1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Windows 10 and the Old Garmin Roads n Recreation Conflict

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by TRZ Charlie, Sep 6, 2015.

1. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    In addition to current maps I also have been using R&R for many years. I used the trick of copying the entire disc onto my desktop and letting operate from there. Fast forward and I cannot get my pc to even recognize, open or otherwise detect the disc, or the file on my desktop. In fact, I cannot get the disc to even auto start when I put in the drive.

Any sage advise from the old timers here? I really don't want to give up the use of RnR as it has a wealth of info that modern Garmin maps no longer have.
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    windows 10- the beta test of an operating system released to the masses. :(

it might be better to copy the old disk image of that cd from the old computer to the new, than to try futzing around with 10's issues and weird default settings for disk access, autoplay, etc

it should only take 1-2 minutes to copy a 4Gb disk image over wifi.
  3. adaycj

adaycj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can access a command prompt by pressing the windows key and X at the same time (use the administrator one). Use the mountvol command to mount the image (file on your desktop) as a CD drive.

Help for command prompts are everywhere on the net, help for mountvol can be found by typing /? After the mountvol command using the prompt.
  4. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have Win 10. Everything is working well. Mapsource, Basecrap, Street and Trips. All of my SDKs, CAD, etc.
    Do you see the drive in explorer?
    Do you see the files in explorer?
  5. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    The drive is visible as is the disc. The folder on the desktop is visible as are the uploaded files. The computer is the same but I upgraded (?) from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. The file folder stayed on my desktop after the upgrad with the files intact.

When I click on the autorun or the setup menu the spinner starts but never opens the file. Same result when trying to access the disc. However, I can upload the files from the disc to the desktop by doing a simply copy and paste into the file.

Yes I see the files in and drive in files explorer

I would like to try the command prompts but when typing "mountvol" I get the message "no mount points found" so, I am assuming it would have to be typed mountvol/desktop/name of file is that correct?

Edit: When attempting the above in command prompt it states that "R" is not a valid parameter. What do I need here? The name of the file folder is Garmin R&R and it is on my desktop. I really don't know where the designator "R" came from.
  6. adaycj

adaycj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Move the files on your desktop to a traditional file folder like "C:\rr" then mount that. I understood that you ran the files as a CD from your old desktop. If you have not made a mountable image, or your CD does not have one on it you will not be able to mount it as a drive. I apologize if I misunderstood.
  7. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    I don't think you misunderstood. I likely misstated. I am a neophyte at the mountvol thing. I have never had occasion to do this before. I understand the concept but not the correct path to mount the file. As for the image files, the files within the install package appear to be image files. As they end in .img

First how to I move the folder to "C:\rr ? is this done with the mountvol command? What should the command look like? Should it be >mountvol\Garmin R&R\C:\rr ?

I think I understand that C represents the C drive but what is the rr? is this where the file to be mounted will reside?

Sorry for the stupid questions but, I am trying to learn how to do this correctly.

Thanks in advance.
  8. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Use File Explorer (the Manila folder Icon) to manage your files. You can use copy/paste or drag to move.

On your C drive, create a new folder "Garmin" or "RR" (for Roads & Rec). Then copy the entire disc to that folder. Then find the install (.exe) file and install it.
  9. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    TRZ Charlie, you shouldn't have to reinstall RnR if it was installed and the maps were viewable in Mapsource or Basecamp when the computer was 8.1.
    Do you have Mapsource (or Basecamp) on that computer? If so open it and see if the RnR maps show in the drop-down where you select which map to have showing.
  10. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    The name is not actually "Garmin R&R", correct?
    The "&" symbol can not be part of a valid file name.
  11. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Worwig, No, it is Garmin Roads and Recreation. I just typed it as a shortcut here.

250senuf, I had both BC and MS on the computer prior to the upgrade to windows 10 when the upgrade completed I could no longer get the R&R disc to activate. No auto start and can't start it manually. Any other disc I use is no problem. I also had R&R in a file on the desktop and prior to upgrade it showed in my maps utilities window on both BC and MS.

Jerry, I will give that a try. I think I already created that file when I first installed R&R but I'll check to be sure.
  12. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    This is a screenshot of the existing folder that was/is on my computer pre/post update to Windows 10. I can click on the setup file and the spinny thing indicating that my computer is getting read to start the application comes up. Then it just stops without any action. Same result when trying to ope the disc. It all worked before the upgrade. Very confusing. I also checked in device manager and it shows my disc drive as operating normally. I suppose the disc could been corrupted but it worked when I installed the folder below. Logically, it appears (to me) that that the upload to the folder was corrupted.

upload_2015-9-8_10-22-50.png
  13. cyclonus1969

cyclonus1969 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to follow along, I don't know anything about this program, but the file looks like the install program, and not the program itself. The program itself is likely under c:\Program Files, or c:\Program files (x86) folder.

If it has been installed before the upgrade, its still installed after the upgrade. What you need to do is find the actual executible file, right click on it and select Troubleshoot compatibility It will likely take a couple of tries to get it, but it will eventually work with 10.

If you can find the correct folder in the program files search that folder for *.exe Thats probably the file that launches the program, thats the file you want to troubleshoot compatibility.
  14. cyclonus1969

cyclonus1969 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or looking at the creation date on the install files, you could find a packard bell running windows 98, it might work just fine with that :lol3
  15. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I find it strange that in your screenshot some files show the file extension yet others don't. The file "setup" that is highlighted is the one to run to (re)install but should be showing as "setup.exe"

Do you have access to another computer? If so, try your disc of RnR in it. If it does get a USB stick and copy the disc to that. Then copy those files to your "RandR" folder telling the computer to replace the existing files. Then run setup.exe

Good luck
  16. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Charlie, you have a ton of crap in your Documents folder? I would start over and first copy the entire disc into a folder under "Program Files" under "Local Disc (C:)", then install it again.
  17. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    I Finally got my wife's computer to recognize the disc and it will install. So, do I have compatibility issues on my computer? My computer recognizes the disc and lists it in the drive. But it will not auto start or manually start the install process on my computer.
  18. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is normal. By default, Explorer hides recognized extensions. It recognizes EXE as an executable, so it hides it. I never liked that, so I go into the settings and change it to display all extensions. I assume you have also.
  19. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    See if you can UNINSTALL RnR that is loaded now. Then redo the RnR setup to see if it takes.
  20. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never realized there was an in-between, I thought it was show all or none. Thanks.