Wind protection question for the road warriors

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by nickmo, Jun 25, 2021.

1. nickmo

nickmo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all. I have an '06 Superglide that mostly gets ridden back and forth to work. Riding to work is my best opportunity to get out with my bike. It's about a 40 minute ride each way. The issue is that over 65 it becomes a chore to ride, even with the windshield. The buffeting sucks no matter how the shield is adjusted and I really feel like I'm hanging on tight just to get to work.

That being said, I really love the bike. I'd hate to get rid of it over something that can be cured. I wanted to get some opinions on better wind protection like a batwing fairing. Are there things that can be done to help, or will it just never be a hiway machine?

Thanks for the input.

Nick

Attached Files:

2. Vistavette

Vistavette Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put a Dart Marlin on my Dyna and it really helps keep the wind off your chest/upper body. They also make the Fly version that is a little shorter and I had that on two different Triumph Bonnie's. No helmet buffeting with either. That being said, long freeway commuting is still tough on an open bike.
    View attachment 3045772
    trumpet likes this.
  3. nickmo

nickmo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the reply. I have a full size wind shield on it. Maybe it's the wrong shape for me.
  4. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Man, the Super Glide is my favorite Dyna. Perfect proportions. That's a gorgeous bike. I would never put a batwing fairing on that, but there are literally hundreds of other smaller fairings made for Dynas. It's probably the most customizable bike on the planet.

I have also had good experiences with Dart -- they make a quality product, and, depending on your height, the small screen usually takes quite a bit of pressure off your chest without putting your helmet in turbulent air.

If you have a full shield, odds are it's actually too big, and the most turbulent air where it finally tumbles back on itself is occurring right on top of you.

I know Memphis Shades makes all manner of fairings and windshields for HDs. The "cafe" fairing usually looks pretty damn good (to my eye) on a Dyna.
  5. Vistavette

Oddometer:
    They're all the wrong shape/size. Full size windshields and fixed batwings cause buffeting and suck (IMO). I've tried all types over the years, high, low, wide, batwing...one of the main reason I didn't buy a new Ultra Classic when I was ready to replace my 2009 Ultra was there was no adjustable windshield and I couldn't deal with the helmet buffeting any longer.
  6. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have found that raking the shield back makes a big difference. On my Guzzi, I went with a taller shield and brought it back as far as the mounts allowed. This brought the top edge closer to my face, but low enough to see over. The buffeting still occurs, but it is moved further to the rear leaving my head in clean air.

A7D97F45-313F-4C69-B941-B792ED160325.jpeg
    nickmo likes this.
  7. nickmo

nickmo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the comment. I fell in love when I saw it. I just hate that it's such a hassle at high speeds. I'll have to look into smaller shields.
  8. Vistavette

Oddometer:
    I did this on a Kawasaki Vulcan I had. I used a Dremel to allow the shield to tilt back further and it helped a lot.
  9. nickmo

nickmo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you just ride without a shield? What did you go with instead of the ultra?
  10. nickmo

nickmo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll try tilting it back. Beautiful Guzzi!
    Blackshirt likes this.
  11. trumpet

trumpet Group W Bench

Oddometer:
    Another vote on the Dart wind screen. You'd think something so small would be ineffective, but you'd be wrong.
    nickmo likes this.
  12. Vistavette

Oddometer:
    BMW K1600 GTL. I was also considering the then new Goldwing but the BMW fell into my lap at a great price. I almost always have a touring bike and a "small" bike, like my 2008 Dyna Super Glide Custom. To answer your question about the windshield, I use a Dart Marlin on the Dyna
    nickmo likes this.
  13. nickmo

nickmo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not much for the full on golding, but I like the F6B. I'm considering it since I'm almost always on the hiway.
  14. dceggert

dceggert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Metro Detroit - almost like offroad riding
    A lot of the cause of the buffeting is the pressure differential between the front and rear of the shield which causes the curling of the wind over the edges and the pressure pushing on your back. There is a good write up about this at calsci.com, the maker of vented screens for motorcycles (although a Dyna is not one of them if I remember correctly). The Rushmore Road Glide and Ultra Classic/Limited (2014+) came with vents to balance the pressure to help using this very same principle. Most BMW's since about 2005 or so are also vented. It is likely that the larger the frontal area of the screen the more it needs these vents to effectively reduce the buffeting and/or pressure on the back forcing you forward.
    nickmo likes this.
  15. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    Can you tell where the buffeting is coming from by locating it with your hand? Some bikes get a lot of buffeting from air coming up around the tank and filling in the vacuum behind the windshield.

Having the windshield tilted back as other have mentioned allows some air to sneak in under the windshield and fill in the void. I've also had luck using a shorter windshield and then adding a spoiler (X-creen or the like) to get air over my helmet but still let some air into the void. It all comes down to controlling the amount of vacuum, and where the air comes from to fill the vacuum.

I have a 45 mile one-way commute, so I got to experiment a lot with wind management. The tiled-back windshield with a spoiler has worked on several different bikes.
    nickmo likes this.
  16. Kikemon

Kikemon Buffoon Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:
    What kind of helmet do you wear on this bike?
    nickmo likes this.
  17. Vistavette

Oddometer:
    I wear a Shoei J-Cruise. If I didn't have the Dart I'd probably wear a full face. The Dart screens really help a lot
  18. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another possibility are the National Cycle shields like the Mohawk or the Flyscreen. These are now made with fork mounting to avoid attaching on the headlight ears (this moves the headlight at speed). Small shields give you the sensation of riding a naked bike, without feeling like you’re holding on for dear life. One of my Guzzis will be getting one soon…
  19. Kikemon

Kikemon Buffoon Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought using a FF helmet would do a better job at keeping air from getting under the edge and bouncing your head around
  20. nickmo

nickmo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's a full face helmet.