Windscreen

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by RangerJoe, Mar 26, 2014.

1. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an F700GS and want to upgrade the windscreen. the stock one doesn't do a whole lot for me and with the amount of miles I log, I'm getting beat up pretty bad.

I have narrowed it down to a CeeBaily's 16" windscreen or an F800 GSA windscreen. I'm about 5'6" so I think the 16" CB will fit perfect... but I love the way the GSA screen looks. I also want the additional support bracket so I can mount a GPS to it.

I'm on the fence, can I get some opinions on these 2 screens?

The GSA screen and support are pretty spendy but I have a line on a used one I can get for about the same price.
  2. Heifer

Heifer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Madstat windscreen works for me. The 18" version will most likely suit you.
  3. Morro

Morro like a ship in the night

Oddometer:
  4. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought 4 windshields before I bought the Madstat. It adjust up and down for more or less protection and is really quiet. It can't be beat.
  5. oliverw

oliverw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another vote for Madstat.
  6. Wrex04

Wrex04 Adv Noob/Riding Pro

Oddometer:
    I was going through the same exact thing on my 700. I just bought the Puig for my 700 and for the 130 shipped from revzilla, plus I had it in my hands in 2 days, I'm extremely happy with it. It flairs out at the very bottom to give a little more coverage as well. I will admit I really wanted the 800 adventure screen as well :D
  7. IckyBob

IckyBob BroManiac

Oddometer:
    Britannia composites mirage 2. Brilliant piece of kit.
  8. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ya, all nice windscreens, still kinda leaning towards the GSA and the CeeBailies. Thanks for the input though.
  9. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    Before you wrap yourself around the axle of ever increasing swept area windscreen trials... TRY riding a short distance with the windscreen REMOVED.
    You may find the complete lack of turbulence, buffeting, and noise more to your liking, indicating that a minimal, or cut down stock screen to be a cheap and suitable solution.
  10. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    will have to give it a shot this weekend. love to ride with sunglasses and my shield up. Down here in South Florida, the bugs are horrible. Homer, Alaska? I can imagine you know what I'm talking about. I spent 6 years in Fairbanks. Nasty bugs.
  11. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:

Cee Baily for me Works Great!
    <script charset="UTF-8" src="chrome://hdv/content/hdv.js" type="application/javascript"></script>
  12. OKstripe

OKstripe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good advice.

You can read about windscreens for days on old posts here, and/or spend a small fortune yourself testing all kinds.

I tried the windscreen REMOVED once on FredRydr's recommendation. Yep. Quietest, smoothest ride of all. Now I mostly sport a cut down screen just to protect the instruments. However, does not solve all life's little problems like cold, rain, clouds of bugs, all day at highway speeds, etc.

On the other hand - many GS riders thrive on precisely these factors. You know who you are...
  13. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    +1
    I have feed my stock screen thru the bandsaw to that it comes up just enough to keep bugs off the instrument panel. That combined with a a quiet helmet (Shoei Quest) works well ...

Admittedly I don't have to deal with extreme cold or bugs......... :D
  14. runnin4melife

runnin4melife Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a calsci and I like it a lot! Good screen!
  15. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the advice guys. Yes, I agree, there are days and days worth of windscreen posts! I was specifically looking for how the ceebailys stacks up to the GSA screen and so far, there wasn't a post like that.

I decided to pull the trigger on a 16" cee bailey screen. I think I'll be happy with it. Love to be out in the elements, love the wind, etc... Looking to do some longer rides and would like a little protection.

Thanks again for te help
  16. BlueRidgeKat

BlueRidgeKat Daily Commuter

Oddometer:
    This is nice.
  17. Mollygrubber

Mollygrubber Eschew obfuscation

Oddometer:
    +2. Tried others, decided on this. Has had a home on my 800 for a couple of years.
  18. imastarman

imastarman n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey, just picked up my 14 f7gs yesterday. I added a TT screen…just took the bike out for 50 mi ride in PacNW…light wind - highway at 75 was perfect with no buffeting. 5'10.
  19. firebolter

firebolter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seems like an oil thread? Everyone has an opinion and it differs. I like the CalSci shortie screen over my stock 14 GSA screen. About 2 inches taller and works great with no buffeting.
  20. castroses

castroses Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought the CeeBaileys for the 800GS - worst farkle, nay worst object, I've ever bought in my life!

Reproduce the effect by gaffer-taping two electric drills to your helmet and switching them on every time you ride!

Pish!