Winter in Mexico?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by TriplePete, Nov 7, 2004.

1. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Topes: When you ride to Guate, rec. you cross the border at Cd. Cuauhtemoc/La Mesilla instead of Tapachula (Tecun Uman). It's much quicker, easier and you don't have to worry so much about ladrones. I'm usually through with all paperwork completed in half an hour or less. It can take a half day or more through Tapachula. Dan
  2. Big John

Big John Lone Star Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Topes:

A buddy and want to make Mexico trip this Spring. Both of us will be on GS's. Plan to coss at Laredo. McAllen or Brownsville. Would like to travel to Colonial Mexico. Neither of us speaks good Spanish however I've worked in S. Tex. many years and understand a little. My wife is fluent & could help if we could reach her by phone. Looks like you live in the Houston area. Would like to meet some weekend over a beer to pick your brain about ideas for the trip.

Regards.
  3. topes

topes Banned

Oddometer:
    Sure, no problem. Sounds like fun. Let me know when you're available.
  4. topes

topes Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the information.. :thumb
  5. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
  6. Red Bull

Red Bull Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. TriplePete

TriplePete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet trip, I assume you came back up the Baja? How was the ferry ride? How much was the ferry?

Did you run into any problems aside from mechanical? ie, corrupt police etc..?

I might do MX alone in Jan.
  8. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on crossing into Mexico the 2nt week of january at McAllen, TX and riding down to colonial Mexico. Where/when you going in at Fury? Might could hook up.
  9. TriplePete

Oddometer:
    That would be nice if we could hook up. I will be heading down around the same time as you. Where do you live?

I was hoping on doing the Baja but that's not set in stone. What is the route you are planning?
  10. CMWoody

CMWoody Banned

Oddometer:
    Got nothing set in stone yet. Going to leave out of Greensboro, NC some time after new years. Thought about heading down to see some friends in San Miguel de Allende and Irapuerto. From there I figured I'd head a little south of Acapulco then back north up the west coast, maybe ferrying over to Cabo heading north through Baja. If I don't do Baja, I'll head up to Copper Canyon. Not really in much of a hurry as I like to stop to take in the surroundings a little.
  11. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Four of us (3 GS's & a KTM 950 Adv) are leaving San Diego mid-Feb, riding as far south along the coast as Manzanillo, then back roads to Guadalajara and on to Zacatecas and Durango. From there a remote, partly dirt route to Parral, on to Creel and back to San Diego the second week in March. Maybe we'll cross paths. Dan
  12. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    I did an 11-day ride through Mexico just before starting this message forum and loved it. Went to Gaudalajara, Acapulco, Mexico City...

Here's what I wrote: http://www.macaskill.com/Mexico/Mexico.html

Went to Baja two years later and didn't like it so much. Got shaken down by the police, etc.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=974&highlight=baja
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1048&highlight=baja

Spent the last two weeks in Southern Mexico, near the Guatemala border. Fantastic! And very unsafe. But you get to see stuff like this:

[​IMG]
  13. TriplePete

Oddometer:
    Looks like you are covering the same distance as me only from the other direction. Do you know when or where abouts you will be crossing the border? Are you travelling alone? We might be able to hook up depending where and when you cross.

As of now, my route is South along the Baja, ferry to Mazatlan, Guadalajara for a few days then the Yucatan via hwy 200, and back home along the east coast to TX.
  14. TriplePete

Oddometer:
    damn you guys and your dual sports:lol3
  15. BeeCeeGS

BeeCeeGS WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer:
    A KTM 950 might make a good replacement for that FZ1.
    :deal
  16. TriplePete

Oddometer:
    I rather have a KLR or a Vstrom 1000. Not really to sure about KTM reliability since not too many people got them here... but I would love to ride a Duke II or 950 Duke.
  17. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Hell, I'd ride a 50cc moped to Mexico if that's all I had...:)
  18. TriplePete

Oddometer:
    So I just brought my FZ in for new tires and general check up. Also picked up a set of Rizoma engine sliders for her as well.

I have decided to leave Vancouver either Christmas day or New Years day. Should arrive in San Diego in 2 days where I will drop the truck off and cross into Mexico on day 3.

My route will be counter clock wise around Mexico with much sight seeing. I will probably spend a few days in Guadalajara with friends, it should be fun.
    Not too sure if anyone else will join me but you are all welcome all or part of the way. Vance has invited me to stay at his place in Meluge on the Baja. He said the roads are in great shape and my FZ will be fine.

Let me know if your interested. If you live in SoCal, I could meet you on the way down.
  19. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Have fun, Fury! It isn't looking good for me to go south this winter. I may yet get to get away in Febuary, but nothing is planned at this time.

As for Spanish, I found the greatest help to me was learning the numbers. Most everything else will be easier if you have some idea what the price is. Be sure to get a little cash (pesos) before you cross the border. I use an ATM card for money while there. You get the best exchange rate that way. With the FZ, you will probably want to use the "Quotas". Those are the toll roads. The "Libres" or free roads are almost as good, and you get to see more. Try to find a good map before you go. I didn't have any luck finding any there. Maybe I was looking in the wrong places.

Plan on stopping before dark. Sometimes it takes a while to find a hotel you want to stay in. Check the room before you pay. DAMHIK Use one with gated or indoor parking.

Don't buy one of the "slushies" from street vendors. Again, DAMHIK.

Pay for your tourista card before you try to leave. You have to go to a major bank to do it.

I like to stay away from the big cities. Crazy traffic and more ladrones.

Take lots of pictures and post them here. Take more than you want to. You won't regret it.

City squares are great places in the evening. Lots of good people watching.

Get used to the idea that women won't make eye contact with you. They get tired of the men messing with them if they do.

Most of all, have fun and smile a lot. It goes a long way with the people there.
  20. Red Bull

Red Bull Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the delay, still updating my photos (only half completed)
    To answerer your questions... we had a awesome time, and YES we went DOWN the Copper Canyon and will be going (North) in Baja. Right now two R1200 GS's and my "Red Bull" R1100 GS are basking in the warm weather of Cabo San Lucas for the second part of our trip in March 5th as we head up Baja. (One of my Amago's has a house there, so we decided to make this an extended multi-part trip! Thank GOD I have my F650 Dakar at home whist I wait.

One of the R1200 GS's had ~6k on it when we started, the other will be hitting 6k by the time it gets back to the bay area. Since I am (recently laid-off) BMW Service manager, I was the traveling mechanic for this ride... and having worked on a few R1200 GS's was ready for most anything being that they were new bikes.

Mind you the three of us are all competitive racers, so we really took these bikes on a HARD ride! We already ripped-off ½ the tread on the new TKC-80’s and Karoos! And the only mechanical failure was my (1997) R1100 GS, and it broke a center stand bolt (from the heavy loads of time no doubt) on the last day as I parked it in Cabo!

As we crossed onto Mexico, there was (thousands?) of Harley-Davidson riders coming back from a rally (Rocky point) where there were several motorcycle fatalities, and one BMW rider! So we paced ourselves and never had any difficulties with the authorities. Yes, there are (always) military checks (for marijuana mostly) but these young men were mostly interested in the bikes and GPS gadgets, so combined with fluent Spanish, we had no problem and later on the AWESOME ride on Spinous Diablo (Devils Spine) we WANTED the military to follow-up as I was responding to (another) Harley-Davidson crashed rider… so contrary to others experience we actually received assistance from these check points!

I will post details, narative and would highly recommend this trip! I will go back to the more difficult off-road ares of the canyon on a 400 cc / 650 cc bike, there are just so many places to go it would take MANY trips to see it all!

Check back on my website as I update he details... and feel free to email me (john@myhomewebsite.com ) if youhave nay more questions. I am really glad I broke-up this trip into two-parts... and look forward to March and the adventure through Baja back to bay area.

So many wonderful people, beautiful places, various weather, and oh the food! :thumb

~ John Saguto - a.k.a "Red Bull"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]