Winter Glove Recommendations

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by stevenknapp, Nov 20, 2001.

1. stevenknapp

stevenknapp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alright, my POS winter gloves are too small, they always have been, always will be. When I extend my thumb to hit the switchgear the arc between my pointy finger and thumb is longer than the glove allows. They are some Joe Rocket type and other than the size issue they have worked well. Warm enough...not waterproof.

So I'd like to buy new ones that cost around $60 and don't suck. Before I hit the local shop and find the usual crap I'd like to get some input. Thoughts? These ones on Ebay looked good, waterproof to boot.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=156&highlight=winter+gloves

I've got the heated grips, but don't like to rely on them too much.

Any help welcome.
    Steve
  2. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    At the Int. Cycle show a couple years ago I got a set of bellstaff gauntlets. 50 bones and they have worked well for the last couple years. I have big hands and the finger tips on all leather gloves have always ended up not lasting as the insulation sompresses and I end up with cold digits. This year I got some snomobiling gloves for 20 made by Moose called Arctiva gloves.
    I can't say I would feel safe crashing in them, but they are warm and keep my hands dry. I'm going to go the the surplus place for a new set of boots next week and I'll get a monster sized set of black leather navy deck hand gloves for the road rash barrier.
  3. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Steven. Lesson#1 of buying gear. Don't buy gear that doesn't fit. :huh

Well, big spender, I don't think you can buy good winter gloves for $60 unless you go to HD. And I'm not even sure they don't suck.

Heated grips are the shit, mang. But you need gloves that are thin in the palms to get full benefit. I recommend a good pair of Held gloves, and since you live in the fucking tundra, I'd recommend you look at their new line of Massive Winter Gloves. Can't seem to find a link, but I saw a pair of Calgary (i think) at calbmwtriumph a while back and they looked like they didn't suck in a big way. You can try calling Helimot...but they're not listed on the website.

You get what you pay for. Sometimes more, sometimes less.
  4. stevenknapp

stevenknapp Long timer

Oddometer:
    My standards of what fits and what doesn't are changing I think. They are fine until I try and operate the controls. When I move my thumb the fabric isn't big enough to let my hand stay on the grip. Really sort of odd, and otherwise they are fine. After 3-4 years I think I can cut them some slack and replace them.

The Marmot's look good for winter sports, and I need a pair of something to keep my hands warm as I try to learn how to snowboard. :crazy The one's I'm looking at even have a nose wipe! How do you think the would survive a crash? Plus they cost almost what I'm used to seeing Held's cost. I'll look into a pair, but for the bike? Ya really think so O-Shen? Any recomendations as to type?
    http://www.usoutdoor.com/index_mrm.html

I still want real MC boots, so I'm putting that higher than big $$ gloves. Held stuff is usually $150-200. While I know it's the best, I'm looking to get a bit more than I paid for this round.

There were positive comments on this board about those oddball gloves on eBay, just the summer version. I'll look around at the Bellstaff stuff.
  5. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    I love those oddball gloves and use them here in California every day it doesn't rain.

But I sure haven't figured out the wet-weather glove thing. We've got everything from North Face (work great in the snow but weep in the rain, causing me to weep too), to Widder (don't even think about it), to various and sundry other mo'cycle gloves, none of which stay dry.

Anyone used Gerbings gloves?
  6. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    Not yet, but I'll let you know about 'em right after the Seattle International Motorcycle Show in a couple weeks. Just waiting to pick up Gerberings on the cheap. Too bad our weak local Seator, Patty Murray, didn't have the pull to get the National Sales Tax Holiday passed (much less introduced for consideration). I was holding off on a couple large consumer purchases, but it looks like I'll just have to do my BIG shopping the next time I'm passing through Portland (no sales tax).

Marc
  7. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    :dood dood! that's like next week.
    Good news...I got a comp ticket!!! Max still gets in free.
    I love taking him to the HD, BMW and Ducati booths and sticking him on a bike. He sits there and makes spitty wet motorcycle motor noises.

Then he'll tell the HD guys "Harleys Suck"

and while on the BMW LT he will shout "Daddy it's as big as your truck!" "Yep handles like my truck too, son."

The the Duc salesdroids get the Max Assault "Does it still have rocks in the clutch mister? How much for a slave cylinder? What's the service interval? How much does that cost? Huh? huh? Dweeb. C'mon dad, let's go check out the trials riders"
  8. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    Chopperman wrote:
    That's been my experience with a lot of "cold weather gloves", but I think it has more to do with materials and manner of construction than it does with fit. My last winter gloves just couldn't stand up to wet hands. I tore up the lining just pulling the gloves on. Perhaps a glove like the Held has better insulating and lining materials that can stand the abuse. I know that Harley's top of the line gloves met the criteria for me at around $90. If they do the job and hold up you'll save in the long run.