1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Windblown - Chasing the sun

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by windblown101, Sep 22, 2020.

1. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Its dark and the temp gauge reads 37 degrees. I have the bike all loaded and ready for the run to the Grand Canyon and then on to Kanab to stage up for my ride to Toroweap.

I however am dragging ass and think I'll sit here and SLOWLY finish this coffee...
  2. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still drinking that coffee?:imaposer:smile6:happay

I’m home with my son, homeschooling....daydreaming of what your trip must be like.....in my nice, warm, dry kitchen......Keep riding!
    windblown101 likes this.
  3. windblown101

Oddometer:
    I mentioned previously that I discovered yesterday that I needed to obtain a backcountry permit in order to camp out at Toroweap Overlook. That would add about 150 miles to my day since I would have to run all the way down Hwy 67 and back to the North Rim Backcountry permit office in order to get one. Make it so, says I and off I went (after that real slow cup of coffee this morning)

That dang sun catching up to me already. I did make another time zone jump today so that helped though.
    sun chasing.jpg

Another long road into the distance to start out the day. :(
    long road1.jpg

The views are starting to change again.
    changing views.jpg

Got to the Grand Canyon Main North Rim location. Got my back country permit secured and then took the opportunity to snap a few pics since I was here and the crowds were light (pleasant surprise#1) There is still a bit of smoke haze on the air from fires. We'll see how these compare to Toroweap overlook in a few days. I'll let you all be the judges. ;)
    cg view1.jpg
    gc view2.jpg

This weathered old tree has seen a whole bunch of seasons come and go I imagine.
    GC old tree.jpg

Pleasant surprise #2 - The Kaibab National Forest has a bunch of sweet forest roads and two track through the forest and meadows. And you best believe I took advantage of that since I was in the area anyway! :)
    twotrack.jpg
    twotrack1.jpg

Muleys look so goofy with their rabbit hops to guy who lives around Whitetails.
    muley2.jpg

Saw a few Bison along the road as I motored back north.
    bison1.jpg

Got to Kanab and finished off the day at an outdoor seating steakhouse.
    dinner.jpg

I may play tourist for a a bit tomorrow before I go off the grid for a bit. We'll see. Maybe something unexpected will happen. :)
  4. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good stuff!! Hopefully you'll get a chance to sit under the stars while you're out there away from civilization at some point It's one of those things I have to do on almost every trip.
    windblown101 likes this.
  5. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That weathered old tree looks suspiciously like the "spider tree" in a previous GC ride report from @rtwpaul. If you haven't read it and seen his pictures, you should check it out.
    windblown101 likes this.
  6. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Quick morning update. I decided rather than go play tourist I'd go check out an OHV area I found about 3 miles north of me. They had a Moderate rated trail to a place called the Pinnacles that looked pretty cool...

I ride to the trailhead and check out the maps.
    Hog Canyon entrance.jpg

Don't know if I took a wrong turn but a trail rating of "moderate" may have been geared more towards Razors. I found myself on a long uphill climb in deep sand. Check out the video for an idea of how sandy...
    sandy.jpg

Naturally I decided to continue on because well... hell I don't know, just because I ain't always the brightest bulb in the circuit, LOL. I got around a few more corners and then unceremoniously dumped the bike in the trail. No big deal other than I tweaked my lame ass back in the process. With some back spasms to persuade me I tucked tail and headed back to town and now I'm sitting here licking my wounded ego and back for a bit.

doh.jpg

I hear Zion Nat Park is nice, maybe that will be more my speed today... Need to be feeling better fast for Toroweap.
  7. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So that’s what the bottom of motorcycle looks like....:rofl:imaposer:y0!

Take some ibuprofen and do some stretching...glad you’re ok and having fun....
    Ginger Beard and windblown101 like this.
  8. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that's the plan. I'm putting myself on injured reserve for today and hoping it passes quickly. Was definitely the right call to bail and not press on further this morning. I can't stand up straight at the moment. Getting old sucks. If the spasms don't subside I'll look up an urgent care. Based on past experience I think I caught it in time by not continuing on and should be 80% or better by tomorrow.
  9. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hope the back gets itself right by tomorrow.

I really appreciate your report style; heavy on great pics and just the necessary words
    windblown101 likes this.
  10. Pete Pilot

Pete Pilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I often ride alone and with a lower spine that’s less than ideal. Had a few lonely get offs. Been lucky so far. Having said that do take care!!!! Enjoying the read and photos. Continue with the fun. Petepilot
    DCrider and windblown101 like this.
  11. Ten Speed

Ten Speed Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out Sublime point on North rim if you have time, you won't regret it. It is a journey on dirt, looks like no problem for you.
  12. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ugh, that deep shit suuuuks.......Hit the Advil hard....4 gel caps before you hit the rack and no bourbon:thumbup...ok maybe a snort...
  13. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Took 15 minutes to figure out a way to get out of bed this morning. Things locked up good overnight... Glad I was not camping.

Moving around has loosened things up and feeling a bit better. Even managed to get my socks on after a bit, lol.

No urgent care clinic in Kanab to see about picking up a Steroid pack and dont want to pay for an ER visit. When I woke up I thought there would be zero chance of me riding for a couple of days but I've changed my mind now. Packing up (slowly) for Toroweap.

Toroweap is too high on the to do list to come all this way and not get there. I'll check back late Friday when I get back to civilization.
    DCrider, Ginger Beard, Toddv and 2 others like this.
  14. davide

davide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enjoying your trip and pics. I used to live in Kanab (worked at the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary just north of town), cool place with lots of great riding. Definitely go thru Zion if you can, Springdale is also a nice place to have lunch in... Hope your back improves asap!
    windblown101 likes this.
  15. ClutchDumpinDan

ClutchDumpinDan Go do

Oddometer:
    Holy hell, can’t slow you down! Can’t believe I missed this. Sub’d for nighttime reading. Can’t wait to follow along!
    windblown101 likes this.
  16. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have my fingers crossed for you. If there’s a walgreens/cvs in the neighborhood, go pick up a heating pad..... fyi, 800 mg of ibuprofen is prescription strength, otc is 200 mg....
    windblown101 likes this.
  17. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Dropped my loaded AT a few weeks ago on a trip. I have back and neck issues. I tweaked it good, was worried about it being a trip ender, but long walks, paying attention to posture, and a routine of acetaminophen and ibuprofen kept it in check. Prednisone is my go to when it gets bad. Any chance you can have your doc send a prescription ahead to some pharmacy? I've done this in the past. In fact I'll sometimes keep a cycle around for just in case.

Anyway man, enjoying your trip. I hope you feel better. I totally know what that back deal is like.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  18. misterk

misterk Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    great report, thanks and I hope your back heals quickly
    windblown101 likes this.
  19. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry about the back. Hopefully it'll losen back up for you...
    windblown101 likes this.
  20. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Still kicking. More later...

20201015_120632.jpg
    DCrider, MeVoGTC, Hakatan and 6 others like this.