Windscreen extention KTM 950 part 2

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by zeph, Apr 29, 2004.

1. zeph

zeph Zeph

Oddometer:
    Here's a view from the drivers seat.

Attached Files:

2. rcniss

rcniss Not that way!!

Oddometer:
    Nice work Zeph :thumb

Looks like it would come off pretty easy too. . . for all that hard off
    road stuff :evil
  3. lddave

lddave been there Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks great, that is an extension that I would put on my 950 .

Dave Bankhead
    Katy,Texas
    IBA 184
  4. Renegade6

Renegade6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks great. How does it work and how did you make it?
  5. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    Good work mate! Looks like the Vario screen design, I'm sure it will work just fine. :thumb
  6. PeeBee

PeeBee Giant leap for me!

Oddometer:
    Please tell me that production is about to start in China, 'cause I have that permanent whistle tone in my ears. No? Not even one?
  7. zeph

zeph Zeph

Oddometer:
    I'm a beginner at this posting lark so it took 3 posts to get the pictures on line. Sorry about that.
    The screen is 3mm perspex. I made a pattern of the top half of the original and marked the vertical centre line. That's used to make a shape with curves similar to the original. The sizes for the screen are 200mm deep at the centre, 50mm wider at the edges and 70mm higher than the original screen.
    When you make the pattern you have to allow for the bars on full lock.
    Once the pattern is made cut it vertically in half and only use one half for the final mark out on the perspex. Lay it on the plastic and stick it with a couple of pieces of tape so you can flip it over and mark out the other half. This method ensures you get a symetrical screen. Perspex always comes with a paper covering. Don't remove it till your ready to drill the holes.
    Cut out the plastic with a fine tooth jig saw. Cutting tip. Lay the perspex on a 60mm thick piece of polystyrene and cut on that. It' s fully suported and it won't break!!
    Sand the edges and remove any cutting "wriggles" using a coarse glass sand paper and a sanding block. Finish with fine paper.
    Mark on your paper covered perspex the two bending lines which I just copied off the original screen.
    Boil water in a flat pan on the stove (keep it going throughout operation)
    and lay the plasic in the boiling water for at least a minute.Take it out and bend immediately. It's hard work to bend. Keep the pressure on and try cooling under a cold tap while holding the bend. Took me 3 or 4 goes to get the bends the same and as far as was needed.
    Check it's the right shape.
    Fixings use the top windscreen fastener but with a longer bolt and 60mm above that is where I drilled into the original screen to give two fasteners on each side. The spacers are rubber tap washers and I used joinery capped washers to hide the screw heads and nuts. The screen ends up spaced off the original by about 10 to 15mm.
    The screen is a big improvement on the original with no bugs on the visor and a lot less wind noise, and yes it is quick to unbolt for serious off road rides.
    Hope that lot helps.It took mornings playing aroung to complete.
    PS: I'm 5ft 10.
  8. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe

A heat gun for stripping paint works real well for heating as well..just don;t get too close, too long or it will buble..
  9. Wayne Weber

Wayne Weber why are we stopping?

Oddometer:
    Any one been tagged on the chin by a windsheild extension in whoops?

The stock fairing seems close sometimes for me. Just askin'
  10. woodsrider

woodsrider .........................

Oddometer:
    Wayne, if you practice real hard, you'll be able to just skim the tops! :eek1

Who am I foolin' -- I'm still on my 950 training wheels...
  11. worm~hole1

worm~hole1 I'm mentally mortarded.

Oddometer:
    Has anyone ridden the 950 WITHOUT its windscreen? I imagine that for those who are six-foot plus, the flow would hit the chest and be 'quieter' around the helmet....easier on the freeway. Anyone confirm this?
  12. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have ordered a second windscreen which i am going to lope off about 4-6 inches and see what happens. Will post if successful.
  13. PeeBee

PeeBee Giant leap for me!

Oddometer:
    Yep, I'm your demographic: 6'4'', and I did not buy the 950 at first 'cause the turbulence was too deafening to bear.

After a bike that had so many bad qualities that the 950 wind screen sounded like no issue at all, I got myself my 3rd KTM, a 950S.

First of all: I have a system helmet by Schuberth, because I wear glasses and I can get this helmet on and off without worrying about the glasses. I know a helmet that does not fold will be quieter.

In standard trim the 950 was deafening allright. Tried to stand up and see at what height the noise was getting bearable. I cut the standard screen by that amount (8 cm/3+something inch).

Looked OK, but I had to really stretch my back to have the helmet 'above' the turbulence.

So I took the whole screen off: with a nude front it takes a lot of effort to drive at 90+ mph, because your wind protection is almost entirely gone, and you're sort of imitating a flag hanging from the handlebars. The turbulence is gone too though, great!

Pity: it looks awful / silly / decapitated / ... fill in the blanks.

So now I have mounted the part that I took off (the 8 cm) horizontally onto the remainder of the screen and that lowered the spot where the turbulence hits my helmet by some 3 inches, so it's somewhere around throat level now.

It looks 'remarkable', but it works. Hope I can get a picture up tomorrow. (have had some bad luck with the digital camera)
  14. stu harris

stu harris n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi , new to forum but have lurked on here for a little while. 950 is only a few weeks old but I suffered from the 'turbulent head' syndrome , so much so that in std trim I can't wear a Tour X lid.

Took the screen right off and the bike is a riot , just like a big version of my KTM660. So I've played with screen height and finally chopped off about 4 inches. Result: wind hits at chest and you have to hang on a bit at 90mph + but turbulent free!!

Stu

Attached Files:

15. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    I have no problem with the stock screen I guess its because I'm tall 6'6" and I also use an Airhawk/sheepskin on the seat that raises the seat height by over and inch this plus my height must raise me to the same exposure that you get by cutting the screen
  16. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    How tall are you?
  17. stu harris

stu harris n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm 6ft .

Stu
  18. Clayman

Clayman 2004 KTM 950

Oddometer:
    I feel like I've been here before. I'm 6'4" and the buffeting was killing the joy of blasting about on the 950. I first tried the SAENG stealth edgeing, and after some experimentation I really could not discern any difference. I spent one night running with no screen, and the buffeting I previously had at 47 mph went away. I then got another stock screen and had it cut once at 2.5" and then again for an additional 3". It looks kind of butch, but it does help significantly. Cross-winds are still an issue and the body blast at high speeds does make for some weariness.

I'd like to hear how well the Touratech clamp-on wing works. There's also that Laminar Lip device that has had only scant mention on this board. My tinitus is driving me to explore more noise reducing techniques like custom ear plugs and helmet accessories that cut noise. Anyone having any success?
  19. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    I have a Laminar lip but I have yet to mount it I had one on my Multistrada and it blew off The problem was it was just the right height that I hit it with my shoulder when I got on the bike and that would knock the Velcro loose The time it flew of I neglected to push it back on I will report on the 950 as soon as I put it on
  20. Trione

Trione n00b

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried the clip-on extension listed in the Touratech site? It looks like it is an easy on-off affair and adjustable.