Windscreen solution for tall people. Share yours

Discussion in 'Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much HP' started by JasonK94Z, Mar 22, 2018.

1. JasonK94Z

JasonK94Z Crash Tester

Oddometer:
    This 1190 S I bought gas some sort of taller screen from acerbis. The buffeting from it sucks, and I’m in the middle of a long trip. When I get home, that piece of junk is going in the garbage. Buffeting, the v cuts on the sides cause wind to nail my shoulders pretty damn hard too.

I’ll be looking for a better solution. If you’ve found good winndscreens, tell me about it.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. PaveMint

PaveMint precious bodily fluids

Oddometer:
    You didn't say how tall.

My personal experience: None of the tall screens work. All they do is force air directly into the path of the helmet, which causes noise and buffeting. if you want to sit behind clean air, you need a barn door.

What works for me is a short screen. Clean air on the helmet, some protection on my torso.

Of course, my experience only.

IMG_0177.jpg

Good Luck.
    Raylon, BadOldBear, cookieGB and 5 others like this.
  3. AK2ID

AK2ID Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check out California Scientific (Calsci). I have a 1290 SAT and the stock screen was OK but had buffeting at highway speeds. I purchased a CalSci screen for a recent spring ride in New Mexico and it is much better. The screens are very smoothly curved without any creases or ridges so when you do glance through the view has minimal distortion. They are easy to install and the material can be cut if you want to and can be polished to remove any scratches you might get. Their web site has good info and a sizing chart to get the screen size for your bike that fits your height. If you call them they are very helpful. They want their product to work as well as possible.

Good luck.
    ScooterNoMore and Wynnded like this.
  4. MN rider

MN rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the same bike and run a nation cycle vstream #n20801 16.25" windscreen. There is still turbulence but not too bad for me. Only issue with the screen is the headlight reflects off the bottom screen just over the headlight and it's annoying.

Attached Files:

owo1owo2 likes this.
  5. PNWEric

PNWEric Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went through that with my '08 DL1000. I bought a Moose Racing +3", then I went to a shorter than stock, then I bought a Shuberth helmet (reviews say it's the quietest) and nothing worked. I could hardly hear my music and forget about taking a phone call. I read a review of a Madstad adjustable windshield and pulled the plug. After a very short time of adjusting, the wind noise was cut dramatically. I just bought a '17 1090R and am having the same issues. I think I'm going to buy another Madstad. It may not be the sexiest look ever but they work. When I ride trails, I'll put the stock one on I guess.
    KMC1 likes this.
  6. JasonK94Z

JasonK94Z Crash Tester

Oddometer:
    I’m 6’4” I looked at the national cycle screen online recently. Heard good things.
    I forgot about madstadt.

A lot of screens are fugly.

I’m afraid PaveMint is right. Short screen for clean air on the helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. Wookee

Wookee Y! bike is all tall

Oddometer:
    What is this short clear screen?

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
  8. nostatic

nostatic i drank what?!? - Socrates Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a CalSci on my GS. For the life of me, I don't understand all the creases that screen makers use other than looks. At 6'1", I find shorter screens often are better, at least the stream of air hitting my helmet is fairly clean and not that loud. Running screens higher has been louder on the last 5 bikes I've owned.

The screen on my Multi is a smooth curve and gives a smooth airflow. The screen on the SA-S is...not...and does not. I've had worse so I haven't swapped it, and I wear ear plugs all the time anyway.
    drumdog and ScooterNoMore like this.
  9. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take the screen off. You won't believe how nice it is. And how ugly the bike is.
  10. EkrebDK

EkrebDK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1290 SA-S and 6’4”: OEM screen plus MRA Xcreen works well for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    rdeining and SURFINASPHALT like this.
  11. Wodger63

Wodger63 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind that the OEM mirror can cause buffeting.
    SURFINASPHALT likes this.
  12. djash40

djash40 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use a tall Calsci screen as well. I did however kick the bottom out some with shims to tilt it back a bit and the wind shoots over my head. No buffeting and I can see over it.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using Tapatalk
    ScooterNoMore likes this.
  13. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'5" and for me its all or nothing with a shield. I made a barn door and get no buffeting at all. clean ,quiet air only. no problem with stock mirrors. The plan is to take it off in summer on hot days. Just get clean air. That said, the "no shield" would be for shorter local rides, as long trips on the slab I would want wind protection no matter the temp I think. I wont say it does anything for the looks of the bike, but I bought this bike more for function than looks. I dont think the SA_T will ever be in the Guggenheim.:lol3 ....Oh, and yeah I mostly look through it. Which doesnt bother me. And I can straighten up and look over it in the rain if need be. 20171202_103813.jpg 20171202_103824.jpg
  14. rick danger

Oddometer:
    For those that like to experiment. Plexi glass (acrylic) seems to bend nicely at around 300 degrees F. I took aq piece of sheet metel and bent it by running three pieces of wire across from one side to the other. then a $20 piece of 3/16" Or 1/4" from lowes. Kind of balanced it on the bent sheet metal and put it in the barbecue with an oven thermometer. When it was about half sagging down I took it out with oven mitts and bent it by hand the rest of the way. It cools qickly. Then covered it with blue painters tape and traced out a pattern similar to the Madstad design. I folded the pattern paper in half and swapped it side to side to get it symetrical on both sides. Traced it and cut it with special jig saw blades made by bosch. After it was cut I smoothed the edges with a palm sander. 120 grit then 220. You could keep going finer if you like. I cut the holes with a brad point bit. halfway through from one side ,then fifshed from the other. They make special bits for plexi, but I didnt have them. I made stand offs to mount it with 3/4" aluminum rod.....anyway, cheap enough experiment if it doesnt work out. paid off for me. I'm happy with it. 20171129_145908.jpg 20171129_160257.jpg 20171201_094741.jpg
    fujione, WAGmore01, KaNi and 9 others like this.
  15. Tarmac Kid

Tarmac Kid Doesn't Like Stuff

Oddometer:
    Just because we are tall doesn't mean we need a big screen. The smoked R screen on the S is a good fit for me. Blocks some wind blast (not all but we are riding motorcycles so...) and doesn't push my helmet around. Smooth air from the shoulders on up. Cheap too.
    Doktor and godzuki like this.
  16. rick danger

Oddometer:
    I like riding with my face shield up. Gives more of an "outside" feel. And more of the smells of summer. (mostly good:lol3) Also, every once in a while I give a home to a wasp or bee that wants to live between my check pad and my face. It's more pleasant riding that way with blocked air.
    KMC1 and ScooterNoMore like this.
  17. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    I put an MRA X-Creen spoiler on top of my 1290SA screen and it works excellent for me. It's oriented so that it essentially extends the upper lip by another 2". I'm 6'1" and ride with the seat in the high position, and with this setup I can ride with my visor open at 75mph.
    rdeining and SURFINASPHALT like this.
  18. ACIJETER

ACIJETER 2018 KTM 1290 Super Adventure “S”

Oddometer:
    I’m very happy with my taller GIVI. I’m 6.4 and now have the adjustability I need. It’s about 6 inches taller than the stock windscreen.
    E8E06BF6-9E81-4BE8-8D3F-5B40867C7C00.jpeg
    Bartimus and JasonK94Z like this.
  19. rick danger

Oddometer:
    So envious of having the PCH in your back yard when I havent been able to ride in three and a half months:vardy:dirtdog
    lukeinlondon and ACIJETER like this.
  20. caliform

caliform Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the stock windscreen and find it absolutely insufferable on the 1190R. More buffeting and wind noise than I've ever had on any bike, honestly. Never found it quite necessary to have earplugs, but it's deafening and annoying. Going to tear it off.