1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Windblown - Chasing the sun

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by windblown101, Sep 22, 2020.

1. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fixed. Lol.
  2. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Mpg is rising a bit. Wind load is definitely a factor with a full load as speeds increase. Mpg wasn't stellar with the stock set up at interstate speeds last year on my trip either. :(
  3. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Day 3 coming to a close. Not much to report. Left the Tenn mtns this morning in the fog.

CC on the bike flaked for awhile this afternoon and then started working again. First time its given me any trouble in 17k miles.

Oh, and the sun beat me to the horizon again today. Maybe I'll have better luck tomorrow. About 100 miles east of Ft Smith Arkansas... dang it.

20201008_184331.jpg
  4. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    In from New Zealand :wave
    windblown101 likes this.
  5. pro69ss

pro69ss Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    In ...
    Thanks for sharing
    windblown101 likes this.
  6. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Stayed in Fort Smith AR last night and staged up to enter Oklahoma this morning. Think I'll shoot for Amarillo Tx for tonight which will make Grant's an easy hop on Sunday. I'm looking forward to getting there and spending a couple of days off pavement and exploring around.

I "roughed it" at a Comfort Inn last night. Not very tough explorer like of me but hey, I did use the bathroom sink to wash clothes. Does that count? Lol.

20201008_215654.jpg
  7. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    Otis Redding...was a student at UW-Madison back in "67 and had a ticket to his upcoming concert in December, except his private plane crashed into Lake Monona about two miles from campus on the day of the concert. weird sad day. most of the Motown crowd came through Madison, i think i saw them all, great shows, great music.
    windblown101 likes this.
  8. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Day4 in the books.

Buzzed thru Oklahoma and entered Texas today. Flat, windy, hot... such is life. Embrace the suckage crank up the tunes and motor on.

20201009_142216.jpg 20201009_180539.jpg

I parked the bike for the night in Tucumcari NM. It looks like it was quite the traveler's stop over in the 50s and maybe 60s. Now mostly a forgotten bookmark in rt 66s history.

Tomorrow I'll be exploring the Zuni Mountains... so close I can taste it.
  9. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Quick morning update.

2289 miles into the trip as of yesterday evening. Tires holding up well to the high speed pavement abuse (38 psi cold, religiously).

There is a single hill in the distance with radio towers on top. Going to go check if there is a way up it before heading to Grant's.

20201010_072703.jpg 20201010_072449.jpg 20201010_071430.jpg

Attached Files:

10. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Finally made it across the flatlands.

20201010_165120.jpg

Arrived in Grant's NM and ran up towards Mt Taylor.
    20201010_152216.jpg

20201010_150638.jpg

Sadly the road was blocked before I got to the peak and a friendly Sheriff's deputy explained that with the high winds predicted they opted to close the area in case the recent fire up there flares back up. He said they hoped to have it open for Monday. We chatted a bit and he had some suggestions for trails to hit once I get the bike unloaded. Nothing like getting some local knowledge! :)
  11. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Day 6: For the first time so far on this trip I feel like I'm having some adventure. I only logged 126 miles today and feel like someone beat me with a stick. I love it!

The Zuni Mountains did not disappoint.

. Had to turn back on a trail that kicked my ass first thing this morning.
    . Conquered some equally hard stuff later.
    . Went completely off route and explored many trails with no names.
    . Watched a big hawk (or small eagle) snatch a squirrel off the trail in front of me.
    . Saw a pair of Bobcats stop to check me out.
    . Took in some great views
    . Rode a ton of flowy sweet two track.
    . Came across an abandoned mine while WAY off the beaten path. :)

In short - I explored. No set goals, no schedule, no counting miles. This is why I ride.

Shout out to @trailwerks & @CaptCapsize - I found an old thread "7 trails of gold" and used the Fluorospar loop & a little of the Zuni Mtn sampler as a base from which to work, Thanks! :)

Photo dump.
    ADV01.jpg

ADV02.jpg

ADV03.jpg

Another mine.jpg

mine sign.jpg

mine.jpg

Spicey.jpg

Spicey2.jpg

Lava.jpg

20201011_165923.jpg
  12. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Late but >in<

Damn you Windblown....I'm jonesing and jealous as I have not ridden West in two years. Two brand new knees had me sticking closer to home, MABDR and a run to Maine.

I see your route home is close to Knoxville. We have campsite on a creek if you are not hell bent & burning pavement for home by then.
    Ginger Beard and windblown101 like this.
  13. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Hope those new knees are treating you well! Thanks for the offer re: TN. Not sure what I'll be doing that far out yet. ;)

Spent the morning today making phone calls to see if I can A) Get up on Mt Taylor today. Called the forest service and they said the decision was made to lift the travel ban and remove the barricades but she didn't know if it was done yet.

Also discovered last night that my planned stay at GC Toroweap overloook on Wed requires a backcountry permit from the NPS. Usually requests are sent to them well in advance. I don't haver that luxury so I called the Backcountry info center and the lady said I should be able to get one in person at the North rim station. I hadn't planned on making that side trip but I'm working it into the schedule now. Can't take the direct route there as the Navaho Nation is still on lock down and I understand there is no traveling thru it at the moment. I'm flexible until Friday night when I have to be someplace I can set up for remote working for a couple of days.
    Toddv, ilten, Ginger Beard and 2 others like this.
  14. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Nice report so far. Great to see a bike not overloaded with gear. Do you have camping stuff like a tent, or just a hammock?
    Also, nice to see you exploring the good stuff with the crap off the bike. Never could understand riding technical stuff with an extra 100 lbs. of stuff on the back.
  15. windblown101

Oddometer:
    I've got a big load. Tent and full camping gear, stove to make coffee, warm clothes for cold nights. The straw that breaks the camels back is a full size work laptop and assorted other stuff for work that I had to drag along with me. So lots more moteling than normal for me this trip.

I certainly prefer to unload before exploring when I can though for thru routes like I did a lot of last year there is not much choice but to take it all with you and keep it as trimmed down as possible. Setting up a base of operations is just about a requirement for getting into anything interesting since I'm hauling work related gear with me as well. My boss would not take kindly to me having to explain that the company laptop was sitting at the bottom of a cliff, got damaged, or stolen. It's a bit of ball and chain... LOL.
  16. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Day 7: Mount Taylor NM - In the books. The closure due to the Colorado II fire were lifted this morning which let me go up and explore the area and man I'm glad I did. A variety of riding and the views are epic!

Snippet from Wiki for those not familiar with the area:
    In other words if you are passing thru the area do not miss it and the absolutely killer 360 degree view from La Mosca Lookout at 11,036 feet.

I checked the bike over this morning and headed out with sunny skies and temps around 50 degrees. Could not ask for better riding weather! Spent most of the morning and a chunk of the afternoon wandering around the trail and road system that runs throughout the area.

Making my way to the top.
    coming up to Mosco overlook..jpg

20201012_122937.jpg

Lookout.jpg

Sign.jpg

And the views...
    view1.jpg

view2.jpg

view3.jpg

view4.jpg

view5.jpg

view6.jpg

Then a nice mellow forest ride over to another overlook that sits on a wide plateau at a bit over 10,000ft. I could not quite make out the name of it on the sign I found.

easy going main route.jpg

uk ovrlook.jpg

unk view1.jpg

unk view2.jpg

Did a fair bit of wandering around afterwards on a variety of roads and trails. But don't want to kill anyones internet with photo overload! LOL.

So tonight I get my ass packed up and ready to hit the road at of before first light and see if I can score a backcountry permit so I can spend the night at Toroweap overlook in the Grand Canyon.
    kzeb, StinkyCheese, MCKitch and 12 others like this.
  17. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hay, if you have the front wheel up in the air with that stand, can you take a photo? I still haven’t figured out the best place to place the stand to raise the front yet...

Looks like a good trip soooo far.....
  18. windblown101

Oddometer:
    I had the lube the chain before tomorrow's big pavement run so here ya go.

Couple of different ways to do it with the EE skidplate. Back when I had the stock skid plate I opened one of the holes in front slightly to run the top hook into.

20201012_175457.jpg 20201012_175514.jpg 20201012_175553.jpg
    davide, ilten, Amphib and 1 other person like this.
  19. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir.....
    windblown101 likes this.
  20. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    For the last 3 years, my buddy and I have had plans to ride NM, CO , UT and AZ and each time our trip has been canceled for one reason or another.

You're killin' me here!!! But in the best way. Thoroughly enjoying your ride report! :wings
    windblown101 and Amphib like this.