1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Windblown - Chasing the sun

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by windblown101, Sep 22, 2020.

1. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I generally post up in this section once a ride is in progress or after the fact. A form of personal diary if you will, to share with others and look back on when memories fade and sitting on the porch becomes the favored pastime. I'm changing things up a bit this time. I'm starting the tale now in advance of departure. I'll fill in the rest as the story unfolds...

I live in the mountains of Virginia and I love it here but the itch (That Damn Itch) to see and experience new sights never seems to stay away for long. I need to see what lays on the other side of the horizon...

The Plan: Death Valley California, though a run to the west coast would not be complete without putting my toes in the Pacific ocean and there are far too many off the beaten path points of interest along the way to be ignored. It's hard to say where the compass rose will ultimately lead me.

For those interested pull up a seat. My reports once underway tend to be photo heavy as I believe photos tell a tale better than I can put into words so I generally I content myself to just add a bit of context and let the photos do the talking. :)

Departure date is coming soon! Crossing the country and then coming back during the shoulder season may hold a few challenges along the way. Lots of bike and gear prep on the agenda. More to come...

standby.jpg
  2. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a night or two in DV, Saline Warm Springs. PM me when you get close and I'll buy you a beer or 3 @ Panamint Springs.
    windblown101 likes this.
  3. Hakatan

Hakatan quality > quantity

Oddometer:
    IN for another great @windblown101 ride report! Hope the weather gods cooperate with you.
    windblown101 likes this.
  4. windblown101

Oddometer:
    9 days to departure. I'm currently waiting on one foot and then the other for a rear rim seal and airbox pre-filter to appear at the door step. While waiting for those last couple items I did a gear check and packed the whole thing up on the bike for a test fit. I'm trying something a bit different this year.

The Mosko R80s are an awesome set of travel luggage but they lack a sleekness especially when mostly unloaded for days when I am staying at one place and want to trim the bike down for more challenging terrain. Last year I brought along a Kreiga 10 liter bag to hold my tools and various day ride supplies so I could peel the R80s off. It worked fine for that but I prefer my old trusty small day tripper Wolfman bags for day rides. I said to myself "I wonder if I could taker both?" It seemed odd but it actually looks like it will work out great. My tools and emergency repair supplies are riding in the day trippers. The R80s sit right on top of them just fine. :) So now when I get to a base camp/motel and want to explore around for a couple of days before moving on I have my favorite day trip luggage along for the ride and the bulky stuff left at camp/motel.

Set up for a day ride:
    20200927_162943.jpg

Full travel set-up. If you look really close you can see the front edge of the day trippers which are still mounted and loaded up peeking out from under the R80. It's a wider load packed this way but only by a little.
    20200927_171549.jpg 20200927_183425.jpg

I have a preliminary main route sorted. I wrangled an extra day on the front end of this trip so I'm making a run for the Atlantic ocean before heading west. Why you ask? Because I think it will be cool to chase the sun from one ocean to the next and I can't think of a good reason not to. :)

The main multi-day stops are currently:
    Zuni Mtns in NM. (NMBDR runs thru this area),
    NW rim of the Grand Canyon - The no pavement access anywhere for miles part of it. ;)
    California Coast - Plaskett, Big Sur area
    Death Valley

If I do get forced south (as shown on the return leg of the map) I may opt to explore some on the way back as well. That's still very much in the air. My schedule is pretty flexible (other than Winter is Coming!) as long as I can stop to work by remote every few days. But like any long ride much of it is subject to change depending on which way the wind blows.

202 trip.PNG

Waiting for D-day is the hardest part...
  5. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your luggage solution is simply brilliant! Best of all worlds. In for the duration . . .
    HiJincs and windblown101 like this.
  6. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Last pre-ride installment, promise! Lol.

The prefilter for the airbox and new rim seal for the rear wheel arrived and I got them installed. I've also gone through my supplies and gear one more time. Its a good thing I'm not a pilot because I never do check lists. I just kind of mull over stuff for awhile.

20200928_145520.jpg

20200928_133030.jpg

Contents of the Wolfman Day trippers checked one last time and now packed
    20201001_084815.jpg

This is all my riding & camping gear gear (less boots) that I am dragging along. Layers will be the name of the game for the large variety of temps I'll be riding in. Man, that's a lot of crap. I may leave it sit out for a bit and mull over it a bit more before packing it back up!
    20201001_123520.jpg

Working 12 hour shifts Sat, Sun & Mon. Taking off for the Outer Banks of NC on Tuesday morning for the official start westward.
  7. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great route, you should have a time of it.
    windblown101 likes this.
  8. Aces&8s

Aces&8s Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in. Looks like a nice trip before winter. Looking forward to hearing/seeing more.
    windblown101 likes this.
  9. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Left the Northern Shenandoah Valley in Va yesterday morning and headed SE towards the outer banks in NC. Clear skies, cool temps (37 degrees).

20201006_072839.jpg

Spent the afternoon poking around the outer banks.
    20201007_084106.jpg

Rode along the beach for several miles outside of Corrolla NC. It's actually an official road as it's the only way to get to the northern most community there.
    20201006_164917.jpg

Spent the night at Oregon Inlet Campgound and fell asleep to the sound of the ocean waves crashing onto the shore. Woke up, made a cup of coffee and watched the sunrise. Not a bad way to start the day. As much as I'd like to dawdle around and listen to Otis Redding it's time to start rolling west...
    20201007_070746.jpg
    Anby, russ4ru, BigDogRaven and 19 others like this.
  10. Dan D.

Dan D. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jealous
  11. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me too.
  12. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    Following, fantastic pictures and places !

Are you using Rallz front and rear, and do you have a change planned or trying to have them last the duration ?
    windblown101 likes this.
  13. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Yep, Rallz on both ends. Plan to change them in California. Based on last years big ride they should make that. Though I worry about all the high speed pavement miles this trip has compared to the last one. The front gets hot pretty easy at speed. We'll see!
  14. windblown101

Oddometer:
    @Dan D. & @kubcat

All that's required is a little money in the piggy bank and pretty much no life outside of work and riding. :)
    ClutchDumpinDan likes this.
  15. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Day2 wrap up:

Whew... over 500 miles to get from one side of North Carolina to the other. I spent most of the day buzzing across the state until I got back into the mountains. Could not pass up one last shot at twisty mountain roads before hitting flatland. So I jumped onto Rt 19 theu Maggie Valley, then hit a section of the Blue Ridge Parkway followed by Rt 441 thru The Smoky Mountain Nat Park. The park was new for me and a real pleasure. Awesome views, saw a couple bull elk sparring, and finally got some wear on the sides of the tires. I got to Pigeon Forge TN for the night. What a madhouse that place is! Wall to wall people. Probably wont have much to say for a couple of days. Will be trying to focus on making miles. I got 550 in today but want to crank out a bit more than that until I hits Grants NM and get off the pavement again.

A few photos from the day.
    20201007_181234.jpg 20201007_181903.jpg 20201007_190351.jpg 20201007_191744.jpg 20201007_194831.jpg
  16. Comrade Art

Comrade Art Working stiff

Oddometer:
    Following along :thumb
  17. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Smokey's are good stuff, I don't think there's a road better for scenery in the east than the NC section of the BRP. And yea, Pigeon forge is cool but a real tourist trap designed to drain your wallet!! I'm digging the luggage setup, I was going to ask you about it but don't need to now that I found the RR. I see you're return route dips into N. TX, might want to check out Palo Duro, supposed to be a semi-hidden gem kind of thing, I didn't quite make it that far last year.
    windblown101 likes this.
  18. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Yep NC section of the BRP is always good. I got lucky with it and the Smoky Mtn Park. Hit it late in the day plus during the week which made for light traffic and room to have some fun. The pavement in the park was pristine. :)

Luggage is working well.

Aired up the tires a bit more this morning. Front is holding up pretty good but constant 80mph on hot pavement is going to work it.

On Rt40 now making the march to NM. Plan to get to Grant's by Saturday evening.
    Toddv likes this.
  19. Dan D.

Dan D. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    80mpg... Lucky bastard. :p
    windblown101 likes this.
  20. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My guess is thats a typo - He plans to average 80 mpH to get to NM on time. I think he's closer to 40mpg with his RB tune - no envy there...
    windblown101 likes this.