Wind screen pics for DR650

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ram1000, Sep 3, 2006.

1. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let us know what you get. I'm not extra-happy with my National Cycle getup but don't know what would be better. I'd like to get away from the handlebar mount clutter.

Sarah
  2. greer

Oddometer:
    I called and got some measurements from Leo at Laminar Lip. Overall length just under 15", center of cut-out to top 9 3/4". Leo says he figures we'd have about 8" of screen once it's mounted. I like the looks of this thing. I believe it's come down to this or the "screens for bikes" for me.

Sarah
  3. mewerj

mewerj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the look of the Dakar screen but it seems like the CeeBailey Baja Design has a pretty similar look for a lot less money. I'd contemplate painting mine white to match the number plate like a rally fairing.
  4. levity

levity nano-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    late reply: yes, it extends 8.8" beyond the fairing mounted as shown (fork angle yields ~8" vertical rise).
    You could adjust the position slightly by placing the dual-lock buttons a bit lower or higher.
    The position shown works well for me (6') - shorter riders could lower or cut it and still have wind over their helmet.
  5. greer

Oddometer:
    I thought you all might as well get a laugh out of this since my husband sure did. I just got sick of that buffeting bar-mounted windshield and took it off. I started scrounging around trying to figure out how to make my own, figured it couldn't hurt. This is what I came up with; can you guess what I used to make it?

[​IMG][/IMG]

That flip at the top is just what I wanted, but the get-up was a bit too short initially so I added a piece of lexan we had laying around. Believe it or not this outfit works very, very well for me. No pressure on my chest or shoulders, no buffeting at all, clean air from about midpoint of my faceshield up. It does flex though; at an indicated 90 or so the lexan is laying back against the brake hose, but that doesn't seem to hurt anything. Other than that it seems stable as can be. I think I'll run this a while as I ponder what to buy. If I thought the Cee Bailey Baja Designs or LL B-King would work this well I'd shell out the money in a heartbeat. I found my shield in white at Big Lots, Dollar General has them in a nice gray; $3.00 either place.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Sarah
  6. GsVs

GsVs Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Hey Sarah ...

If it works ... then it is the best $3 you have spent on your DR.

I stopped by Lowes today and spent $10 on bolts, washers and spacers for my DR windscreen project and who knows if it will work or not.

When I get it put together I will post the results - good or bad.

Larry
  7. GsVs

GsVs Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer:
  8. Exile

Exile The Mundane and The Magic

Oddometer:
    How much does he make these screens for?
  9. ScottDill

ScottDill TANSTAAFL Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like multiple threads

Here's another option. I used my cast-off Buell Ulysses windscreen bolted on the stock flyscreen with ~1cm spacers. It has a severe rake and just keeps the wind off my chest. I used it on a 900 mile weekend (Ontario Rally Raid - :clap) and was very happy with the results.

As you can see in the picture, it also protects my GPS from stray stones and such. You may also notice that those aren't stock DR mirrors..they came from my Uly too when hers were replaced with those from an Aprillia Tuono. Since some DR owners also replace the turn signals and headlights, with Uly parts, I suppose a real hybrid is possible :D

I used the mirrors and wind screen because they were availible, but they both work great and since Buell parts are reasonably priced (windshield ~$85) they could be an option....also cast-offs from Buell owners may be an option.[​IMG]
  10. HunterSon

HunterSon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another picture of the ScreensForBikes windscreen.

[​IMG]
  11. dylandr

dylandr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. motosaint

motosaint LTLYLTL!

Oddometer:
    I have one of these and it works okay.. Wind hits me around the neck area.. Pretty simple to install and remove for real dirt-riding.

13. vnp514

vnp514 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like this. I'm not a fan of the handle bar mounted windshields. Still holding up for you??

Pete
  14. Bo Radley

Bo Radley ADV Commuter

Oddometer:
    As of tonight, this beauty will be mine. (My first bike!!) I have no idea what kind of wind screen this is, but it looks cool to me.
    [​IMG]

(and check out this great deal I am proabably going to get.)
  15. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a few shot of mine in its current setup. When I first mounted it, it was much higher and more vertical and buffeting was insane. Laid it back and dropped the height so that the wind hits me around the neck/shoulders. Helmet is in clean air.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To get the screen down that low, I had to move the bar mounts way out to the sides so that the rods didn't hit the caps of the fork tubes, they extend down past the caps on either side now.
  16. GsVs

GsVs Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Hey Bo ....

Nice DR ....

That is a TCI Products Windscreen ....

TCI DR650 Windscreen here

17. Bo Radley

Bo Radley ADV Commuter

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    I am sitting here beside myself waiting for the 5:30 work bell...
  18. levity

levity nano-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A clean machine, Bo. Nice choice for a first bike too. :thumb

Lemme know when/if you're up for some local rides.

- Larry
  19. levity

levity nano-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, hasn't budged with all those dual-lock button attachments!
    It's not magic - doesn't turn the DR into a Goldwing on the interstate, but it's a huge improvement over nothing. Allows me to get to the good riding areas.

BTW, here's a photo from April at the top of Rattlesnake Cyn looking down into La Brea Cyn (Los Padres Natl Forest, central Calif., inland from Santa Maria).
    Much of this area won't look the same -- there's a large fire (~70,000 acres) burning out of control there now. :cry
    (This is adjacent to the Wilderness area behind Santa Barbara that burned two years ago!)

[​IMG]

Here's another pic showing a trail the fire probably destroyed

[​IMG]
  20. vnp514

vnp514 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a GW and you're right, this type of setup will not come close to that BUT, I've also got nothing on the DR and this will help a bunch. Appreciate the info!!:clap

Also some great pics!!!

Pete