1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Windblown - Chasing the sun

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by windblown101, Sep 22, 2020.

1. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So.... Toroweap.

Toroweap is an an overlook along the western edge of the north rim of the grand canyon. Unlike most areas along the canyon rim access to this area is via a 60+ mile dirt route only and requires a 4wd for the last few miles, or a proper motorcycle (Any decent ADV bike will do). The closest gas station is a about 75 miles so you need 150 mile range minimum just to get there and back. There are actually three routes into the area. I took one to get in and another to get out, more on that later.

The name for the area is "Grand Canyon - Parashant National Monument" There are a few different attractions in the monument area. Toroweap, Vulcans Throne, Mt Trumball, etc). Due to limited desire to get bounced around I just focused on Toroweap.

On to the photos!

Entrance to the Monument
    DSC00318.JPG

Views from various points along the rim. No guard rails out here and some of the overlooks are shear drops. Awesome! :) I either didn't catch any photos of a few rafters going down the Colorado river at the base or the fact that I don't have a tele lens just means the camera didn't pick them up. The were very little yellow dots from my vantage point. If you dig big views up close and personal this place gets my seal of approval. You don't come here for the ride really, you come for the views.
    20201016_145332.jpg 20201016_145715.jpg canyon.jpg full view.jpg

By special request for @Nowwhat
    canyon3.jpg

Likewise, the nights ain't bad for star gazing as long as the wind hasn't thrown to much dust in the air.

Twilight... I set up camp under a large rock overhang that kept me in the shade all day. It was sweet. :)
    DSC00353.JPG

Full dark.
    DSC00370.JPG

And I caught the morning sunrise.
    DSC00393.JPG

It took me a while to loosen up enough to get the bike packed up but I got'r'done. Headed north towards St George with a few hours layover in Huricane to stop by the Urgent care to get some stuff to get my back sorted.

Speaking of the route out.... Going in I was coming from Kanab and took Antelope Valley Rd south from rt 389. That route is just a plainb old ordinary dirt road with a good surface until you get into rocks a bit past the ranger station a couple miles before the campground. (Campground only has 9 spots and one group site BTW but really doesn't need more, LOL)

On the way out I took the route to Colorado City. Like the route in it's just a dirt road however it is a bit tricky in spots with deep sand in some places and in others bull dust, moon dust, silt, whatever it's called it's mostly harmless by itself, it has practically zero mass and you just blow thru it like you would water (meaning there is no staying on top of it, your tires sink till they hit something solid). I hit a couple of deep "pools" of it that were deep enough my boots on the pegs were cutting wakes in the stuff. The section that almost took me out which would have sucked with the way my back is at the moment was a LONG section just as smooth as a babys bottom. The problem was it was hiding a series of hard edged criss-crossed ruts created during some past rain. I don't know how long the bike was trying to swap ends but it felt like a very long tine and I was certain I was going to eat shyt. Bottom line - If you want a relaxing ride on a fully loaded bike then take the route down east of Colorado City.

I'm taking a couple of days to do some work and let the back continue to get better. Will be back on the road and making a run for the left coast Monday or Tuesday. Then head back towards Death Valley for a few days on the 22nd.
  2. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Awesome Toroweap photos James! That's the exact ride I tried to do summer 2019, was just too dang hot and got a gash in my front tire so did not trust it to Toroweap and back, plus like you I found out late you need a permit to camp and there were none so was going to opt for just a day trip to see the rim until I got the gash and flat. And that spot where you powered through the sand on Hog Canyon looks like the same spot where I bailed out, decided if more of the same was in front of me just too risky solo for heat exhaustion.
  3. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Dang. Sorry you weren't abler to make it all the way. They say the route down there is tough on tires and to be prepared to make repairs. A fellow in the campground got a 3/4" steel spike in his tire on the way in so yeah, not running down there on an iffy tire was probably a good call.

My back wishes I had bailed after that Hog Canyon section.
    DCrider likes this.
  4. DCrider

Oddometer:
    The plan was to go back this spring (my bro lives in St. George now, he'd be happy to help if you need anything) until well DAMN Covid! Maybe next year. Hope the back sorts out soon, I get the same sometimes and after 2-3 days if not gone I know I need the steriod shot.
    windblown101 likes this.
  5. Comrade Art

Comrade Art Working stiff

Oddometer:
    Great Toroweap pics :thumb
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  6. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Amazing what these dang cell phone cameras can do these days. (Night shots were made with a high end pocketable camera though)
  7. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Enough convalescing... time to move on.

Heading towards the Ca coast in the morning. One way or another I'm hitting the left coast by Tuesday at the latest.

See... I brought two bottles with me on this trip. One I filled with sand from the outer banks of North Carolina when I started this trip west chasing the sun. The other is still empty. A mans gotta have goals. LOL.

20201018_195424.jpg

There will be plenty of riding to do afterwards. Death Valley is next on the list after the coast, but this much I promised myself. The rest is icing on the cake. :)
  8. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can’t believe you brought those bottles with you....Do you know how much weight you added because of that? :imaposer

Well, at least I’m making myself laugh. I’m Very Happy that you’re having a great trip. Keep the story coming!
    windblown101 likes this.
  9. windblown101

Oddometer:
    On the south side of Las Vegas NV. Got off the interstate to poke around a bit on some of the off pavement tracks I see since its still early. Hard to pass up opportunities to explore a bit when they land in your lap

20201019_093747.jpg .
  10. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you make it to the ocean?
  11. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Not yet... in Barstow at the moment. Dont know that I'll make the ocean today. We'll see.

Ate up a bit more time than I anticipated playing around south of Las Vegas. Damn I have a big load on this bike!

20201019_100712.jpg
  12. ilten

ilten Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    windblown101 likes this.
  13. DCrider

Oddometer:
    JRowland likes this.
  14. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Made it and got to the coast before sunset. Sadly shore fog will make it hard to prove. Now to figure out where I'm sleeping tonight...

20201019_181415.jpg

20201019_181448.jpg
  15. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Darkness fell quickly. Bagged the idea of finding a campsite and splurged on a hotel on the north end of Pismo beach and treating myself to my first sit down meal listening to classic rock with the ocean crashing on the shore for a backdrop. Life is good. At least until I take a peek at my credit card statement.: )

20201019_200740.jpg
  16. ClutchDumpinDan

ClutchDumpinDan Go do

Oddometer:
    Just got caught up, glad to see you made it! Buddy of mine has family in Grants NM that he stays with after we race at Bonneville. He's told me twice to come with him and he'll show me all around. Knows all the good stuff around Mt. Taylor. After seeing your pics, I think I'll be taking him up on his offer next year! Looking forward to the next installment. Keep on keeping on dude :lurk
    windblown101 likes this.
  17. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Zunis and Mt. Taylor both worthy for some ride time. Take your buddy up on his offer for sure. :)
    ClutchDumpinDan likes this.
  18. windblown101

Oddometer:
    CA Coast - Got packed up and left the hotel early in search of an available camping spot. Most everything is either booked up or closed from fires or Covid. However I did find a campground called Cerro Alta that had some First Come First serve sites in the hills east of Morro Bay. This worked out well actually. Even though the campground is at higher altitude than the coast it's warmer and sunny.m Down on the coast which was socked in fog all day and never broke 60 degrees. I found a cherry spot up above and off the camp road with a huge tree for shade. Got set up and headed back down to play tourist on the coastline for several hours. Not a great photo op day but I made the best of it.

tent.jpg

Did I mention the coastal fog that stuck around all day?
    beach1.jpg

bikenbirds.jpg

birdinsun.jpg

rock.jpg

The sea lions seemed to think the cool cloudy weather made for a fine day to do some napping.
    sealiononbeach.jpg

These guys were the only ones I saw not sleeping.
    sealionin water.jpg

A pair of tourist con-men at work.
    hoodlum2.jpg

"Hey Man! Ain't I cute? I can can pose for snacks!" Sorry bud, I don't have any proper food for you.
    hoodlum1.jpg

And so it ends for the day. Back at camp and chillin out. Maybe tomorrow that coastal fog will finally burn off so I can see the sun set over the Pacific before I start heading inland.
  19. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. windblown101

Oddometer:
    I was going to swap my pre filter this morning as I do have a spare with me. However it looks pretty decent yet so I think I'll hold off until I hit Death Valley. Of course I've been riding solo with a lot of pavement miles between the dirty bits but still, happy with how its holding up. I think the side plates I fabbed up have helped.

20201021_090857.jpg 20201021_091610.jpg