Winter in Mexico?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by TriplePete, Nov 7, 2004.

1. ezekiel

ezekiel Lost again

Oddometer:
    i rode from chicago to belize and back in 9 days my son and i on connies. go for it riding in mexico is awesome.
  2. iridefar

iridefar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am planning a trip from Vicksburg, MS to Belize and I will have about 14 days to do it. Can you suggest a good route? I have an ST1100 but I will probably be doing this ride on a 2005 BMW F650 GS, so I will not have the great range of the ST.
    Thanks.
  3. ezekiel

ezekiel Lost again

Oddometer:
    basically just stay on the east side of the country,along the gulf. good idea to not bring the st as the topes are huge. real tough on the connie. stay in small towns and dont ride at night. try to find motojoe in advrider for better advice. he may not be reachable now though because he and elektron are in mexico on drz400's heading to copper canyon.
  4. TriplePete

TriplePete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Map Point says this is the quickest route.

[​IMG]
  5. topes

topes Banned

Oddometer:
    That's basically, my preferred route. I'm not much a fan of the east coast. There are plenty of ways to bypass Mexico City. I'm not skert to go right through. I thought the place was pretty amazing. Plus, once you've told folks you've ridden a motorcycle alone through Mexico City they tend to step back a few feet and question your sanity. Tell some people from Mexico you've been there and they'll react the same way. I personally don't see what all the fuss is about. When I crossed the first time, I didn't have a map of the city. I entered in the southeast corner and headed northwest cause I knew that's where Highway 57 left the city. Not unlike a lot of big cities, no one seemed to take notice of me.
  6. topes

topes Banned

Oddometer:
    For those planning to come down through Texas on the way into Mexico, let me know when you're coming. I might be able to ride down to the border and walk you through the paperwork. If I have enough time, I might ride down into the interior a bit.
  7. TxDieHart

TxDieHart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Corpus Christi, Texas No Hills but we have a Beach
    I have a hard time believing that going through Dallas could be the fastest trip through Texas coming from the East unless your restricted to riding on huge boring freeways. I would head South and go through or around Houston, to Corpus Christi, then to El Indio South of Harlingen, then south on Mexico 101 to Ciudad Victoria.
  8. TriplePete

TriplePete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wonder too, but I think the speed limits are higher for these routes. Definately not my choice of roads but time is a factor for him.
  9. iridefar

iridefar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As an Iron Butt Rider I can tell you that through Dallas is the fastest way, but I am going to come through Houston via Baton Rouge for this trip. This allows me to leave from work and spend the night at my parents' house in St. Francisville, LA before starting the "official" trip.
  10. motojoe

motojoe Arrest Cheney and Bush

Oddometer:
    Iridefar,
    take the 650 and head down, but dont forget the miles in the mountains will be fun, but take much more time. I hit a mix of snow and rain with some intense 20 foot sight distance fog just north of DF in the mountains coming in to pachuca, hidalgo. First class mountain road cruising but slow. If belize is the goal and you are on time constraints the coast is faster, but less winding.

pm me for specifics if interested.

joe