Windblown - Chasing the sun

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by windblown101, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    We'll go with tourist....:lol3
  2. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    We'll go with tourist...:jack
    windblown101 likes this.
  3. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear us 'mericans are too salty...
  4. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Made it to Louisiana and swing past Lake Charles since I have a bit of history with the place from past hurricane recovery efforts.

Sobering site. Not sure which hurricane took out this section of boardwalk and many of the buildings but I suspect it's old damage. Perhaps as old as the ones I worked, perhaps newer.
    20201105_114655.jpg

The damage to the Vietnam memorial here looks recent. And yet the damage seems to fit with the losses from that war in a weird and sad way. It stuck a chord and I'm going to sit for a bit.
    20201105_114210.jpg

Later.
    joefromsf, ubermick, Amphib and 7 others like this.
  5. andredl

andredl Back to the Desert...

Oddometer:
    That is realistic.
  6. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i've run across some folks who could probably come up with a definitive answer, but i'd hesitate to get close enough to ask the question.
  7. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    don't blame ya, lost a friend who was a door gunner on one of those. saw him on convalescent leave after he was wounded on his first tour, but he was already scheduled to go back for another. when i asked why he wanted to go back, he replied "It's the only thing I'm really good at these days".
  8. windblown101

Oddometer:
    I swear this not planned... Pulled into Baton Rouge (I cant say that without attempting a cajun accent) to get some gas and grab a photo of the Mississippi river and literally rode right past the USS Kidd veterans Memorial.

I reckon it's a message for me to reflect on those who have sacrificed so much for me and this country. For all its faults its still one of the greatest countries on earth. Founded with ideals we should all try to aspire to.
    20201105_150603.jpg

Yeah I know. Not MC related. But hey, it's my ride report. Just reflecting on what I see.

Im pointing the nose of the bike towards the southern edge of the Talledgia National forest. That should change the subject matter. :)
  9. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    James whats ur ETA to be hitting the valley? We'll be camping at our new place on the river near Luray this weekend, so if you're coming through and want to make a stop on the home stretch let me know.
    windblown101 likes this.
  10. windblown101

Oddometer:
    ETA is a bit up in the air, lol. I am supposed to work next Tuesday but....

I want to run the "Skyway" route (123 miles) up thru Talladega NF and I won't reach it till tomorrow afternoon. Then thought I'd maybe buzz up to @Baggi'tard place which will eat another day. Then from there do the north end of his DAT route to Damacus [another 480 miles). Then maybe put the fork in myself with Iron Mountain Trail before jumping on the Interstate home. So yeah... somethings gotta give somewhere.

Going to talk to the boss tomorrow and see if we can just write off next weeks work schedule... should be an interesting conversation after being on the road for a month as of today. :)
  11. DCrider

Oddometer:
    As much as I'd like to see you I vote for you to keep on rocking on an awesome ride! I think you got my cell number but I'll pm it to you just in case.
  12. DCrider

Oddometer:
    Wait IMT ont the 790, shit that'll be epic!
  13. windblown101

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to see if it will be me or the bike that cries "uncle" first. I'm starting to think it will be me. If the boss's tone indicates I will have PLENTY of free time to ride if I'm not online come Tuesday morning I will probably do the "skyway" then bust ass to Damacus and see how the timeframe looks. I believe the MC legal section of IMT is only about 20 miles? Piece of cake, right? :)
    HiJincs likes this.
  14. DCrider

Oddometer:
    Yeah about 20mi and for you hell ya piece of cake! :D
    windblown101 likes this.
  15. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Made it up into the Talledega National forest and making my way north on some pretty sweet forest roads that offer a mix of views and challenges. I ran into a few wet patches of dirt and a few spots that look like they had been wet. I think they call it mud... been so long since I've seen any I forgot what it looks like.

Found a good dispersed campsite along the ridgeline. Let's me keep an eye on the fire below in the valley. :)

Feels great to be doing some loaded up overlanding and non campground camping. No pavement or people to be seen.

20201106_161149.jpg

20201106_164723.jpg

20201106_164753.jpg

20201106_165257.jpg

DSC00822.JPG

Will break camp and continue north tomorrow.
  16. DCrider

Oddometer:
    Yep a desperate looking tourist :rofl
  17. FAW3

FAW3 Old wanderer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along...great report with fantastic photos.

And yes...you made the right decision back in Galveston!
  18. windblown101

Oddometer:
    A beautiful morning in the mountains. It's a cruel twist of fate that now that I am in my favorite environment and feel re energized to tackle the unknown that the clock is ticking so quickly for me to return home.

Camp is broken down, bike is packed, morning coffee almost finished. I'm going to go see what kind of trouble I can get myself into (and back out of hopefully). ;)

Peace.

20201107_064536.jpg
  19. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like you had company in your campsite! Great spot
  20. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Indeed. I stayed quiet and they slept soundly.
    Toddv likes this.