Wind screen for my new 700GS.

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by marty hill, Sep 9, 2015.

1. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    I've owned 1200GS/11 and 1150RT/650GS/800GS/1100S and 1150R. All the wind screens worked for me and none were ever changed. The one on my new 700GS is ok for mid summer as it lets all the air hit me. Summer will end soon. I'm 5'9" and weight about 150 lbs. Anyone about the same size happy with a different w/s? Anyone tried the very slightly taller BMW screen?

TIA.

Marty
  2. ChicoProf

ChicoProf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked up a Puig Touring screen (6365W) for cheap (no idea why, but it was $50 brand new, now back to $130), and am quite pleased with it. The biggest change is that the wind doesn't try to lift my helmet off my head anymore; this was a particular issue when looking to the side at highway speeds. I am 5'8" or a smidge less. The wind now hits above the mid-point of my helmet. I've heard others complain about the vibration of these after-market shields, but I haven't been bothered by it, even for light off-roading. YMMV.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    stilrolz and Kylerbry like this.
  3. thomps000

thomps000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a F700 that I traded in for an F800GS. Used the Aeroflow screen for a little bit and had good results. Still have the screen and it's actually for sale in the sales section if you're interested. That was the best that I found (I went through about 5 before settling on the Aeroflow).
  4. marty hill

Oddometer:
    Can you tell me your size and weight? If your shorter or taller, it might not be workable for me. I am interested. Looked thru the first 6 pages and did not see your ad. Would you send me the info via PM?

Thanks.
  5. thomps000

thomps000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'10 and about 195. I have the Aeroflow tall which is 10" tall.
  6. blackduchess

blackduchess Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i'm 5'7" ish and have an mra in the for sale section.
  7. marty hill

Oddometer:
    Guess I'll just have to buy and try until I get the right screen.
  8. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    I put an F800GS Adventure windscreen on my '13 F700GS. It works pretty good. I had a tall touratech screen on it before.
  9. marty hill

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll look at one.
  10. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    IF you are still looking I really like my Cal Sci shield.
    It does a better job of reducing wind noise than the V Stream I had before. Airflow goes up and over my helmet, instead of catching the very top and making it louder with the vents open.

Has an odd hole cut in the screen to create smoother airflow, and gives a nice light flow of air over the chest just so you don't overheat in the summer, not enough to notice in winter.

The F700 is a little flimsy, but I have 12K on it with no issues. The F800 should fit, and it has some extra bracing compared the freestanding F700 screen.

http://www.calsci.com
  11. marty hill

Oddometer:
    Thanks, hoping for one a bit smaller.
  12. NumberCruncher

NumberCruncher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I run the large BWM windscreen for the 800GS and really like it. I decided not to get the touring one as I don't like the shape.

I am about 5'9" and this screen works well enough for me. If there is one that is better and I am missing out, well, ignorance is bliss.

NC
  13. boricua700

boricua700 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How tall are you? What is your inseam? I'm eyeing this shield for my 5'9" body on the F700GS. Quiet is my priority. All that I've tried so far have been disappointing.

With my Schuberth C3 Pro I can stand up in the clean air to get a nice quiet ride. Is it too much to ask that behind a properly working screen I get an even quieter ride and the added bonus of no wind on my torso? Like many have said what works for one does not work for all. The expensive search continues.
  14. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am 5' 11 with a 30 inch inseam. Ok, Really 29.
    So I have 4 extra inches in the torso.

Now, quiet is relative, it is FAR quieter than no screen and MUCH quieter than the V-Stream.

For extra "quietness" I use a neck gator (a Buff) to close the gap on the Multitec Shoei around my neck area.
  15. Kylerbry

Kylerbry BMW F700 GS | 1st Bike ever

Oddometer:
    Hey Chico! First Beautiful F700! Love the tires, what kind of tires are you running on this? See i'm looking for a nice smooth tire like that one that looks like it would take corning really well on street but yet can still handle some trails. This seems to be the one possibly. Can i ask how often do you top off your oil? I'm a new rider and i just purchased my first bike two weeks ago which happens to be the F700gs ; i'm loving her so far but i'm not really familiar with all the maintenance and upkeep so i'm trying to stay on top as much as possible. I was given a box of preimum oil when i purchased the box so i have the oil I'm just now sure of when i should add more. Right now it seems the bike to be a little less than half full on oil. Also i too have that very same problem when I'm riding on the highway and i look to check my blind spot with feeling like the wind is going to pull my head off! I get horrible wind blast because i'm running the factory windscreen which seems to be little if any at all. Im in the market for a newer one but w/ my short stature (5'4) i'm not really sure which one would be best for me. I've been looking a puig.
    stilrolz likes this.
  16. ChicoProf

Oddometer:
    Unless your bike has a lot of miles on it, you probably won't need to top off the oil at all between changes. You should check it regularly, though. Simple to do: on a warmed up bike, put it on the center stand (or get it mostly level with something under the kickstand footplate), unscrew the dip stick, wipe it off, insert without screwing it in, and pull it out to check the level; in good light, you want to see that the oil got the stick wet between the minimum and maximum lines. Be sure to screw it back in when done - I've heard of people losing a dipstick on the road! Checking oil, tire pressure, and giving the bike a quick look over can keep you safe and your bike healthy.

My tires are the stock Michelin Anakee 3. The first set lasted 12000 miles before I was at the wear markers, and I was really happy with them in a variety of conditions, so that's what I replaced with. For such a smooth tire, they do surprisingly well on dirt roads (mud is different thing, though!).

I think any after market windscreen will fix the helmet lift-off issue for you. I still have my Puig, but am currently experimenting with a smaller MRA. The MRA looks cooler, but the Puig mounts to more points, and is more stable. When I figure out which one I like better, I'll sell the other.

Welcome to being an F700 rider! Great choice!

Brian
    stilrolz and Kylerbry like this.
  17. elcabong

elcabong Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on the AeroFlow. I had the 10" version on my 700GS for about a year. It was a great W/S and way better than stock. Great in the Summer and heat. I switched to Madstad when my rides started getting into longer distances.
  18. Kylerbry

Kylerbry BMW F700 GS | 1st Bike ever

Oddometer:
    Brian

I couldn't be happier with my F700 and it's so encouraging to have such a supportive group of men to help me through the different processes.

You know before you mentioned the Anakee 3s I've had my eye on them! I think it's a no brainer for me now. I'm thinking about the best way for me to get my tires changed. I've seen a couple YouTube videos where guys are changing and balancing the tires themselves ; this seems to me to be a little challenging in that I don't wanna screw my tires up.

I was thinking I could probably almost certainly get my tires and wheels off my bike , there's a store in my area called "Cycle Gear" that will re tire your tires for free as long as you remove the wheels from the bike when u bring them in.

I've also been looking at the puig windscreen - I've seen so many and they all give really convincing pitches as to why I should by there's ; I'm going to check out that MRA!

I just joined the BMW MOA so I'm really excited about that-I'm trying to find out where and how I can hook up with more noviced riders that would ride more to my skill level so that I'm not left behind on the rides - it would be cool if they offered a skill set location based meet up for those looking to ride in groups - they may already have something like it , do u know of any ?
    stilrolz likes this.
  19. ChicoProf

Oddometer:
    I take mine to the BMW dealer for new tires (I've got a great local dealer, Ozzie's). On a previous dual-sport bike, I replaced the tires myself once (without balancing), and found it to be a doable experience, but I don't want to chew up the rims with my tools on the F700 (it's just too pretty!). Taking the wheels off isn't that big a job, but you might check around to see what the local shops charge for you to just bring the bike in and have them do it. It's worth it to me to let them take care of it all.

Here is a link to the MRA screen I currently have mounted: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/mra-variotouringscreen-windshield-bmw-f700gs-2012-2017. I really am on the fence about which one to keep; the Puig is undoubtedly the better screen in terms of stability and coverage, but the MRA looks sportier and the smaller size is better for off-road (the Puig is awfully close to my helmeted head when standing and leaning forward). If I had a smoke version of the Puig, I might feel differently, though about the coolness factor.

Your best bet on rides is probably ADVrider - do you have a local forum on this site? I've found most people riding larger bikes are pretty patient with newbies on dirt roads. There are plenty of guys my age (50 and older) who are more concerned about fun ride with great scenery than blasting the trails at top speed. They won't leave you behind. I doubt you are looking for technical off-road, so you'll find a welcoming group, I'll bet.
    Kylerbry and stilrolz like this.
  20. zero war

zero war Zee

Oddometer:
    I've tried about 9 different combinations of screens between my f650 and my f700 including the stock screen. I'm 5.9" and a 30" inseam. Bike had 1" and now 2" risers. Low seat or the comfort seat just to give you the variables. Most of the testing is based on comfort seat and 2" rox risers.

Stock screen - crap

F800 screen. Looks cool but still a lot of bugs on the helmet

F800+ TT deflector - perfect for summer. Great upto 65mph

F800 + givi deflector - liked it better with TT deflector

Cee baileys 17" custom screen. Oem is 18". Likes it better on the f650gs so I could use the support bracket for the look. Almost Perfect at 85mph. Great for long distance.

Cee baileys 17" with an MRA spoiler. Not for height but more to create a laminar effect. That was just perfect for the noise but didn't quite like the look of so much screen on my bike. Just sold it to a very happy f700gs customer.

Give 17.5" almost as good as the cee baileys. Never tried it with the MRA spoiler.

Mirage 2 - had to raise it to 19" to get the same effect as the cee baileys but looks so much better.

Finally - the mirage 2 with a borrowed puig spoiler) now just bought and attached an MRA x-creep as I feel the build is better quality than the puig but costs the same. Perfection! as I can keep the screen at 17" and have almost no wind noise or buffeting. No blasts on the shoulder either due to the newer lynx version of the mirage 2 screen (long story - got it as a try out from brittania composites and am glad as he could tell I had not yet reached the perfect screen)

I still have some screens and deflectors for sale in the classifieds or just pm me. Here are some photos to give you a better idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Conclusion. It's the parallel spoiler plus a not so high screen that makes the difference. Again this is just my opinion from trial and error. AND MY WIFE THINKS IM OCD!!!!

Zee

2000 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
    2015 BMW F700GS
    ChicoProf, Nickhob and stilrolz like this.