Wind noise and bikes. On the verge of giving up riding.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Alexander B, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Nosotros Racing

Nosotros Racing Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    All the way up the combo hits me at eye level. All the way down it's almost sporty. I haven't done any Iron Butts, but try 600-750 mile days with a tiny screen. I have seen extra pegs but I don't have a crash cage to mount any on. WTF isn a bull bar? If I gave a shit about looks, I'd have bought a Ducati.

This is an identically-sized screen on the stock spider. The Madstad mount is much more stable.
    [​IMG]
    One drawback; now that I've created a quiet zone, the exhaust seems much louder.
  2. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This sums up my feelings on windscreens as well. I've tried a lot of combinations on my Super Tenere and concluded that for me the stock screen in the lowest position is best. It's easy to test the clean air is quieter theory, just ride at a speed where wind noise is irritating and then stand up. You'll probably find as I did that the noise goes away immediately.
    The combination that works best for me is:
    •Small/No windscreen
    •Custom molded earplugs
    •Lower speed
    or
    •Purchase a BMW RT or some other bike with a large electrically adjustable windscreen.
    MZ5, SilentRay and AllSeasonRider like this.
  3. Nosotros Racing

Oddometer:
    Anything adjustable needs quantification. I find if I angle my barn door enough, I get a blast from underneath directly into my armpits, which is quite cooling on a hot day with a mesh jacket, while still retaining some silencing. My leather jacket is less noisy than the mesh. The more I play with the adjustments, the more ways I find to use it.
  4. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    @Achtung - Only because you mentioned an RT, but I rented one a few years ago to ride around Palm Springs, and despite the size of the windscreen, found it was neither big enough nor small enough. In the highest setting it was enough that I could ride with my helmet visor open to stay a little cooler, but it still wasn't quiet enough if I were going to own the thing.
  5. Achtung

Oddometer:
    That's the funny thing about dealing with this problem, there's no one solution. There's just too many variables.
  6. 1Scorpion

1Scorpion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Achtung is 100% correct. I’ve had several bikes the only one with a windscreen that works for me is my C-14 with a v-stream windscreen but it has the ability to raise and lower at speed. I can’t find the one position that works at all speeds. Next bike I get will be a naked bike. I prefer the smooth air over turbulence any day.
  7. Achtung

Oddometer:
    I don't care much about wind protection as I have a full face helmet on all the time so I bought a set of Bose noise cancelling headphones to try to address this issue. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to use them yet but I'm going on a ride tonight and will report back with my findings.
    x_hog_ridr likes this.
  8. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Expect popping noises. Not loud, but annoying. When they work it's like magic, but I found I prefer earplugs until I get earbuds that don't pop.
  9. Achtung

Oddometer:
    Exactly right.
    Totally useless, loud popping and less than 50% as effective as earplugs plus they're pretty uncomfortable under the helmet even on a short ride. I lasted 10 minutes with them and pulled off the road to switch back to earplugs. More wasted money.
    Alexander B, 1Scorpion and Matt-J2 like this.
  10. RowBust

RowBust Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try a different helmet, I got a new AGV, great but if I open the top side vents the noise is deadening, my previous Shark wasn't a problem
  11. Nosotros Racing

Oddometer:
    I've been using noise-cancelling earbuds for years and have yet to hear any popping noises.
  12. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What brand/model?
  13. Nosotros Racing

Oddometer:
  14. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    I've also heard that other brands than the Bose earbuds work better. I already had the Bose that I used for flights way back when we were still able to travel :) so they were free to try. I didn't find them uncomfortable, but getting them to sit correctly in my ear after getting the helmet on was a chore, and it's a little painful taking the helmet off with them. I tried with 2 different helmets and even tried playing with face shield positions, but the only time it didn't pop was if I was in clean air and not following another vehicle.

@Achtung - popping aside, they should have been a little quieter than a good set of earplugs. Getting them to seal correctly in your ear can be a challenge, even without a helmet. My wife uses the over-the-ear style because she could never get the Bose buds to seal right.
  15. Nosotros Racing

Oddometer:
    I also utilize a Slick satin helmet liner (which my riding friends call the village idiot hat). It makes it much easier to get the lid on over the buds. I started using a liner years ago to stop scalp itch, so when I started using earbuds I was used to wearing one.
    KingOfFleece likes this.
  16. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bingo. Helmet liner BIG help.
    dtysdalx2 likes this.
  17. soren_dk

soren_dk Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ride a Kawasaki GTR1400 with a Puig screen -- still noisy when its' windy ... however Bose QC 30 make a big difference and are much better than foam ear plugs

Really - try them out!
  18. Johannes Carlsson

Johannes Carlsson Spreadsheet Racer

Oddometer:
    I always found that there's 2 parts to the noise to be adressed. Normal "whitenoise" sort of the small turbulendes caused by parts on the helmet etc. Still there while standing up and solved largely by earplugs.

Then there's the big buffeting caused by larger shapes on the bike or a vehicle in front. To me the annoying part is that it's like the helmet feels like a base box to a speaker. Air pressure pulsates from the turbulence to the opening of the helmet.

So either reduce the buffeting by tuning with spoilers at the front of the bike or somehow prevent the pulse from creating a fluctuating pressure bubble inside the helmet
    Alexander B likes this.
  19. Yamasakialo

Yamasakialo Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    2002 nighthawk 750. New to me. Came with some kind of windshield. I adjusted it every way possible. Even tried some adjustments while riding. Finally just took it off. Guess what. Still got the buffering at the helmet. I decided to start removing parts until I found the culprit. Turns out it was the mirrors! WTF. Factory mirrors. Do manufacturers even test the bikes before producing them? Anyway, I found that if I installed only the left mirror, no turbulence. Haven't put the windshield back on yet. Enjoying riding like this for a while. YMMV.
  20. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    I’ll throw this out there…not a moto…but….bought two new VW’s this year. One 2021 Jetta for my wife and a 2020 leftover Tiguan for me. Both cars suffer serious buffeting if you just open one or two windows. Like painful ear hammering. We quickly learned you have to have a front and a rear or various other combinations open at same time to avoid it. I’ve had buffeting in other cars too but nothing like these. Oh and if anyone wants a 10,000 mile Tiguan I’d really like to sell it and get a truck