Winter Commute

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by triman11427, Dec 7, 2018.

1. spoon

spoon Rubber's gone!

Oddometer:
    The whole winter riding thing breaks down to wind control. Keep the wind out, add some insulation and your good.
  2. Balootraveler

Balootraveler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2nd wind proof. I ride in cold temps with a heated vest, heated grips or gloves, depends on the bike and hand guards. Wear the vest over a light shirt then a rainproof riding coat( Old Feildsheer) or Olympia(newer coat). I manage a 30 mile each way down to single digits, it is the snow/ice that makes me drive:(. On another note we have had ridiculously warm weather for Idaho....can't be climate change:jkam
  3. SmithSwede

SmithSwede Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with all the tips given above. Especially about keeping the electric heated gear snug against your skin.

The big one for me is a pair of skin tight Moreno wool base layers. Torso and pants. This Is a HUGE improvement. Easy to take on and off at work.
  4. Tor

Tor Imported Norwegian

Oddometer:
    Klim Agressor 2 > Warm n Safe heated gear (jacket and pants) >Klim Badlands. Bring work clothes in pannier bag. Locking the door, and changing in my office. Same procedure in the afternoon.
  5. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Roadcrafter, period. It was invented for commuting. If you have a little patience you can pick one up in our classifieds for 3-400 bucks. Heated gear under a really ugly onsie is pure bliss.

Hot tip, buy one size bigger than you think you need. That way in winter you can layer as needed and in warm weather air circulates really well providing much better ventilation.
    L21 and TonyKZ1 like this.
  6. liberpolly

liberpolly Nu, shoyn, nudnick!

Oddometer:
    Rode bicycle today after the thaw, and got reminded that the biggest obstacle in winter is all the damn potholes that appear after the snow. Goddamit almost went down thrice!