Wind noise and bikes. On the verge of giving up riding.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Alexander B, Apr 1, 2017.

1. anaheimtex

anaheimtex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try a car.
  2. motorhead748

motorhead748 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Huh?
  3. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wasn't suffering as badly as you, but I picked up a Givi screen for the gen 1 DL 650 real cheap, worked out how to mount it on my gen 2 DL 650 and the wind noise was gone like magic. So, I know it's possible to fix now, but I don't think there's going to be an easy turnkey fix unless you get really lucky - I'm also quite a bit shorter than you which has to work in my favor.
  4. Stasher1

Stasher1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

My thoughts exactly.

OP, maybe riding a motorcycle just isn't for you.
  5. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am certainly not going to say to quit riding on this site to a biker looking for ideas. Plenty of suggestions given.

Time to talk to your doc and see if the noise cancelling stuff will work for you. Any hearing Dr. would know about these devices as they have been used in other applications for years. If he says thumbs up, that is a very real option for you. If he says no / noise cancelling doesn't help with tinnitus, then it's still the shield game and maybe the curtains.

Time to call the Dr or investigate noise cancelling.
  6. mrchristian

mrchristian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ride slower.
  7. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Moisten foam plugs with your (or anyone elses) saliva, roll between fingers, insert fully in ear. You'll hear them expand, and noise drop away. I use Howard Leight's.
  8. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    @Alexander B

I am really struggling to understand how you can be having such a difficult time with wind noise, given all the steps you've taken to circumvent it. I feel as if something is missing from this equation, something unrelated to your bike, helmet or earplugs.

After riding for almost a decade, I thought it prudent to have my hearing tested to see if all the precautions I took towards protecting myself were paying off. I got the all clear from the audiologist and was advised to 'keep doing what you're doing' in regards to hearing protection. A dozen different bikes, 6 different helmets and riding all over North America and I have never experienced what you have with any combination of the above. I hope you can find a solution that works for you because I'm sure riding with splitting headaches and deafening noise is horrendous.
    TonyKZ1 and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  9. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Traffic turbulence is definitely a factor. On my commute I always pay attention to the airflow coming off the vehicles in front of me, second generation Chrysler corp. minivans make an especially nice pocket of calm air right at a proper following distance! The worst buffeting I ever had was from a tractor-trailer rig that had a flatbed with a side kit and no tarp.....he was mixing up the air so badly that I had to back off about 300 yards behind him, much closer and my head shook so bad that my vision blurred. The second worst was a Subaru Crosstrec with an empty bicycle rack on the roof.

Have you tried a 3/4 or 1/2 helmet? I hope you find something to help. The wind noise on my BMW R100RT made me batty for years, I never did find a solution for ME on THAT bike, so I know where you're coming from.
    Alexander B likes this.
  10. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madstad and ear plugs
    Cakeeater likes this.
  11. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now

Oddometer:
    Are you inserting them correctly?

For years, I didn't know how to use foam earplugs correctly.
    KansasArt likes this.
  12. Cakeeater

Cakeeater Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go buy some silicone earplugs. I get mine from Aerostich. Better than foam. WAAAY better than soft-plastic things. Shove the ball of silicone in your ear. No irritation, amazing quiet.

And what many others have said: Madstad. And try a Chip style half helmet. Smaller helmet equals less noise. Just don't land on your face in a crash. ha.

Cakeeater
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  13. kwatters63

kwatters63 n00b

Oddometer:
    These are amazing, only downside is when I stop for gas with these in I can't hear someone talking to me very well.
  14. Barnwell

Barnwell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Age, gender, the insolence of youth, full face helmets, and motorcycles will give you tinnitus. There is no cure and the most you can do is stop it from getting worse. Sorry. The only fix for me has been quality disposable foam earplugs. I use: [​IMG] Takes a while to learn how to use them and longer to get used to using them. Any embarrassment occasioned by others seeing florescent green wads in my bald head is offset by not hearing their incessant yammering. Also addresses spousal snoring.
    Alexander B and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  15. collin228

collin228 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wanted to add my 2 cents. My first bike was a Triumph Thruxton and I never even considered ear plugs. My second bike was a new Multistrada and it made my ears bleed. I could never find the best windscreen, ear plugs, etc. to make it better. I loved the bike, but the wind noise made it miserable. People didn't understand, sort of like some posts here. I sold the bike and I have a watercooled GS and it is perfect. I still wear earplugs, but the wind hits me just right. It's not the helmet or windscreen in my opinion. It is the bike and your frame. Try a GS.

Collin
    Alexander B and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  16. alii1959

alii1959 Long timer

Oddometer:

For me the elimination of most of the wind noise began when I took the windshield off of the Road King. Most helmet manufacturers seem to make them with naked bikes in mind or those with minimal shields. Second, I kept looking for quieter helmets. The HJC RPS10 that I have was pretty quiet. The AGV that I just bought is even quieter, with very good ventilation. Check out webbikeworld.com for their reviews, they often seem spot-on. I experimented a lot on the GSXR and never found a quiet place, didn't on the Triumph Sprint, or the Ninjette, but all of my bikes without a windscreen/shield could be very quiet, depending on the helmet.
    Alexander B likes this.
  17. alii1959

alii1959 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Forgot....I added earplugs.... just the little foam buggers. Can hear everything, it just mutes the wind.
    Alexander B likes this.
  18. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    as others have said, wind noise is specific to the rider and the equipment being used. That said, for me the quietest bikes I've ever been on tend to be the fully flaired ones with an electric screen. On my ST1300 at about 90 miles an hour it would go from a constant roar at the lowest screen setting to dead quite at full up, I think I could smoke a cigar back there without a problem with the screen full up. The most problematic I've found are the big adventure bikes. I believe that is due to the screen being smaller & farther forward, no doubt exaggerated when the taller rider tends to sit further back on the seat (I'm 6'2"). My S10 with a Madstad bracket and Parrabellum or Vstream screen is better than stock but no where near as quite as the ST1300 was. My guess would be a half acre of wind tunnel tested tupperware along with a dial-an-angle screen (on the fly) has its rewards.
    Alexander B likes this.
  19. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Indeed, you guys need to try these they're only $5
    Alexander B likes this.
  20. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the recommendation. My girlfriend has the smallest ear canals in the world and every single foam plug either falls out or gives her pain. She's tried some wax plugs and while comfortable, they don't really reduce noise. These may do the trick. Ordered!
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.