Wind noise and bikes. On the verge of giving up riding.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Alexander B, Apr 1, 2017.

1. nevada72

nevada72 Milwaukeeish

Oddometer:

Ordered - thanks! I have small ear canals so these should be great. I bought "ladies" ear plugs because they're smaller and fit better. Which sounds weird if it's said out of context.....:D

Earplugs have always been a challenge because after a few hours in the saddle my ears swell a bit and they are hard to reinsert after a lunch stop. The small plugs seem to have alleviated that issue.

I have played around extensively with wind management on all my road bikes that have fairings or shields. The quietest bike I ever had was a 2005 GS with Cal-sci tall shield and Cee-Bailey wings. Only bike I ever had that didn't require ear plugs. But tire noise from others using the road was still there of course, and that can be loud!

I now have a 2016 RT with stock shield. It is surprisingly quiet to the extent that I do not feel I need to change it out, which is a first. Really the loudest thing (aside from car tire noise) is the intake noise. It just hits a certain harmonic that penetrates my helmet. Ear plugs do reduce it significantly though. Overall I would say the second quietest bike I have owned. Maybe a tie with my 2014 Street Glide with fork fangs and a 11 inch Freedom wide touring shield and quiet pipes.
    Alexander B likes this.
  2. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very still air. Screenshot_20210807-102809_Gallery.jpg
    Alexander B likes this.
  3. summitx

summitx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Its been mentioned but to add my experience a madstad is the answer. They are such a joy to ride behind I'd never go back. I'm the same height as the op and have had fit problems with most bikes. I'm currently on an NC 750x with a large madstad set at the lowest setting. Look well over top of it. The angle on the madstad seems critical for the best performance ~65 dgrees. Pegs are lowered and the bars are raised. I love this set up. The NC takes some getting used to but they grow on you. Quiet smooth buffet free ride.