Windblown - Chasing the sun

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by windblown101, Sep 22, 2020.

1. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Took forest roads up thru Talladega NF this morning. Good ride! Nice combo of mellow and mildly spicy. Tip of the hat to those who cleared the massive number of blow downs from the storm that rolled thru a week ago. Bit drizzly this morning which helped dampen the forest fire hot spots.

20201107_092604.jpg

20201107_091005.jpg

20201107_160930.jpg

20201107_160816.jpg

20201107_113532.jpg

20201107_160655.jpg

Got out of the forest and pointed to bike towards Telico Plains. In route I had the biggest on road "Oh Shit" moment of my life that did not result in carnage. Pickup on a side road on the right pulled out right in front of me making a left turn. I was doing 45mph and had no where to go. All I remember is being hard on the brakes. Aiming to the right so I would hit the bed rather than the cab. Rear end of bike broke loose and swung left. Just before the highside/lowside breakpoint the bed of the truck moved forward enough that I figured I had a shot at missing the impact and taking my chances in the woods. With front brake still on I got off the rear brake and the backend recovered. Saw a chance that I might actually save it, jammed the rear again as I pointed the nose of the bike left and rear swapped right, cleared the back of the truck and with only a slight angry shake of its head I found myself still on two wheels and back under control.

Just plain dumb luck, or maybe that fella I slept next to up on the ridge last night likes motorcyclists. Dont know, but I'm completely dumbfounded by it. I couldn't pull off that maneuver on demand in a 100 attempts.

Oh, and I called the Farmhouse Inn but they are booked. Off to find a campground.

Night!

Attached Files:

2. pro69ss

pro69ss Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    One is man with machine ! Good save .
    windblown101 likes this.
  3. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Whatever it was it's been 34 years since I last failed to dodge a vehicle that didn't see me. I was very happy to add another day to that tally. My Spidy-sense is pretty well developed. Usually there is a slight roll of the tire as they let off the brake. This guy must have been driving with one foot on the brake and one on the gas.

Anyways. Off to make my way to Damascus VA.
    DCrider, Ginger Beard and ilten like this.
  4. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was just in Damascus VA! Started the MABDR there. It is a fantastic town, has the AT running through it as well as a rail trail called the "creeper trail". Really enjoyed the time we had there before we left last Tuesday for the MABDR. Your weather results may not match ours! As ours was simply fantastic for the first week of November. And the people are really friendly there as well.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  5. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Weather is awesome! Crazy, right?

Ran Cherola Skyway and 129 to Happy Valley this morning. GPS looks like it will run me thru Shady Valley on the way to Damascus. All together that will sate the twisty fix. Going to take a peak at IMT when I get to Damascus. If it looks doable will probably start it and see if I can find a remote spot to camp and tackle the rest in the morning.
    ilten, Ginger Beard and MeVoGTC like this.
  6. chudzikb

Oddometer:
    Really liked our time in VA, especially the less populated parts. Good folks an great scenery!
  7. windblown101

Oddometer:
    A couple folks asked and unbelievable I have some service on this ridge top. I'm on IMT. Stopping for the night as it's just about full dark. Location is N 36 degrees 39.407' W 81 degrees 44.338'.

This trail on a loaded bike is the real deal... lol.

Nighty night. :)
    ilten, DCrider, Ginger Beard and 2 others like this.
  8. chudzikb

Oddometer:
    Did the loaded bike on the last trip, there has to be a better way. My buddy says derisively it is credit card camping in hotels. Seems to be the way, ride light, sleep well! Despite what the GS folks say, lighter is always, always better!
  9. windblown101

Oddometer:
    No camping gear does make the riding easier and lord knows I'm not opposed to breaking out the credit card for a room if one is handy.

But having the gear to camp means you dont have to worry about getting somewhere. With out camping gear I'd be in a motel in Damascus rather than sitting here on a nice wooded ridge top chilling in the great outdoors. Cant wait to fire up the stove in the morning, drink a cup of coffee, enjoy light coming to the world around me and be on the trail the moment my leg crosses over the saddle. That's what makes it an adventure ride versus just a hard day of riding. :)

Btw. I'd post pics but I have been getting an error right after the upload completes all day. Maybe I have exceeded my quota?

Brrr... getting chilly now that the sweat has dried off. Time to throw on a heavy shirt. 66 degrees right now, in November! Lol.
    fastring, Ikeya-Seki, Aces 6 and 4 others like this.
  10. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Ah! Got photo uploads working again. Modern technology!

Cherohola
    20201108_124027.jpg

Admiring a trio of GSs at the start of 129 (the tail of the dragon)
    20201108_123946.jpg

Up on 129 just before getting to the turn off on Happy Valley. The place was a zoo. Chased some Tards for s bit. Video of that and IMT later.
    20201108_123914.jpg

Start of the Iron Mountain Trail from Damascus side.
    20201108_161411.jpg

Lots of roots. Usually hiding under the leaves.
    20201108_174401.jpg

Ran until it got dark. My balance at night is sketchy. Stopped shortly after sunset for the night. Parked right on the trail but I seriously doubt I'll see anyone coming thru.
    20201108_184220.jpg
    flying.moto, ilten, DCrider and 8 others like this.
  11. chudzikb

Oddometer:
    There is something to camping! But, cold is no fun either.
  12. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Here's to last day on the trail! I'll pack up and head for home here shortly. With a bit of luck I'll be sitting on my porch when the sun goes down.

20201109_073324.jpg
    joefromsf, Ikeya-Seki, Toddv and 13 others like this.
  13. HiJincs

HiJincs Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your travels with us! Well done!!
    Billy52 and windblown101 like this.
  14. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

That's a great spot. Stopped there for a coffee and snack break back in 2015. Most riders I've met have no idea how enjoyable the riding is in AL.
    windblown101 likes this.
  15. windblown101

Oddometer:
    I'm out and back on pavement. North half of the Iron Mountain Trail was all flowy single track, though at times running side hill with very steep drop off.

The bike lodged one last complaint as I was airing up the tires at the start of pavement. I had been eying the voltage output with suspicion on the trail last night. It's not charging at low revs. Might be regulator or it might be battery. Anyway the voltage dropped enough while airing up the tires with the bike running to trip the protection circuit on the anti-gravity restart battery and killed power.

Unloaded the bike, hit the restart button and it started up. Took off for a spin up and down the road I was on until it hit 13.4 volts and reloaded the bike. In town now filling the bike up with gas and the tires with air.

I think the bike is telling me it wants to go home.
    andredl, Aces 6, motorchi and 5 others like this.
  16. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    happy to see you made it home with the great RR you shared with us.

congrats!
    Billy52 and windblown101 like this.
  17. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Getting caught up, nice, you are far in on IMT so it must have gone well. Edit- Big CONGRATS on completing the IMT on a loaded big bike, that's some serious skilled riding!
    Billy52, Hakatan and windblown101 like this.
  18. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Back in the garage. A good wash for both me and the bike is needed. Me first though!
    20201109_190618.jpg

Original trip plan was for between 6-7 thousand miles. I overshot that by a couple thousand.
    20201109_190221.jpg
  19. Comrade Arturo

Comrade Arturo Veterinario

Oddometer:
    You put some miles on that bike. Enjoyed following along :thumb
    Ginger Beard and windblown101 like this.
  20. Air Force Vet

Air Force Vet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for a great report and glad everything worked out. So, in the end, how did you like the Moskos?
    dam0nd0g likes this.