Windblown - Chasing the sun

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by windblown101, Sep 22, 2020.

1. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another day of coastal fog. Ah well, guess catching a Pacific Ocean sunset will have to wait for some other time.

So yeah... Left a bright sunny campsite and road down the mountain into the fog.

surfer.jpg

After a meal at Duckies I took a ride back from the coast and got into the hills. (thanks @NSFW )
    hills.jpg

Then decided to ride north to Plaskett on the off chance the fog was not hitting the coast that far north. It was, and I also caught glimpses of the remains of the Dolan fire that recently burned the area.
    plaskett.jpg

Ran into a local rider at an overlook and he suggested I make a run up a particular "Closed" dirt road that ran up the mountain. He said it would get me into the sun with the fogbank laying below like a cloud top. That sounded cool so like this seagull I said shit on it and went.
    seagull.jpg

So thru the widely spaced barricades at the base of the mountain I slipped, couldn't quite make out the warnings posted, something about $1000 dollar fines or some such thing. I'm sure whatever they said were not aimed at me. So up I go on this little dirt fire road that twists and turns and quickly gains altitude without ever leaving the coastline. I come up one last rise and there in front of me was a big overlook facing the ocean just like the rider had told me, but it wasn't empty... Three pickup trucks were parked there with three gentlemen standing outside of them. I pull up and shut off the bike. One of them gives me the stink eye and says "Who are you?" I respond "Me? I'm just passing thru". He quickly responds "You aren't supposed to be here". Well, I couldn't exactly argue that particular point so I shifted gears and we got to chatting about other things besides my presence. I guess I passed muster because within about 5 minutes they were offering me a beer. ;)

It was a cool spot. Photo doesn't capture it well but when looking out the top of the fog bank was dead flat and stretched are far as the eye could see and the sun was shinning down on it brightly.
    above the fog.jpg

With a fond farewell me and the 3 locals parted ways and I returned to the fog and the long ride back south to Morro Beach. That section of Rt1 must be extremely cool when it's clear, great twists and turns and I could occasionally catch a glimpse of the jagged coastline. Tomorrow its pack up and head out. I'll keep a pacific ocean sunset on the bucket list.
  2. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Headed east...

20201022_093359.jpg

20201022_124827.jpg

Saw this sign and calculated I had enough gas plus a little...
    20201022_135929.jpg

Ran Into this several miles later.
    20201022_141843.jpg

Backtracking...
    20201022_145401.jpg
  3. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need to download current map data...

Safe travels.

Current wildfire map in your area:

Screenshot_20201022-195917.png
  4. ghte

ghte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Vicariously enjoying your amazing journey. Stay upright.
    windblown101 and Comrade Arturo like this.
  5. ghte

ghte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't wait for the next installment.
  6. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sucks that you couldn't see the Sequoia's... Great photo's even with the fog and smoke.
  7. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    enjoy DV, great riding inside the National Park, your only limitation is your fuel range.
  8. BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great stuff, thx for sharing.
  9. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Hanging with the California crew in Death Valley. Had a bit of a yardsale into some rocks following a blown front tube. We made lunch stop though.

20201024_143254.jpg
  10. blalor

blalor Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like your helmet did its job!
    windblown101 likes this.
  11. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Indeed. All the gear did what it's supposed to do. Came out of it a bit sore and stiff but relatively unscathed. Bike took a bit of a beating but nothing game stopping
  12. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    glad to hear! stay safe, home is still a long way.

arai helmets are not cheap and in my opinion, are one of the best out there. the uninterrupted surface design will allow it to slide smoothly when it hit the ground and less likely to catch something that will jolt the head.
    windblown101 likes this.
  13. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wait...I thought the 790's were tubeless?
  14. windblown101

Oddometer:
    They are in stock form. I run a tube in the front. It was a hard hit. It took out the Moose HD tube I was running at 36psi cold and split the tire just above the bead. I would have been going nowhere if I had been running tubeless with no spare tube. No way that tire was ever going to hold air again.
    ClutchDumpinDan and ilten like this.
  15. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Leaving Death Valley and on my way to Phoenix today. Sorry for the lack of updates. The plan is to get caught up with things tomorrow. :)

20201025_114814.jpg
  16. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    east of Phoenix, go south on the AZBDR to the start, over to Douglas, follow the border east on the historic Geronimo trail (gravel) through the mountains and crossing into southern New Mexico, up to Animas, then east on 9. follow the border east on pavement, or gravel. you pass the across the CDT start coming up from Antelope Wells. through El Paso, take 90 south, be on the lookout for the ranch road in the Valentine area that will take you south to the Rio Grande border road, east through Candaleria, 170 takes you all the way into Big Bend. 385 takes you back up to 90, not a bad road east to Del Rio. back roads from Del Rio take you NE through Texas hill country, the roads might remind you of WV. you're on your own from there, all the Texas metro areas are nuts traffic wise.

might as well stay south all the way, bad weather on the transit routes farther north. watch that new storm in the gulf too.
    ClutchDumpinDan and windblown101 like this.
  17. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was a pleasure riding with you @windblown101 - I encourage anyone along the return route to catch up with him if you can. :-)
    JRowland and windblown101 like this.
  18. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Thanks @EvilSteve :) Feel free to add that shot of my bald head. Hahaha.

And in case anyone wonders why I opted to dive as far south as Phoenix for a few days.
    Lows - Brrrr...
    lows.PNG

Highs. - Still brrr... But Phoenix will be nice :)
    highs.PNG

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Updates tomorrow.
  19. gaiaRTW

gaiaRTW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great ride report. Per jdrocks suggestion, hug the southern border for the next few days while riding east. Having just checked the temp here in Denver, it reads 9F, with a high of 18F on Monday. TX 170 east to Big Bend is a great ride, very scenic and twisty in parts. You may want to take a short side trip to experience the phenomenon of the Marfa lights. The state (or county) built a large viewing area roadside that has great camping. I've stayed there several times and have had no probs at all.
    windblown101 likes this.
  20. ibebp

ibebp n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Las Cruces NM going to get cold and wet tonight thru Tuesday, get past there today if you can. Great pics, thanks for the ride along.
    windblown101 likes this.