Windblown - Chasing the sun

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by windblown101, Sep 22, 2020.

1. rplo

rplo ?

Oddometer:
    What a way to spend a frigid Saturday in northern IL. Two Windblown ride reports (The Break the KTM 790 Ride and Chasing the Sun). Awesome and the IMT is now on the list - looks intense and awesome at the same time. MTB back ground so love single track. Thanks again for making the reports, learned a ton and thoroughly enjoyed the stories. Of course now I have more questions and reading this report and likely a few more purchases.

Questions...
    -Long time GSA rider/owner thus haven't had to deal with chain maintenance for a motorcycle in a long long time. New KTM 890 R so trying to learn all I can about the bike etc. before the season. What is your chain maintenance protocol, if you have one, for trips like these? I have read through some threads and forums but would love to know what you do, what you use, and what you pack if anything.
    -Did you run the KTM DIDstar rims on the Break the 790 Adventure trip as you did for this one or did you run the stock tubeless rims? If you ran the stock tubeless rims for the Break the 790 trip did you carry a spare tube as a back up and if so, are there any issues fitting the tube valve stem in the stock tubeless rims?
  2. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @rplo

Thanks for checking out the reports.

Chain: I carried two travel size cans of Dupont dry lube for the chain. Using a Trail Stand (https://advrider.com/f/threads/trail-stand-enduro-and-dual-sport-portable-jack-stand.538235/) I would lift the rear tire up every other day and give the chain a shot of lube. Other than checking tension once in awhile that was it. Never did have to adjust chain tension on the trip.

Rims/Tubes: I ran the stock rims on both trips. The KTM PP Dirt Stars I just use for local rides. However, I have converted the front stock rim to a tubed tire and run it that way. Didn't have to do anything special to use a tube in the front, just pull the OEM valve and slip a tube in. The OEM valve hole is a little larger so some folks will run a washer under the outside valve stem nut. I don't bother doing that though. I'd just lose it in the dirt at some point anyway, LOL. Even before I switched to running a tubed tire up front I always carried a spare tube and spoons anyway. Not the first time I've damaged a front tire to the point there is no repairing it with plugs.

For the rear I actually like running tubeless and have done so on a few bikes. It helps keep excess heat buildup under control on the fast sections, reduces weight slightly, and getting going after picking up a nail is a lot quicker. For me: runinng a tube in front, and tubeless in rear works pretty well. If a rear is not repairable with a plug then the spare front tube can be used in a pinch on the rear (plus I carry big honking Zipties to keep a blown tire on a rim in an emergency.

You make it down this way and want to run the IMT and/or some other routes in the region let me know. I'm usually up for a run and would enjoy another round on the IMT with a bit less of a load.
    Ginger Beard and NoelJ like this.
  3. rplo

rplo ?

Oddometer:
    Will do and thanks again for great ride report and answering my questions. Browsed through some of your Youtube vids....today is out to the garage and check the rear brake free play and a few other misc. things.
    windblown101 likes this.
  4. RozzyCat

RozzyCat Bleeds orange Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR! As state previously - a perfect balance of pics and text.
    I just reread a second time as I'm picking up an 890R in a couple of weeks. Can you share the outcome of your discussions with KTM regarding your gas tank? Any thoughts on additional protection? Appreciate any insights.
  5. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

I did get word to the regional KTM rep regarding the tank, and was nicely told... not going to be covered. I can't hold that against them. Way out of warranty and obviously has hit the ground many, many times.

I repaired the tank. I have no plans to add crashbars. We'll see what happens. Tank repair detailed here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/ktm-790-gas-tank-repair.1477023/
    RozzyCat likes this.
  6. Motochimp

Motochimp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WB, really appreciate the pics and commentary of your post. You and a few others on here have motivated me to take some time off this year and get out and enjoy the ride. I'm currently planning my TAT trip for early July and have an 890R on order. I'm still up in the air on which bike to ride, the new 890 or my FE 350. I keep coming back to my 350 but sure would like to take the bigger bike if I knew the worst parts of the trail. Is there anything on the TAT that is more difficult than the IMT? Looked doable but with a bit of rain it might be more than I would want to bite off on the bigger bike loaded with gear. I would consider myself a better than average off road rider at 56 years old. I'm probably over thinking this whole thing but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your adventures.
  7. windblown101

Oddometer:
    @Motochimp

The bigger bike will be nicer on a lot of the trip, less maintenance as well. If you're comfortable on the bigger bike and don't mind skipping some sections if the weather turns to crap and aren't determined to tackle every single hard option I'd say take the bigger bike. If the mission is to run every single mile of the TAT and hit every hard option regardless of weather then the small bike is likely the safer bet. However, I've never run the entire TAT from end to end and there are a few sections I have not seen. From what I hear the worst part is the mud in some sections if it's wet. Reportedly it gets so bad even the little bikes can flounder and get stuck in it.

The IMT isn't really all that bad just tight in spots and I was in kind of rough shape by that point in the trip. The majority of the TAT is much more open. It will boil down to personality I suspect - I'd rather have to work a little harder in the occasional technical terrain and be more comfortable and mildly challenged versus bored in the easier stuff, which is 90 percent of the TAT.

But I give up comfort grudgingly. ;)
    Aces 6 likes this.
  8. Motochimp

Motochimp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is great advice and exactly the opinion I was looking for. Considering I’m in no hurry, and one of my reasons for taking this trip is to see as much as I can while I have the time. I know my 350 is the proper answer but seeing the stuff you’ve been riding your 790 thru I keep thinking, maybe, just maybe... Thanks for the words of wisdom and keeping me on track. Next box to check is figure out my GPS options and learn proper navigation skills.

I look forward to following you on your next adventure.
    windblown101 likes this.
  9. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you check out this guy's YouTube channel, he has a playlist of the entire TAT ride on KLR650s - complete with milk crates. These guys are a hoot to watch. You can see the terrain for yourself and make a more informed decision. From these, I would say the 890, but the mud really SUCKED - literally. Not sure the 350 would do much better - just less mass to push around.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjMC-zHcU86N6-DCFASm36RxZ2hNhjqCK
  10. Motochimp

Motochimp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good stuff Cat, I’ll check it out.
  11. Vacillator

Vacillator Can't decide Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another good read.
    Cheers.
    windblown101 likes this.
  12. Motochimp

Motochimp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just finished this guys TAT adventure on YouTube, absolutely hilarious and educational at the same time. Thanks for the heads up!
    kubcat likes this.
  13. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Just finished it as well.....the boot! Holy cow! and it made it!!!
    kubcat likes this.
  14. Motochimp

Motochimp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right?! The boot... the hot pocket warmer... I could go on... such a classic.

I'm planning my TAT trip for this summer and have watched a lot of videos, after this one I won't need to see anymore.
    Aces 6 likes this.
  15. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    :pynd
    It was pretty epic...in a low brow sort of way. Proves you just need to go out and do it regardless of gear or ride.