Winnipeg: 1991 BMW R100GS bad starter

Discussion in 'Canada' started by maplebar, Jun 24, 2006.

1. maplebar

maplebar soft, doughy, sweet

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    It appears my starter is out, I'm in Winnipeg at a hostel. Rolling on a 1991 BMW R100GS from San Francisco, hoping to get through Ontario and Quebec. Anybody know someone who wrenches on BMWs around here?

Just a clicking sound coming from the starter. Against my gut feeling, I tried jump-starting it with a car and immediately regretted it..It didn't work, so I roll-started it and now it is idling high and the battery warning light comes on about 1.5K RPM.

I am going to take the starter out and see what I can do with it..never looked at one before, I don't know how much of it is accessible. Besides banging on it lightly with a wrench, and cleaning the contacts with emorycloth or somesuch, anybody have any advice?

Wondering if I should take the battery out and charge it up overnight, will that get it back to normal?

Please respond here or with a PM or call my hostel and leave me a message: 204.772.1272

Thanks a lot for any help you can offer.
    Kevin
  2. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    So you have two totally different things going on there. Why do you think it's the starter if the battery light is acting funny? It sounds like it could just as likely be a failed charging system or bad battery. Are you absolutely positive the jumper cables were adequately connected? If I had to bet money I'd say you have a bad battery which may or may not have been caused by a charging failure. The starter is possible but not nearly as likely as the other two.

Don't just start tearing into things and tapping things with hammers--especially that starter. If I'm not mistaken, the magnets are glued to the housing in that starter and a hammer is just going to ensure that it's ruined--even if there's nothing wrong with it now.

I don't have much advice for you based on the information given but you need to get it to a BMW shop of any kind and have them look at it. This is the BMW shop in Winnepeg:

http://www.wildwoodsports.com/
    1143 Pembina Highway, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 2A3
    (204) 477-1701
  3. maplebar

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice, I haven't torn anything out or hit anything with a hammer..just reading old postings and such.

4. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Are you sure that your alternator belt hasn't shit itself? Believe it to be a common problem on boxers, and you can get one for a car from Canadian Tire, which is open on sundays, too.
  5. maplebar

Oddometer:
    As Lisa Duke once told me, check the easy stuff first!
    It was a faulty connection, the connectorator on the starter cable had broken off. After a quick trip to Canadian Tire, the bike seems to be idling fine now too. Problems solved.

Thanks to those of you who wrete lengthy answers to my queries in the Great White North and the Old School Forums. I wanted a lot of information before I went ahead and took the starter out etc..it was all moot, but I still learned a lot!

Peace
    MB
  6. Ngorongoro

Ngorongoro boon

Oddometer:
    Are you still in Winnipeg?

If you still need the BMW dealer's assistance, I know them.

PM me.
  7. Ngorongoro

Ngorongoro boon

Oddometer:
    PS - i just saw where you are staying - be careful if you are out on the streets.
  8. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    No way. The water pump would fail long before the alternator belt. :deal
  9. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    MapleBar: I was out of town for a while, just got your PM.

I imagine you've already been through here, since I'm only about three hours east of Winnipeg.

EDIT: Oddly enough, I was in Winnipeg those same days!