Winter life decisions(South america vs whatever)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by lstzephyr, Sep 6, 2007.

1. lstzephyr

lstzephyr Solo con rambo

Oddometer:
    So I'm youngish...(22) and yff are sometimes wiser than me and I'd like to ask your advice. I'm sure this is a somewhat sketchy thing to do but what the hell this is adventure rider. I'd like some help/advice deciding,

Option 1) I'm thinking about going on a big trip(4-6 months, or $4k whichever comes first) through south america. Peru, Chile, Brazil, etc. I know a tiny bit of spanish and plan to learn more so that should be set. I've been to mexico and have wandered about the USA a bit so I'm not completly ignorant of trips. I've heard that winter here is summer there and I'm not that familair with it. Tell me whats awesome about south america please. How long could I go on 4k as long as I live cheap. I went about a week and a half in USA on less than 300 and had a blast. It was one of the more memorable expierences of my life.

Option 2)Go back to Aspen, Colorado and work as a lift operator like I did last year. I loved the job, but I have done it already and feel like I should move onto something else. Get on with my life if you will. It was a wonderful season last year, but been there done that. And I wouldn't be making money or anything(I'm very poor when I'm there). Working in aspen last year was also one of the more memorable expierences of my life.

option 3) Keep working my crappy hotel job for awhile and have a "nice" resume. I don't like my job much and have no real obligations or debt so I don't really care. This would probably be one of the more boring expierences of my life but I could save up alot of money.

op. 4) go to aspen then go to s. a. Not really an option. Its a complicated reason but its not.

Option 1 seems the most daunting. It would be somewhat of a scary thing to do, just take off into an unknown area. But I'd get to see the world(part at least) and that alone makes it sound awesome. I've dreamed about going there ever since I read some of Ted Simons books and met some people from Peru. Op. 2 would be repetitive but a 4 month party and a ton of snowboarding. Op. 3 would be boring.

Please discuss:deal
  2. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    The trouble with South America is shipping. I'm assuming you will be taking your bike, so you will be shipping it both ways. From the states, that's going to bust your budget right there. By the time you fly down to your bike, you're broke. If you ship from Panama, you can do it for around $1000-$1500 round trip. Seriously cuts into your budget, but still gives you a bit to play with.

With a $4000 budget, I would stay this side of the Panama Canal. Your money will last much longer in Guatemala, El Salvador, Nicaragua, and Honduras than it will anywhere else. Mexico and Costa Rica have gotten more expensive the last few years, but obviously you have to ride through Mexico twice. Costa Rica is very cool, but very expensive. The prices are quite like the states there.

Does that help any?
  3. lstzephyr

lstzephyr Solo con rambo

Oddometer:
    Yes it does help. I never really intended to ship it. I figure I'll pick up whatever cheap as possible motorcycle I can and head south from Az. I figure worst case it blows up and I take a bus. So yes I would be this side of the panama canal for a bit.
  4. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Well, there is this little problem called the Darien Gap that prevents you from riding to South America. People have ridden through it, but its not what you would call a walk in the park.

Heres some light reading for you. :D
  5. triumphant

triumphant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have ridden all over the world. The ride from Texas to Ushuaia taught me more than I learned all the time before. On these rides I met people like yourself experiencing life on the cheap. I can afford to travel without expenses concerns. But was always amazed and envious of those individuals who took to the road without expense money.
    On the ferry just north of Ushuaia I met a fellow from Belgium who had been on the road on a touring bicycle for 2 years. Working and traveling as he went along. When he said I could visit him at his home, I asked when he would be at home. He smiled and said, "Maybe in three years".
    A young, beautiful, college student riding a Honda Trans Alp sat on the side of the trail on the Continental Divide Trail at the top of the Rocky mountains. She was out of water and dehydrated. Sun burned and tired she accepted all the water I could furnish. When asked, she told me she had just come from Iceland where she toured the island. She was from Denmark and said she would go home when her money ran out. She said all this with a sparkling smile and a good attitude.
    An old man sat on the side of the road in the Dolomites in northern Italy. He hit a slick spot of spilled olive oil and broke his clutch lever on a BMW Dakar. We taped everything back together and laughed over the scrapes to his helmet and riding jacket.
    He must have been near seventy. A New Zealander, he smiled as he told me he was on his way to Mongolia and points east, eventually toward the Phillipines.
    The experience and the satisfaction is the payoff. Adventure just comes from being there. Why don't you just see how far the four-thousand will take you - and then maybe you'll find a way to keep going.
    I know someone you should meet. His name is Dan Walsh. Like me he is a writer. He is a far superior writer than me, and more traveled. A brit, he is somewhere in central or South America as we speak. The last I heard he was on an island off the coast of Nicaragua living with a female friend. Ask him how you live without money. He'll laugh - and then not tell you!
  6. lstzephyr

lstzephyr Solo con rambo

Oddometer:
    Pilot- About the darien gap, so its basically a 100 mile bog/swamp right? Are there ferries or something around it or is that it? You go by boat around or through it?

Triumphant- Thanks, that is inspiring. I've been that guy before, if I did it like last time and stuck to the US I think I could go a couple months on 4k so maybe I will do just that, and take off south.
  7. VelvtRide

VelvtRide i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer:
    There's a book floating around here called "Obsessions Die Hard" by Ed Culbertson. It's about a man riding through the Darien on a BMW R80 back somewhere in the 1980's.

I read it and sent it to another inmate who sent it to another... there's a thread here. The book would really help you understand what to expect as well as give you a great few days of entertainment while reading. :D
  8. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buy a round trip ticket to Buenos Aires, then either backpack it or buy a cheap bike when you get there. Argentina is super cheap, beautiful, developed, easy to travel. You could also hit Peru, Bolivia, Uruguay if you get a chance.

At least, that's what I'd do if I was in your situation. But that just me. :D

Want to trade lives for a few months?