Winter Madness 2010

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Lost Roadie, Dec 19, 2010.

1. MinervaX

MinervaX n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Joe & Nancy, so sorry to hear about the crash... hope you're doing well, and we're wishing you a speedy recovery! I just got new revit pants so when you're feeling better and the bike is repaired, lets do a little easy off roading!

Allie
  2. Savoir-Faire

Savoir-Faire Powered by Hate

Oddometer:
    Wow, this sucks. I've long thought your ride reports to be some of the best on the site here, and through all your mechanical based travails, I've always been surprised you stayed on a BMW. Maybe it's time for a KTM? :D That being said, your R1200 is a fine, fine bike. they were always so elemental to me.

Get well soon, and stay well. If you need anything back in Chicago, shoot me a PM. I can get things shipped or take care of something you need if you're laid up.
  3. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:

Hey Joe, because of you I just bought my first pressure suit from an inmate. Glad to hear you're feeling better!!!
  4. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I nearly crashed on the street last fall causing some sole searching and ultimately a commitment to slow down and just enjoy the ride. Pushing my limits is what got me in trouble, seems like a mechanical failure would be harder to deal with mentally. Like you said, it's fortunate you were riding in a group at the time.
    I'm happy to hear that you are ok even if your bike is not. FWIW, your ride reports have the best combination of adventure, writing, and photography I have come across on ADV. Like many musicians in the digital age, lacking financial compensation for your creativity shows you have a true passion for what you do. Thanks for letting us download it for free.
  5. macgart

macgart johnny mac

Oddometer:
    Finn, I'm really glad you're OK. I've really enjoyed your threads and personal growth over the years. You are inspiring on many different levels.

I shared your video with several friends so they could see how quickly a crash can happen; even to a highly competent and experienced rider. It always makes me shake my head when my friends who dress up like robocop for dirt riding, wear only jeans and a tee shirt on street. I hope seeing the video of your unfortunate accident will help wake them up.

Last spring I was riding on the 605 freeway leaving LA, just cruising with traffic at about 80 or so, when a semi in the next lane blew a tire. A large hunk of rubber skipped off the car in front of me and hit me square on my left shoulder. I'm lucky it didn't take me down. I was wearing all my gear and I firmly believe that my heavy coat and gloves saved me. My arm and shoulder hurt for hours afterward.

I can't afford Rukka but I still buy the best I can afford. I personally like to have at least CE approved armor.

Whether you believe in a higher being or not, thanks to fate, karma, God, good luck, et al, that someone came along quickly to help you. It never ceases to amaze me that when you need it the most, someone just happens to show up.

Here's to a rapid recovery and looking forward to more adventures and insights into life.
  6. Looper

Looper The Dude Abides!

Oddometer:
    It had to be those damned cows, just standing there triing to pretend that they aren't up to anything.

Joe, heal up and ride on!
  7. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    Life moves on, wounds are a healin'... things might actually turn out good.

In the mean time, Nancy hit the finish line on her F800 R today at Wllow Springs Raceway. :clap

I have a whole lot of out loud thinking to do soon, but in the mean time I believe this image says it all.

[​IMG]
  8. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Great pic, look like she's having a great time :ricky. Is the camera on her helmet the same one you were using when you had your misfortune?
  9. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    More track pics Finn!
  10. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam

Yeah, I have no doubt there's a huge smile under that helmet as she's complaining about sore face muscles today!

And yes, that is THE camera that delivered that fateful video.
  11. jazzdrum69

jazzdrum69 Street seeking dirt & camping in DC

Oddometer:
    can't see the video for some reason...it says it is a vimeo plus feature or something. Glad you're OK. Great thread!!! and photos.
  12. jiml8

jiml8 n00b

Oddometer:
    That's all I can say. Wow. Glad you are recovering.

Bikes are great. Riding is a joy. But make no mistake; if ANYTHING goes wrong...mechanical, rider error...anything, you stand to get hurt.

Me, I have two bikes, a Vstrom 1000 and a touring bike. I've dropped the Strom any number of times in difficult off-road conditions, but always under circumstances where I knew it might happen and I was prepared.

Up until 5 Feb of this year, my touring bike was a Yamaha Venture. On 5 Feb, I hit a car with my Venture, totaling it and leaving myself face down on the road unconscious for roughly 20-30 minutes. It was my fault. I wasn't pushing any limits, just on a routine ride, and I misjudged a situation. I thought I had the right of way when I didn't. I've been riding for 40 years and never thought I'd do something like that. But it happened. I did.

I was wearing a full-face helmet (which was damaged in the crash), a leather jacket, a leather vest under the jacket, gauntlets, boots, and jeans. I came out of it with a concussion, a crack in my left thumb, hyperextension damage to all joints in my left hand (I must have gotten it over my head when I was flying), and abrasions on both knees through the jeans, but no tear in the jeans.

I got an ambulance ride and was treated and released. All I can say is: "All the right gear, all the time."

My new touring bike is a K1200LT.
  13. jiml8

jiml8 n00b

Oddometer:
    Why didn't that engine cut out when that bike went down? It should have done so.
  14. TedShred

TedShred PHAT BASTARD

Oddometer:
    Why would it? These bikes don't have auto-shut down switches when tipped over...

Most times when I've tipped over my 12GS the rear wheel is off the ground and the motor continues to run:lol3
  15. Goran69

Goran69 MNE

Oddometer:
    Well I am so glad that you are Okl. Horrible crash .....Looking at it ....the only thing that came to my mind is ....what else I should get for protection.....

At the end after I understood that you are ok.......sorry for the bike...to bad....
  16. RubberNeckin

RubberNeckin bOObs

Oddometer:
    Shit dude, that was a bad scene man.:yikes I am so stoked that you were able to.... well walk away from that!!!!!! I got two holes in my left leg from a compound that I got years ago, and my crash does not even come close to yours. You got a good buddy looking out for you for sure man, hope you get back to normal soon. :bmwrider :stoned
  17. Karel

Karel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same thing happened to me two days ago. I was able to limp back almost all the way to dealer, but I was about two miles short when the battery was dead. Called the dealer and they came to pick me up. No I am waiting for a new generator to be replaced. I am glad that this happened at 34,400 miles on the clock. If this happened about Month later and I would have to pay at least $1000.
  18. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Joe I assumed you're all healed up by now? Hope all is well, missing reading your posts, what's been the latest adventure :dunno, or you back on a job to make a little $$