Wind screen pics for DR650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ram1000, Sep 3, 2006.

1. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've run it on the magellan cradle with no batteries and had the same problem. Only thing I haven't tried is screwing the power chord into it and running it on the ram cradle. If it's vibrating the batteries that bad though, it's going to really cut into the life of the thing. The batteries don't actually come "loose" or anything, but may be vibrating against the contacts so as to be on/off/on/off, etc...
    What speeds have you run it at and for how long? My first meridean I ran on the magellan cradle and it worked at first but the speed at which it would work kept coming down and down until I could hardly use it while riding. That unit was still fine otherwise and didn't necessarilly need replaced, I just chose to give it to someone. So now I'm on number 2... same problem. I guess I'll live with it in the map pocket and be happy I've found something that works at all.

2. rowend

rowend FNG

Oddometer:
    Originally posted by Snowrider:

"Only thing I haven't tried is screwing the power chord into it and running.."

is this guy a musician or what?:rofl
  3. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the size and the way this looks. Given the small size, I was wondering if you notice a big difference? Is it easy to put on for trips and then take off or is it a lot of trouble to remove and replace?
  4. campy

campy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It actually works quite well for it's size, and because it is so small, I have never felt the need to remove it, though it would be a 5 min. job at most to do so.

It does however have one drawback that I found, posititioning was really sensitive...too much "toward the rider" tilt resulted in major buffeting behind large vehicles. Once I got the position dialed-in, those symptoms disapeared.
  5. toolfan

toolfan Broken Hearted

Oddometer:
    Where do you guys get those spitfire windscreens?

Thanks.
  6. ronhanson

ronhanson Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. shoco

shoco Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Snowrider,

Is this the model that you have?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...0667/p-2000667/N-111+10111+4294967243/c-10111

Thanks.
  8. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:

After typing a paragraph eplaining the how the cord that delivers power to the meridian works, I just got it...
  10. shoco

shoco Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ah, ok. This is it, then, right? And I've gotta ask you one more question: On the JC Whitney site, I don't see a "deflector" shield made specifically for the DR. Did you find one, or are you using one made for a different bike (which one?) that happens to also fit the DR?

Thanks, man.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2000664/p-2000664/N-111+10111+4294967243/c-10111
  11. racket

racket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's my homemade creation. It's basically an extension of the headlight shroud. The small amount of wind it deflects is noticable and it doesn't look too outlandish. The downside is that it is 3mm thick to give it the flexibility to bend around the shroud which appears a little dangerous when looking down on it from the seat! :hack [​IMG]
  12. Hornet

Hornet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  13. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the one we're using...it's universal. Here's a link to the mfg's site:

http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalogue/FramesetDeflectorScreens.html
  14. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:

Yup, that's it. There's only one deflector shield as far as I know--it's a universal handlebar mount windshield made for any bike. JC Whitney may make you put in your vehicle and year and everything, but it's got nothing to do with the windshield. I grabbed mine off a shelf at a local shop.

edit>> sorry for the redundancy, I didn't scroll down first
  15. Gary B.

Gary B. Older than dirt...

Oddometer:
    OK, so I ordered a Spitfire today from Dennis Kirk. Any mounting tips?
  16. Gary B.

Gary B. Older than dirt...

Oddometer:
    I've been playing with a SplitFire windshield for about a week now. I'm real close to tossing this thing on the side of the road. It seems to take the wind blast off my chest and deposit it right on my face shield. The noise is deafening in my helmet. Any tips???
  17. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:

Yeah, it's too high and/or too vertical. Lean it back until the wind doesn't hit you in the face anymore. That's why it's adjustable.
  18. sharpblade

sharpblade Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. sharpblade

sharpblade Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't look through mine. A couple inches over. You may have got the wrong size.