Winter in Mexico?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by TriplePete, Nov 7, 2004.

1. TriplePete

TriplePete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [font=arial, verdana, helvetica]Hi, I just got wind of this site and I love it, it looks like my kind of crowd :ear ...only I don't ride a dual sport... yet.[/font]

[font=arial, verdana, helvetica]Of course I live in Canada where the winters prevent me from riding so I am considering a bike trip down thru the East coast of Mexico. Since I have never been there I have no clue about climate during winter, road conditions, or how safe it is.

I was wondering if any riders down south have ever ventured to Southern Mexico. I am thinking about driving my truck down to Texas with the FZ1 on the back, then crossing the border by bike and riding to Cancun and return.

How about the Baja penninsula? Safer? better roads. I would like to do it all but I don't think I will have enuff time. Anyone interested in joining me? I am thinking about Jan or Feb depending when I can get time off.
    [/font]

So far I am only doing research so nothing is definate. Any input would be appreciated. :thumb
  2. Curtis

Curtis Life serve the risk taker

Oddometer:
    I would also look to www.horizonsunlimited.com for travel advice.

I've been to baja and thought it was very safe. If I was in a larger Mexican city I would take simular precautions as you would take in Vancouver at night.

The trip down to Creel-Copper canyon is phenominal but they can get snow in jan Feb. Not all of Mexico is warm in the winter.
  3. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    How much will you have after you drop the truck?
  4. TriplePete

Oddometer:
    Time?

It all depends on how much time I can get from work. I figure it might take me 2 to 3 days to get to Texas then spend about 10 days in Mexico depending how much fun I have... and time.

I am also hoping to camp if that is at all possible.
  5. NAVIGATOR

NAVIGATOR Wanderer

Oddometer:
    SOUTH OF THE USA BORDER(friendlier Mexico)
    Hi Fury,
    Several riders from this site have done that trip, do a search on it and something will come out.

Winter on the east coast of Mexico is nothing compared to yours. temperatures are very tropical here, maybe if a cold front hits the area you´ll have low temps (0-7 C), on the north (Tamaulipas) or the mountains, if not then you´ll have temperatures from 15 to 30 C or higher on the coast and the southeastern states (Tabasco, Campeche, Yucatan, Quintana Roo).

The trip you are planning from Matamoros to Can Cun will take at least 3 days to complete (not stopping much), so make your plans carefully if you got limited time to spend.
  6. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Paging Pilot to the White Courtesy Phone.

Peelot to the phone, n00b on line 3.

PM Pilot, betcha he has some good links. The gawdf'ndamned retired bastidge. :D
  7. TriplePete

Oddometer:
    I am going to plan my route so I can see some of the culture Mexico has to offer. Perhaps visit friends in Guadalajara if I can fit it in.

My sister just happen to have a Lonely Planet guide for Mexico... I am getting a better idea now... I just need to find some other riders:nod
  8. TriplePete

Oddometer:
    Well so far there are two of us going to Mexico departing the middle of January 2005. Trip will last from 2 to 4 weeks depending on individual time constraints and homesickness.

I will be trucking my bike to Sacramento CA to meet MikeB. From there we will ride into Mexico's Baja until we reach the ferry at La Paz. The ferry will take us to Mazatlan where we will resume riding East to the Yucatan via Guadalajara.

It's going to be a long trip covering many miles. I know we may not even make it as far as the Yucatan so I am also considering going North from Guadalajara to ride the Copper Canyon (it's paved I assume?) to make our way back to the USA.

Any takers?
  9. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two weeks will get you Sacramento-Baja-Mazatlan-Copper Canyon-Sacramento and give you time to enjoy the ride. It's about 5000 miles depending on routes. If you just want to crank on the miles and ride until you have to stop, then you can go a little farther in 2 weeks. But then Mexico's no fun. With 4 weeks you could make it to Cancun but, again, it's a lot a riding and not a lot of enjoying Mexico. I'm guessing 8000 miles Sac-Baja-Maz-Yucatan-Copper Canyon-Sac. Dan
  10. TriplePete

Oddometer:
    I might be able to spare 6 weeks to do it all. You in dtop? We can stop by SD to meet you. It's on the way I reckon.:nod
  11. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wish I could but have other commitments then. I am doing a 3 week ride in Feb/Mar as far south as Mazanillo then up into the mountains and through the Copper Canyon on the way back.
    I've had a couple of "how-to" articles published about riding south of the border which I can email to you if interested. Dan
  12. topes

topes Banned

Oddometer:
    Any day riding in Mexico is better than being in the US. With that said, there are certainly good and bad places to ride in Mexico. The east coast is okay but is probably my least favorite ride. If I were you I'd head in at Laredo and go down the center of the country. You'll make much better time and there are some great things to see. If I were you and it was my first trip, I'd be heading to the west coast. in 14 days you could easily see several thousand miles of Mexico. A trip or two across the mountains to and from the coast is a necessity. Highway 40 from Durango to Mazatlan is very cool. Highway 200 from Puerto Vallarta down to the Bahias de Huatulco is also very cool. Much like Big Sur in some places without all the tourists.

I have photographs of most of Mexico. If you decide where you might like to go, let me know and I'll provide you with links and recommendations.
  13. topes

topes Banned

Oddometer:
    Here's some photographs of different areas.

https://topes.smugmug.com/Motorcycles

I'm not a professional photographer, (as evidenced by my photographs.) I did not do justice to some areas. If you have a particlar route in mind, let me know and I'll try to better elaborate with words. You won't find many photographs of the east coast.
  14. TriplePete

Oddometer:
    Oh wow, there are so many pics on your smugmug, I am not worthy.:thumb

Thanks for the info Topes.
  15. Scooter

Scooter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to see your making some progress on your trip planning.

Good luck, sounds like a great trip

scooter
  16. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Fury, look for "Travels with Pilot" in Ride Reports. That should give you an idea of what you are looking to do. There are lots of places I haven't been to yet. Every time I go, I find something cool.

Try not to overplan. You will end up getting behind schedule and missing interesting places. It is really easy to get turned around going through towns. Highways go to towns and leave towns, but no rhyme or reason to getting from one side to the other.

I recommend going as far south as you can get in four or five days and start back, doing some serious poking around. Then when you get short on time, you can hightail it back to the border.
  17. topes

topes Banned

Oddometer:
    I'd have to agree. Mexico is far too unpredictable to attempt a rigid schedule. You never know what you'll see or who you'll meet that might peak your interest. I always have a goal for the day but that goal never rules the day. I've made over 600 miles during daylight hours in Mexico, but those days are rare. IMHO, the purpose of the trip is to experience the country and the people. You obviously can't do that if you only leave your bike for gas and food.
  18. bicyclekid

bicyclekid any adventure

Oddometer:
    :rofl yeah i agree thats why i dont have a real plan ..just going to go for it ... remember its the "journey not the destinaition".. (i know i rip that quote off)
  19. TriplePete

Oddometer:
    I don't have a schedual at all really. Unfortunately, I might have to do this trip alone because the other rider might not be able to go.

I am weary about traveling alone, especially since my Spanish is very limited.
    I might have to find an existing trip and join up if they don't plan any off roading.
  20. topes

topes Banned

Oddometer:
    If it were me I'd go alone and I have gone alone. Alone is sometimes the best way to go. No compromises. As far as Spanish, learn enough to find a gas station, find food, and other necessities.

As a side note, Mexicans as a rule aren't familiar with highway numbers. Simply mentioning the name of a city in the direction you're traveling is often enough to get you pointed in the right direction. Always familiarize yourself with the cities out in front of you.

You could easily do this thing alone if you were ambitious enough to learn 50 or so words of Spanish. I could help if you like. Finding a Spanish speaker to help with pronunciations would be better. A Spanish / English dictionary is also helpful.

I plan to take off this spring for Guatemala and Honduras. I plan to go alone because I doubt I'll find anyone willing to sprint to the Guatemalan border. I plan to be at the Guat border in two long days with some night riding on toll roads.