Wind screen pics for DR650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ram1000, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Dirtysouth

Dirtysouth Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer:

Same here, I have the medium and look over it. I'm 5'10 and that is what charles (parabellum guy) recommended and it works great.
  2. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't have one, but I'm vertically challenged (only 5'5"), so there's a good chance I'd be looking through it even if I did get the shorter (medium) version.
  3. Dirtysouth

Oddometer:

You'd definetly be looking through it unless you trimmed it. I believe that parabellum does custom shields/dimensions though if you're interested.
  4. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'10 too and ordered the tall screen. It works well, sending the air to the top of my helmet and visabilty is good.

I did change 4 of the mounting bolts over to thumb screws and wingnuts. This allows me to remove it easily, store it on top of my luggage bag under a spider net and ride dirt with fewer worries. This screen is very stout and I would not want to go thru it on a get-off. The screen is very close to you and that's great to protect you from wind/weather, etc, but is very bad for off road use, especially when standing.
  5. Dirtysouth

Oddometer:

That's a good idea, would go a whole lot quicker than unscrewing it. I agree with not wanting to tangle with it during a getoff, that thing is stout. I would think it is one of the better made screens out there.
  6. snowrider

snowrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's hard to tell just looking at a picture, but I'm pretty sure I'd run right into that parabellum trying to climb some of the stuff I do regularly. I know I should take my shield off for offroad, but I don't always know when I'm going to go offroad. The steepest stuff I've climbed put the edge of my little shield about a half inch from my chest.

7. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Howdy SR.

You probably would. It's very close - too close - when standing. I'll even say it can be dangerous because of how thick/strong it is.

This will be an experiment for me. I'm probably spoiled from the GS and AeroFlow, but I really do appreciate a large screen when running many miles at speed. This Parabellum actually gives me more protection than I had with the GS.

I enjoy the nekkid DR and will just stow the screen when riding in places/countries where extended high speeds aren't the norm. I'm fine with it nekkid up to about 70 indicated. At least that's my plan...and we all should have one of those, at times. :D

If it becomes a pain (and I'm very big on convenience), I may try sometimg different. Also, if I were to have a 'small' screen that would never be removed, I'd prefer one that wasn't built like a brick sht house, and would break away easily.

I have an upcoming trip that will be about 4k miles of high speedish running and 1k miles of not so fast. This will 'enlighten' me, I'm sure. :D

I already have a plentiful stock of sleeves for the screen when I do stow it on the back. They come 20 to a box and are 4mil thick. One of these should suffice. :D

These threads are invaluable. We all understand that what works for one rider may not please the next. I'm the type of person that likes to buy something one-time, not economically supporting all manufacturers of a particular item.

Your National screen does sound good.
  8. Wander4Days

Wander4Days Where am I?

Oddometer:
    I had a screen that I really liked the look and size of. I caught a big rock off my friend's back tire the other day- sad to say- the windscreen is no more. I want to replace it but haven't been able to find any info on it. Anyone recognize this screen?

Attached Files:

9. GsVs

GsVs Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Hey ...
    It looks like maybe a Modified Cee Baileys (picture below - from post #6 of this thread) or a home made one ..

[​IMG]
  10. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    That looks like the Cee Bailey's "Baja Designs Off-Road windshield":
    http://www.ceebaileys.com/acerbis/index.html

11. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the looks of that one too. How tall are you? Do you get any buffeting? Have you used any other brand of windscreen to compare this one to? I had the regular Cee Bailey's, which was OK, but it didn't have that "lip" on the top edge of the screen. Any info would be appreciated.:thumb Do you have anymore pics of it on your bike?

12. FishHound

FishHound Ex-Army 11B

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

For $65 delivered it is hard to beat, I'm 5'9" and the wind hits me about the top of the forehead. It takes all the air off my chest but you definatly have to lean it back equal to the slope of the shroud or the buffeting can be really harsh. I haven't done any trail riding or hills with it on but have left it on running forest service and logging roads without any problems. Oh and when you get it dialed in make sure and locktite the wing nuts they have a tendency to vibrate loose and dissapear.
  13. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer:
    I bought an '06 DR recently (love the bike) and it came with a nice Cee-Bailey clear windshield (uninstalled) and all the hardware.
    I put it on last week, and I hate the thing. When standing still, I guess it's alright, but at speed (anything above 50mph) it seems to push the headlight housing/fairing plastic back slightly, sends the wind directly into my face (I'm 6'0") and makes the windshield make contact with the master cylinder on the right side. After one 120 mile day, the combined forces caused the master cylinder to rub a small groove into the edge of the windshield.
    Anyone else ever have this problem?

Any suggestions before I stick this on fleabay?
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  14. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the same issue with my Cee Bailey's "DR650 windscreen" and sold it. The Cee Baileys Acerbis screen (12" wide) isn't as wide as the 17" wide DR650 specific screen. I have the MRA "ST" shield from Twisted Throttle. It gives me a lot of buffeting on my dirt helmet.

15. switchback

switchback Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer:
    Had the National Cycle screen for about a week and sent it back. Had buffeting at all angles of adjustment. When you angle it back the screen seems too close for comfort and buffeting was still there. The MRA or maybe the small Cee Bailey screen would be as large as I would want to go.
  16. sgoat

sgoat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 07' came with a Cee Bailey which I didn't much care for. I cut the height down by about 2 1/2" and put a piece of Saeng edging that I had on it. Result, buffetting nearly eliminated and it doesn't flex like it did at the stock hgt. It's a keeper!

[​IMG]
  17. onaXR

onaXR Druid

Oddometer:
    I cant believe no one has posted the BMW Dakar screen on a dr.. Fits like it was made for it.
    [​IMG]
  18. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer:
    An intersting solution, I might look into that.
    What kind of hardware are you using to mount yours? I can't tell from the picture. I'm looking for something that can allow a "quick change" removal. Would like to go with Dzuz fasteners, but haven't figured out how to make that work yet. I've already replaced the stock nylon bolts (which I stripped out) with stainless.
  19. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    From the front it looks good. Can you please post some side-view pics? What year Dakar f650gs did this come from? TIA!

20. bacon

bacon KZ5TLP

Oddometer:
    I think that is the stock BMW screen off one of the older Dakar 650s
    You could get it from any BMW dealer not sure of the cost.