Winter in Mexico?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by TriplePete, Nov 7, 2004.

1. TriplePete

TriplePete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I read your report on macaskill, :thumb I learned quite a bit from your experience, thanks. I don't think my FZ will appreciate topes that you put you poor BWM thru. I can't believe you did all that in such a short time.
  2. Lost

Lost n00b

Oddometer:
    Howdy Fury;

A few folks here have suggested picking up a some survival Spanish. I've been using a tutor service in Venezuela for a couple months. Works OK (got disconnected a couple of times) but you set your own schedule and it's really inexpensive. http://www.speakteacher.com/

One common complaint is the occasional tank of bad gas. You might want to take a spare fuel filter. Its small and light, and might save your day.
  3. Red Bull

Red Bull Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, My R1100 GS was reacting poorly, but the new (full closed loop anti-knock sensor R1200's preformed as if nothing was wrong! Interesting! Another impressive improvement for the new GS!)

RE the Spanish... does this on line thing really work? I might recommend listening to Spanish radio and TX news, (who tend to speak slowly and clearly) something that I am trying to dedicate an hour each day... it works! :nod
  4. TriplePete

Oddometer:
    So I will be spending new years in LA with friends before saddling up for mexico. Will cross the border Jan 1 or 2 spending the first night of Mexico in Ensenada. Hopefully I can hook up with other riders from TJ to Ensenada. :thumb
  5. TriplePete

Oddometer:
    Here is a pic of my purposed route around Mexico. Leaving Jan 2 from LA after some partying. This route is subject to change and I will spend time soaking up the sun, scenery, and culture. Should take me about a month or so.

My friend in Guadalajara says it's cold this time of year... 18 degrees C .... at night.. :D 25 during the day. Bhahahahaaaaaaa.

[​IMG]
  6. Red Bull

Oddometer:
    I like the route... but I was wondering if the number represent days? If so, and having JUST returned from (part) of this route, you should consider adding more days... almost TWICE as many. Some if the distances on the MAP take much longer to cover. I would ride 6-hours some days and only cover 100-200 miles! check out my website for some map/distances covered.

Awesome trip... just plan on adding 14 more days and you will not only cover the areas you mapped-out, and enjoy the time you are in these wonderful places.

[​IMG]
  7. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    I have to agree with Red Bull. Not that it's not doalble, but it seems like a quick drive through Mexico rather than a tour of it. To cover those distances you'll have to stay on the major roads and basically do an IBR type ride. Get somewhere, take a picture to show you've been there, get back on the bike and keep riding. I think there is a lot more to see in Mexico than just different roads.

I'd recommend cutting the trip shorter (distance-wise) if you can't add more time in Mexico. It's a beautiful coutry, there are millions of things to see and do in each region, not to mention opportunities to interact with the locals, and the those regions and people are all very different. IMHO, taking your time and enjoying fewer places a bit longer makes for a better vacation. For reference, next year, I am planning a similar loop (only clockwise). I have 6 weeks, and I am not sure it's enough time for all the things I want to see... :cry
    Well, that only leaves me with a good reason to take another trip later. :D

Gustavo
  8. Red Bull

Oddometer:
    :nod Yep and make sure you get your bike registered... it's good for three months and you will also need to get insurance. There is a lot of information on all these details... but with out one of these (windshield sticker) registrations, the many military security check-points would have been a lot more time consuming.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. dtop1

dtop1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The windshield sticker is good for 6 months and it's not recommended to stick it on the w/s of your bike. They have value to people and, if someone takes it off your screen, you will have no end of hassles. Carry it in your tankbag or on your person to show at the checkpoints. Make sure you turn it in before the 6 months is up or it will be very dificult for you to get a vehicle into Mexico again. Dan
  10. TxDieHart

TxDieHart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Corpus Christi, Texas No Hills but we have a Beach
    Besides that the weather will destroy the sticker, the only time I have ever had it checked is at the first check point entering Mexico about 25 miles from the US border.
    I didn't turn mine in after a trip two years ago, it was no problem on my trip this year. I still had the old sticker, expired for over a year, turned it in this year, they canceled the old one and issued and new one in just a few minutes I was on the same bike. My riding buddy still had an expired sticker from a Suburban that he had driven in Mexico the previous year, he was able to cancel that sticker also without the vehicle being present.
    I did do a lot of needless worrying before that, and did turn in my sticker on this trip it just takes a few additional minutes at the border. They do have a modern computer system and can keep treck of these stickers. They can charge you an import duty if you don't take the vehicle out of Mexico.
  11. NAVIGATOR

NAVIGATOR Wanderer

Oddometer:
    SOUTH OF THE USA BORDER(friendlier Mexico)

I agree completely, that´s an Iron butt you´re planning, ¡ GET MORE TIME !
  12. TriplePete

Oddometer:
    Those number represent stops i used to plot the route on MS streets and trips, not days. The little blu and yellow moons represent stops according to 10 hours of riding but i won't be following those scheduals.

MS maps and street calculated that route would cover over 10000 kms in 18 days. Of course I will be spending much more time than 18 days. I imagine the adventure may make me stay even longer... up to 2 months, the money should run out by then :lol3

As for the tourist card and vehicle permit you need to specify the duration. Apparently they use 30 days as a default if they can't communicate with you. I think I might keep it as a souvenier... then next time I do MX will be on a dual sport I hope so bike and plate will be different.
  13. NAVIGATOR

NAVIGATOR Wanderer

Oddometer:
    SOUTH OF THE USA BORDER(friendlier Mexico)
    Got us for a moment there :nod
  14. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    Ahhh!!! OK, now it makes more sense. BTW, MS S&T is not reliable outside the US with the version you have. Just a quick look at some of the distances between the overnight spots tells me that they have no idea about the roads they are sending you on. Speaking of maps, the AAA map is not a good source either. It's OK for general planning, when you get to Mexico, look for Guia Roji state maps or road atlas. They publish some of the better maps of Mexico. Look at this thread for more info on maps.

I know some people say they let the temporary import permit expire both while in Mexico or having left without cancelling it without any concequences. It's possible. It depends on how lucky you get with the customs official you are dealing with. The worst that can happen is that they'll charge your credit card and/or wont let you into Mexico with a vehicle again. Most likely if they decide to do something about it, you'll have to pay some sort of fine (either official or unofficial, mordida :evil ). I am very much against the mordida culture so I try to avoid getting in a situation that will tempt me to use corruption to get out of a problem. In 13 years of traveling in Mexico I have yet to pay a mordida for anything. Maybe I'm a bit closer to the Mexican culture than most people on this site, so I take it a bit more personally. :dunno It's only money and your conscience.

Buen viaje,

Gustavo
  15. TriplePete

Oddometer:
    sorry, the program i am using is MS Map Point North America. I wonder if it's the same.
  16. Curtis

Curtis Life serve the risk taker

Oddometer:
    You need to cancel it. It doesn't matter if you have a different bike they will know from the passport and won't let you in. Keep the receipt after you cancel it too.

The last time I went down there was a guy who claimed to have cancelled it and had since sold the vehicle. The mexican official claimed he hadn't and he spend all afternoon trying to get in. Why create the potential for the hassle when it takes 5 minutes before you leave the country.
  17. TriplePete

Oddometer:
    I will turn it in. I do plan on doing MX again someday. Don't need the hassle in the future.

I guess I will have to settle for a digital pic of it.
  18. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    Mine is called MS Streets & Trips but looks the same and it also seems to route very similarly. It did give me an extra night when I plotted your course in S&T. When you look at the more detailed maps, you'll see how many of Mexico's roads are missing from MS program.

Have you ever looked at this site http://www.maps-of-mexico.com/mexico_states.shtml ?

Gustavo
  19. TriplePete

Oddometer:
    Yeah, they do miss alot of roads, but the program knows they are there if you play with the routing ooptions. In maps of the US, it will show hidden roads if you zoom in further... especially the hidden forrest service roads that we carvers love so much.

I plan to optimize my stops to allow for sight seeing time in certain areas. I will get a better idea of distances I can cover once I am on the roads.
  20. TriplePete

Oddometer: