1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Windows 10 and the Old Garmin Roads n Recreation Conflict

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by TRZ Charlie, Sep 6, 2015.

1. cyclonus1969

cyclonus1969 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is your wifes computer also running windows 10?
  2. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    My hidden folders were always shown. I downloaded the disc to a thumb drive on my wife's computer.

I then deleted all instances or R&R from my computer, reinstalled a new folder named RandR in program files and did a copy and past from the thumb drive. As before I can see the .exe setup file in the newly installed folder in program files. I can click on it, the spinner shows and spins for a few seconds, disappears and nothing opens or installs.

3. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Yes, it is also running Windows 10
  4. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try right-clicking "setup.exe" and select "run as administrator", if that option is still in Windows 10.
    I'm holding at Win8.1 for the foreseeable future or longer.

You could also try rolling the computer back to windows 8.1 unless the Windows.old folder has already been deleted. I haven't done a roll-back, just know of the option. Some googling may be required.
  5. cyclonus1969

Oddometer:
    I run 3 windows 10 computers, 2 run flawlessly one is a little weird. The one that runs the worst is the newest and most beefy computer of the bunch.

So.... if it Runs on your wife's computer and not on yours, I agree with 250senuf, that you have a rights issue on your computer, and for some reason you lack the privileges to run the program. If running as administrator doesn't work, you could consider activating the hidden administrator account and installing as the local administrator. Instructions for doing that are here:
    http://www.ghacks.net/2014/11/12/how-to-enable-the-hidden-windows-10-administrator-account/

What I am hearing is that most of the issues with Windows 10 have to do with the upgrade. and that fresh installs are close to flawless. I know that's not practical, in most cases to wipe and start over.
  6. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    cyclonus, you are right about permissions. In command prompt I followed the instruction and this is what I see:

command prompt.JPG

When I try to activate the admin acct. in step three I don't get the context menu. There is nothing in the context menu that would allow me to choose run as administrator.

Running the command: net user administrator yields this:

net user administrato.JPG

It appears there was a password set for administrator at some point. I sure don't remember doing that. Where do I go from here?
  7. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try pressing the Windows-key. Then All Apps. Then Windows System (near the bottom of the list). Then Right-click command prompt per step 3, etc.
    If there is no "Run as administrator" in that list, then you may have multiple logins.
  8. cyclonus1969

Oddometer:
    Although I have never used it for windows 10 I know there are several password blanking programs That at least I know works with windows 7. You can google the ultimate boot CD or early versions of Hiren's tools. These are image files that can be burned to CD and used to boot your computer. password recovery is one of the many tools. The software is free to download from the internet. http://www.hirensbootcd.org/resetting-windows-password/

What might be an easier option is to claim ownership of the RandR folder

From the file explorer right click on the directory and click properties, under the security tab there is an advanced button. The advanced option will show the current owner of the directory. There should be a tab that says owner, and it gives you the ability to select yourself as the owner. Then check the box that say Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable entries from this object, the press apply.

Close out all of the property screens and try to run the setup as administrator again. If that does work thats when I would start building the password reset CD's
  9. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    worwig, Finally! Thank you. That worked, I was able to successfully access the "Run as administrator." I was able to install the R&R software but somehow, now both basecamp and mapsource have disappeared as shortcuts, investigating now.

Edit: Mapsource is completely missing not listed as an app now. Basecamp is still on my computer but doesn't display R&R in the maps window.

Edit: Basecamp still resides on my computer. The maps window does not show any of the maps that were supposedly installed when I ran R&R. Mapsource is completely gone now. This is weird. I have been dealing with these programs for a long time now and never had this happen. Anyway, I had to reload Mapsource and Basecamp and I have now been able to successfully load the program from the disc and the disc drive. Now the maps reside in my maps list.

Thank ALL of you for your suggestions and patience. This was a permissions issue and it took greater minds than mine to figure this out. You guys ROCK! Thanks
  10. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Other than the lack of USB, I miss Windows95B. ;)

Despite Windows going ahead with the upgrade to Win10 on TRZ's computer I think that computer might not be quite compatible with Win10. I've had Windows Update install an update that almost bricked this netbook. I managed to save it, hid the offending update only to have WinUpdate try to foist the same update on this netbook again.

The RnR disc installs a very early version of Mapsource. No doubt the version TRZ had pre update to Win 10 was newer. The re-install of the very early version messed things up.
  11. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    New Computers and especially new operating systems come straight from HELL!
  12. cyclonus1969

Oddometer:
    New Computers and new operating systems keep me fed as an IT professional. If they were perfect I wouldn't be needed. I need the money so I can ride motorcycles.

TRZ Charlie, I'm glad you got it working.
  13. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have no plans to upgrade to Windows 10 for at least 6-10 months until it gets stable. But I learned a lot of good stuff reading this thread. So thanks for all the little secrets.

For the OP missing his programs. I assume that even in Windows 10 the executables are in C:\ProgramFiles somewhere under the program name. You can use search to look for them.

The correct executable will have an icon next to it that looks like the one on the taskbar. I usually try double clicking the executable to see if it is the one I want. Once the program is running you can right click its icon on the taskbar and select pin to taskbar. And I always create a shortcut and move the shortcut to my desktop.

But even though I have Windows 8, I still use the old Windows 7 desktop. All this might be gone in Windows 10 for all I know.

On my computer the Basecamp and Mapsource executable is here:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\BaseCamp.exe"

C:\Garmin\MapSource.exe
  14. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've found Win 10 very stable IF you install it over a 'clean' machine. If you upgrade a machine that has some garbage on it that may already be unstable, it can easily have issues. Like anything, you want a strong foundation to build on.

Yes, Win 10 file structure is the same.
  15. cyclonus1969

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I love windows 10, There were issues with drivers that were no big deal to me, but I could see where it would be a huge hassle to most computer users. I loaded a fresh clean install on my sons computer that's close to 10 years old, and that fresh install purrs like a kitten and makes that old computer hum along, The windows 7 load that was on it before was a muddle mess after years of abuse playing minecraft and Gary's Mod, whatever the heck that is. The biggest issue that was consistent with all my upgrades was the Nvidia drivers absolutely have to be updated. The 8.1 versions of Nvidia don't work well with 10.
  16. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Other than my glitch with permissions I really like Windows 10. wbbnm indicated where to find my programs within the file structure. When I first found them missing I immediately looked under program files. They truly went missing, they weren't there. It was very odd indeed. But, no worries everything is working now.