Windscreen for a Troubled Neck

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by thursdasy, Apr 30, 2013.

1. thursdasy

thursdasy n00b

Oddometer:
    So with the stock windscreen on my 2013 F800GS I get a lot of pressure on my helmet from the wind which destroys my neck. Anyone else with a _weak_ neck that can recommend a windscreen that eliminates most if not all wind from helmet/chest. I've tried the VStream windscreen but I still get buffeting on the top of my helmet.

So far I've come across these windscreens:
    Deiserto III
    http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/336/Desierto-III
    Vario Touring Windscreen
    http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/F800GS/8110157.html
    AeroScreen
    http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/F650_800_GS/F650GS_F800GS_Touring.htm
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've used the Aeroflow screen and it's simply prefect.. no buffeting or wind noise.
  3. jengel451

jengel451 1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer:
    You have to match the design to your height a bit I've found on other bikes.

One that works for someone that is 5'2 won't work for me. 6'4

Just looked at that Aeroflow site, they have it spelled out.

My big thing is not having a lexan blade trying to take my head off if i'm in the rough stuff. push comes to shove I may have to pull the trigger on one of thos spendy slidey up and downy thingy's. or maybe try a clip on lip.
  4. thursdasy

thursdasy n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks like AeroFlow won't have any windscreens for the 2013 GS until Fall. :cry
  5. Dieselpwr

Dieselpwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Too bad its so darn ugly..

Alot of people like the Brittania Mirage2. Its like the TT Desierto, but a few $ cheaper
  6. 8thdwarf

8thdwarf perfect,just perfect

Oddometer:
    mirage 2 ... Canadian company. threw my original windscreen away soon after buying the bike and installing one made by these guys

http://www.britanniacomposites.com/index.php/products/mirage214

couldn't be happier .... that was two years ago and approx. 18k miles...

mine is just one of the many opinions you will get. :D
  7. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
  8. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you buy electric powered adjustable screens ? I think these would be very helpful Offroad so that you can lower it so it doesn't take your head off
  9. iJabberwocky

iJabberwocky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also have a bad neck on my 2012 F800GS. I first got the Touratech spoiler and used it on my stock windshield for about 4 months. It wasn't quite good enough so I said what the hell and bought the Touratech windscreen and also have the spoiler attached to it. I love it! It looks good, it works with my handguards and keeps almost all the wind out now. Excellent screen, it works for me.
  10. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Britannia Composites Mirage 2...especially with the "slidey upy downy screen for off-road. Goes up high for taller folks too.

[​IMG]

You also get a place to mount your GPS up high so you can see it better sitting or standing and space to mount other gizmos/flashing lights. That's the part the really expensive one forgot.

Oh yah...and the fairing is tough!

Dave
  11. JGoody

JGoody Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't have one but Madstad has been mentioned favorably in several posts. It is adjustable and various height screens are available. Not sure if they have one to fit the 2013 yet. Might be worth a call. Less pricey than some that have been mentioned.
  12. Skoots

Skoots Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the Madstad for my 13F800gs. It works good. No complaints.
  13. doc3toes

doc3toes n00b

Oddometer:
    Nanaimo BC Canada, nearest dealer Victoria
    which size did you get? i have the medium and i am still getting a bit of a thrashing. 5'10" tall around 32" inseam on a corbin dual. I tried a Vstream the other day. almost identical flow. I also noticed following cars it is much worse, in 'clean air' it is better. I would still like to try a britannia. but will continue to tweak the aeroflow for now. it does have excellent weather protection, which i like for the wet weather riding which seems to be mysteriously synced to my vacation days.
  14. jengel451

jengel451 1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer:
    hmm, that slidey up and downy thingy looks pretty kewl. I may have to do some lookey loo'ing at it.
  15. thursdasy

thursdasy n00b

Oddometer:
    Wanted to report back with what I purchased. I got a Mirage 2 from: http://www.britanniacomposites.com/ . This windscreen does a great job at cutting down all the buffeting (I have the windscreen all the way up). There is a little wind at the top of my helmet but nothing too strong. The entire design is really solid and there is no vibrating at high speeds. Also really like the carbon finish. I would recommend it, defiantly worth the additional $20.
  16. mirtna

mirtna Magrambalgue

Oddometer:
    There is also the Givi Airflow AF330 Windscreen. I haven't tried any of them. But, I am also tired of the buffeting from the stock GS screen.
  17. shashankmittal

shashankmittal Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. Mollygrubber

Mollygrubber Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer:
    Really, hey? First person I've heard of that didn't love the Mirage II. I've had one for a couple of years and 25 or 30 thousand km, I think it works great. Another vote. And FWIW, the Desierto is not "a few dollars more" :deal
  19. shashankmittal

shashankmittal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't justify the price of Desierto at $900 shipped. Its a ridiculously priced piece of plastic IMO. Still looking for a solution though, the biggest problem I face every time I try a screen is that most manufacturers don't accept returns (Britannia Composites is an exception).
  20. OlyRider

OlyRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the Desierto.

Bought it used for $400.00. I'm 6'3". The screen doesn't offer any protection for me. Nothing more than an expensive piece of jewelry, IMHO. Good looking, but doesn't really "do" anything.