 3 sets with me when I am on a road trip and just throw them away after they get too dirty.
    I don't know if that will actually help with your tinnitus, but you might give them a try.
    AZbiker and Alexander B like this.